“Just a cafe”

Franklins
Ranked #36 of 127 Restaurants in Exmouth
Cuisines: British
Good for: Child-friendly, Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Drinks, Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Worcestershire
“Just a cafe”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013 via mobile

Had early evening meal. Presentation and quality poor. Asked for mayonnaise and I was given squeezy bottle, a little ramekin would have been better. Home made chips would have improved the meal greatly. Shame as this cafe has potential.

Wine was really well chilled which was great

• Visited October 2013

Bath
“Cafe food disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2013

Had lunch here. It's a good place to have coffee, but I would not eat lunch here again.
The food was reasonably priced and filling, but just a bit unexciting. My order turned out to be two pieces of breaded chicken in a panini with chips....not as promising as described on the menu.
My partner's salad was also rather plain....it ought to be possible to open a bag of fresh mixed salad leaves. They really need to look again at their food offer, as there is room in Exmouth for more lunchtime quality eateries (judging from our quick walk around). I would happily pay a bit more for better food.
Having said that, the cafe has a pleasant ambiance and the service was good; and I would consider it again for coffee (especially if they start to offer scones?).

• Visited September 2013
andover
“Good brekkie”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

Good breakfast, good snacks and the wine always nice and cold. Good place to people watch outside when the weather is nice too.

Visited August 2013
Ottery St. Mary, United Kingdom
“Nice location & staff, school dinner food of poor quality, slow service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

Franklins is in a nice location in the centre of town. The waiting staff were all very nice, although I did find the were spoken to quite harshly by the manager at the time. We ordered a panini and fishcakes. We were told there was a 25 min wait on food but the dishes took 50 mins to arrive. The panini was undercooked, far to bready and the filling was really sparse. It doesn't cost a huge amount more to put extra filling in and buy a better quality panini but it would have made a huge difference. The chips with the panini were luke warm. The fish cakes tasted ok but to be honest it was dished up like something out of a school dinner and the dish just gave the overall impression and taste of poor quality.

• Visited August 2013
“Not a bar during the day according to staff”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2013

I used to use Franklins a lot in the past but sadly its service and philosophy has changed and I will not be visiting again.
My wife and I decided to go yesterday for lunch, it was. Glorious day.
I ordered drinks and 2 lunch dishes at the bar, a panini and ploughmans. I was told he drinks out be brought outside to us but after 10 minutes still no drinks, it was only a pint and a half.
I went inside to b to,d that drinks are poured in order and therefore I had to wait. Most of the other orders were coffees but despite the bar bing empty, pumps not being used, apparently only one person was legally old enough to pour and they work in a strict order.
I asked what if I had only ordered drinks but the response was the same. I asked was it a bar in the day where you could just have a drink to be told not really. The sign outside clears says bar and cafe.
I wonder if the philosophy will change in be winter when people will not be sitting outside eating, my trade will be gone anyway.
The meal came but was over priced for the ploughmans, I suspect vat was charged despite I being all cold, bread was warm, a sneaky trick.
Salad was minimal and no coleslaw.
The panini was ok but chips cold.
No follow up at the table and plates not cleared on completion, we left but will not be returning
A great shame as used to be great

• Visited August 2013