“Disappointing - over rated and under staffed”
Review of Michael's Restaurant - CLOSED

Michael's Restaurant
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Having seen the good reviews on here my husband & I decided to take some visiting family to Michaels on the last night of their stay for a special dinner but found it to be very disappointing.

The restaurant is tiny and you have to go up an alley and in a side door. It looks like someone’s converted front room and hallway with stairs leading upstairs where all the cooking is done and brought downstairs to be served.

The service was slow with only 1 waitress having to serve 5 busy tables and we had to wait quite a time even for her to come and take our drinks order and when she did get to us she did not have a pen to write it down!

There was a party of 3 men in the corner whose conversation was so loud that it reverberated in the small area and drowned out everyone else’s attempts at a pleasant conversation and spoilt any potential ambience.

A round of wood was brought to the table with 5 thin slices of bread and a few nuggets of butter to be shared between the 4 of us which meant each of us was too polite to take the last round. Unlike in France, there was not enough bread offered and it was not readily replenished – very unsatisfactory.

Two of us had mussels as starters and although there were finger bowls supplied there was no dish supplied in which to put the shells and, of course, no bread to mop up the sauce. My husband had chicken livers and bacon starter which, although it looked appetising, the portion was very small in comparison to the price charged.

Our main courses again took a long time to come and when they did they were not very hot - my duck was only lukewarm and over salted.

When the waitress brought our wine to the table it was the wrong one and she then had to go and find the right one. As I was driving I asked for a cranberry juice which was eventually brought after I had finished my meal.

The 2 men had sweets and were only given spoons with which to eat them and had to ask the waitress for a fork each which I would have expected to be supplied as a matter of course.

For a supposedly “classy” restaurant it was very poor on service and quality/quantity of food.

I really felt quite embarrassed at having suggested we go there and honestly cannot recommend it to others.

2  Thank Susan T

Reviewed 1 August 2014

Good service and excellent food. Highly recommended. We enjoyed mussels, seafood salad, tenderloin of pork, beef fillet and turbot plus tasty desserts. Please give Michael's a try

1  Thank PandJ66
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I don't normally leave reviews on trip advisor but this is where we found this restaurant so here we are.
We like good food and were a little tired of the usual suspects locally, puffing billy, jack in the green etc. We arrived, the service was great and the food was even better. We were a party of 4 people had 3 courses and 2 bottles of wine, the bill came to £133.00 which in my opinion wasn't expensive enough for the service and food we received.

2  Thank Steve C
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Great service from the moment we stepped inside! Theres no reception desk which is great, so theres no seperation between staff and guests which makes the place feel homely and welcoming. All the staff were smiling and worked with ease! Very professional! Menu had a great variety and catered for everyone. Wine list was great and had good matches to the food. All courses came without any wait, and no complaints with any course. Food was tasty, warm and presented beautifully and still very reasonable. A clean, nice, modern, small restaurant! Professionalism can be seen throughout the restaurant! The restaurant was busy for midweek - which is always a good sign!! It was definitely worth the journey from exeter. If in the surrounding area, the no1 restaurant to visit! And its award as the best restaurant in exmouth needs no explaining, just visit and see for yourself!

1  Thank chef2801
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

Delightful service and excellent food. Locally sourced , prepared fresh and the added extra of onion puree was delicious. Definitely recommend it !

1  Thank Ulrike K