“A VERY WELL RUN SHEARINGS HOTEL”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Bay Grand Hotel

Bay Grand Hotel
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Exmouth
england
“A VERY WELL RUN SHEARINGS HOTEL”
Reviewed 14 January 2014

Just returned from a very enjoyable 4 day break with National Holidays. This is a very well-run hotel, clean, good food and varied entertainment. Bingo on 2 nights - said there were un- sufficient for Bingo on the Sunday night which we found rather strange ..... just lower the prizes and I am sure everyone would have been happy ! Only one minor gripe - no one comes round the dining room at Dinner asking if you would like a drink. Didn't fancy carrying drinks from the up-stairs bar. So not only are diners missing out at having a glass of wine with their meal - Shearings are missing out on the opportunity to sell more drinks. That said, I can recommend this hotel, I am sure you will not be disappointed. An added bonus - good weather too

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank garner
grandhotelexmouth, General Manager at Bay Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
Thank you for your review.
I would like to say sorry for the lack of wine service in the restaurant, I will be speaking to my Bars Manager to try to find the reason why this was not so during your stay. the reason for having no bingo on this night was because of the lack of players we do need a certain amount to play. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you again.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
Somerset
Reviewed 12 January 2014 via mobile

Booked short notice so got a good deal, staff very friendly and efficient. Room smelt quite bad, damp patches on ceiling, bathroom was howling. Tiny, mouldy, shower designed for the vertically challenged and it overflowed after five minutes use. Breakfast Luke warm, obviously been cooked in advance, ordered a full breakfast and it arrived two minutes later. We paid forty odd quid for bed and breakfast, if you pay any more than this then you have been ripped right off.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank mattthekat
grandhotelexmouth, General Manager at Bay Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
I am pleased you found your stay value for money, sorry to hear you had a couple of problems during your stay. I have noted your comments and will investigate these matters.
General Manager.

Travellers are raving about these Exmouth hotels

wolverhampton
Reviewed 10 January 2014

This was the ninth time we have used Shearings for our winter breaks,i have to say this was the best.Everything from the room ,restaurant.bar and entertainment was great.Our room was to the rear { #12 } was spotless, comfortable and quiet.All the staff were great in particular Ara and Mariana.Please pass on our thanks,just say table 31 to Ara and the Hoola Hoola dancer to mariana they will understand. [ Chris and Mick ]

Room Tip: Listening to other guests the rooms to the rear are the quietest due to the wind noise at the front...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank darelynmick
Thank you for taking the time to write a such a positive review.
I will pass on your comments to the rest of the Team especially Ara and Marriana.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Grand in the near future.
Kenny.
Holywell, North Wales
Reviewed 26 December 2013

This stay was for Xmas, a 'package' including transport to the hotel. On arrival I found I had to climb steps to access the hotel and I have restricted mobility. I didn't know that once inside there was no main lift, only a small one at the rear, which brought me up a long way from our room at the front of the hotel and still included climbing small sets of stairs anyway! The only other way to access our room was to climb the two sets of steep stairs, up and down, every time I wished to leave our room, which was on the first floor. As I use a wheeled walker or stick it meant that once in our room I was loathe to go out again, except to go to the restaurant, which was also down more steep stairs in the basement. I did not go back downstairs for the entertainment as I couldn't face the stairs. However, despite feeling trapped, at times, in our room, the staff were very good, especially so in the restaurant. We had paid extra for a sea view premier room and it was large with a new bathroom. However, there was restricted access in to the shower and also around the toilet. The food was plentiful but not top quality and general hotel decor 'tired' in places. We understand a new main lift will be fitted in March 2014!!

Room Tip: Front sea view, costing extra, but may get hot in summer.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank 38John38
grandhotelexmouth, General Manager at Bay Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 29 December 2013
Thank you for your review.
I am pleased to hear you still enjoyed your stay despite having to use our other lift at the back of the hotel, we will be having a new lift fitted in the next few months, I am sorry for the inconvenience this caused you.
Leigh on sea
Reviewed 11 December 2013

We recently spent a very enjoyable 5 days at your hotel with a Shearings coach holiday.The Hotel staff made us very welcome, and nothing was too much trouble for them. We had an elderly relative with us and had asked for a room for her near to our bedroom. She had one just 3 doors away, and both rooms had been re furbished,and were very acceptable,clean,cosy and smart.My husband prefers blankets on his bed,so I asked at reception if this would be possible.Within 15 minutes there was a member of staff in our bedroom seeing to our request. The meals were excellent and a good choice. Our Spainish waiter Moses was very friendly and obliging,always with a cheerful smile. The evening entertainment each night was very enjoyable and the 4 free drinks each day whether it was a coffee or glass of wine was great. The weather for mid November was also very sunny and mild.It was a very pleasant holiday.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank janice b
grandhotelexmouth, General Manager at Bay Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 15 December 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, it is always a pleasure to hear how much you
enjoyed your stay with us, I will pass on your words of praise to Moises.
Once again a big thank you from all the team here at the Grand in Exmouth hope to see you again soon.
Ulverston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 December 2013

My wife and I arrived at this hotel late afternoon on 18th November 2013. We were greeted by 2 lovely people, who were friendly, helpful, and gave us everything we asked for. Once we had settled in, we explored the hotel and found it to be well decorated and reasonably clean throughout. The bar and entertainment area was well appointed and on the ground floor. The ballroom and bar in the basement was no longer being used for that purpose, and appeared to be just a storage area for broken and unused items from the hotel. The restaurant was also situated in the basement level, and was accessed by way of a very narrow stairway. The restaurant could also be accessed by a lift, which was in constant use, so could entail some waiting time. The breakfasts were very good with plenty of choice, but the evening meals were very average. For the price we paid, we found the meals to be acceptable.
The hotel was in a very good position, near to the seafront. The town was easily accessible and only a short walk away through the park. There were plenty of eating and drinking places in the town, and of reasonable quality.
Overall, we had a very pleasant stay for 4 lovely days.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tony5998
grandhotelexmouth, General Manager at Bay Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
Thank you for your review, I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.
We do offer very good value, and try our best to ensure that all of our guests enjoy their stay with us.
Once again thank you for taking the time to write a review.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 December 2013

My husband and I, along with two of our friends have just had a really good extended weekend at the Bay Grand Hotel, Exmouth with National Holidays. We paid a small supplement for sea views and it was well worth it as the views are beautiful. The whole hotel has been updated and it was really warm and comfortable.Exmouth is a very quiet resort so we really appreciated the evening entertainment, the food too was really good, with something for everyone.We are regulars with National Holidays and this hotel is one of the best we have visited although the resort may be too quiet for some.

Room Tip: Request a sea view, we find these rooms are always nicer than the others and well worth a small supp...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank oldham3
grandhotelexmouth, General Manager at Bay Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
Thankyou for your review. I am pleased to see that you enjoyed all aspects of your weekend break with us. I do agree that the seaview rooms are worth the small extra supplement because we do have such stunning views right across the estuary to Dawlish Warren and beyond to Torbay Brixham and Berryhead area. Good to hear you enjoyed the food and appreciated the evening entertainment.
Thankyou once again