“Bring your own glasses for wine”
Review of The Powder Monkey

The Powder Monkey
Ranked #44 of 127 Restaurants in Exmouth
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating
Description: J D Wetherspoon Pub. Providing food from 8am - 11pm Daily. Alcohol from 9am daily. All JDW Club promtions.
Exmouth, United Kingdom
“Bring your own glasses for wine”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Seriously, we have been coming here every week for months for the steak night and cleaning our wine glasses as we go. What has prompted me to write this is the managers response to our first complaint - Can't help the water down here !
To be honest, I live locally and find the addition of rinse aid and salt gets rid of this problem, but the glasses generally have lip marks and scum stains as well, some of which cannot be removed by our usual paper serviette solution. The attitude to this problem is just not good enough and needs to be addressed.
I know it's a cheap steak night but why ask hoe you want your steak cooked (medium rare) when it comes out well done (very) for the last few weeks. We told the waitress and last week, she told the manager, but nothing was done . We didn't want to wait for another steak as it was so busy and we had already waited ages. But it would have been nice to get the problem acknowledged by the management who were told but chose to ignore it.

I feel torn to complain about these cheap meals but at the end of the day if it's not a nice experience then what's the point of it being cheap, why not stay at home with a steak and wine of better quality?

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank rubble07

devon
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“good food! disgusting service”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I often visit the powder monkey for a meal with friends and never have any problems! good is lovely and very cheap !! however the waitress with the dark hair and red tattoo on the right shoulder was gross. her manors to the customers around me where horrible and when coming to serve me my food she placed it bang on the table and walked away without putting it in my place !!!!

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank killahodge
Crediton, United Kingdom
“Very good food”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Excellent food and nice setting. The best food I have eaten in a Wetherspoons. All of my party agreed. I had the surf and turf and the steak was especially good, tender and perfectly cooked.

Good service and good value.

Visited July 2014
Zurich, Switzerland
“Great Pub and Excellent Food”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Nice Pub with lots of good beers and the food is great value plus it has a nice outdoor area at the front.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank John T
“Good but let down by poor extras and overall costs of drinks”
Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

I we ordered three currys and one gammon, they were all excellent, except the samosa and onion baji which came as an extra

These did not turn up with the meal and were supplied after a short wait. It was rubbish, the samosa was stale and the baji cooked almost to a cinder. It appeared to have been sat around the kitchen for a long time and used to avert the problem of not providing it with the meal. I personally could not have put it in front of a paying customer

Whilst we are on the negatives I bought and excellent pint of real ale and a very average large glass of wine, I was rather disappointed that the overall price was exactly the same as in my seafront local which is one of the more expensive establishments in town

Will I be back, Yes but keeping a watchful eye on what I am served and the prices of anything other than the beer

Visited June 2014