Royal Beacon Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Ashton Court(Exmouth)
View Hotel
All reviewsbudget roomcourtyard roomcar parkroad parkingsea viewelevated positionlovely hotelfour poster bedsized roomthird floorsome tlcstayed for nightswould stay againbreakfast was excellentshort breaktea and coffeesea front
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 August 2011

Very comfortable and well-furnished. Seems to be a wedding-mecca; there were four celebrations that we counted in our 24 hours there. Some others may have snuck in! Don't know if they fed there, or just had their watering there, with cake -- but it did seem contagious! And happy.

The staff were wonderful. Receptionists were extremely smiley, and sincerely personable. The wait staff at breakfast were also very efficient and accommodating, and friendly. Those others who you would run into in the hallways were very helpful as well, should you need to query anything. They acted like they enjoyed being there, and that is very telling.

The breakfast was excellent, and plentiful. They did not skimp. We did not have the opportunity to take other meals there, but it seems they have a choice of eating and drinking venues.
Coffee and tea facilities in-room were fine. Lots of sugar!
No Radio: I regret that for a hotel of this caliber, and pricing level, a radio was not provided. I suppose they might have come up with one if I had requested, but when I realised it would have been nice to listen, it was too late to make a request. And we were there for just the one night. The point is, why should we have to ask. At £105 a night, it is not a B&B -- hey, even they provide radios, come to think of it.

To be more picky: I wondered if the carpet was hoovered. I had some doubt. But this is a small point. Soap and shampoos were fine.

Lots of hot water, but beware -- especially if you have younger children -- that the shower controls do not control! You'll get burned if not alert to fact that there is a delay in upping the water temp.... worse, there is a delay in the temp decreasing! Turn that nozzle away from you, do not depend on flow becoming cooler just because you manipulated the controls. And it is very very hot!

Re parking: we got the last space, in a parking lot for about 6 autos at the most. I suppose there was street parking.

All in all -- if you can afford it, and choose to stay here -- there are lots of pluses, breakfast and friendliness being the most significant. We had no choice, being latecomers to making plans for that weekend. But we enjoyed Exmouth, and our stay at RBH helped make it a happy visit.

3  Thank Havefunwilltravel816
Reviewed 31 July 2011

I have stayed at the Royal Beacon on several occasions as I have relatives who live nearby.

It’s a good, cosy seaside hotel and a good base for exploring. The location is brilliant – and it’s nice and quiet - try and get a sea view room as the view of the beach and the bay is fabulous.

We stayed on a DB&B deal which suited us for one weekend – on the first night we had dinner in Fennel’s (modern European cuisine) and on the second night in Donato’s (Italian in the basement). If you dine at Fennels, try and get a window seat and admire the view. Breakfasts offer a good selection. Staff are all friendly and helpful.

People complain about the parking but there is plenty along the road outside so it’s not an issue and it is safe.

The hotel is really clean – my only gripes would be that in some of the rooms, it does look a bit tired and our shower was a bit of dribble and we had to resort to baths. Rooms were warm (but it was July) and the towels are not thick enough.

It’s a good seaside hotel, good value – and I will return.

Reviewed 31 July 2011

Yet again we stayed at the wonderful hotel. We returned and yet again were wowed by the lovely hotel and friendly staff.

1  Thank Goldiehawn
Reviewed 30 July 2011

Very clean hotel with a nice atmosphere, I had a modern room with a lovely walk-in shower and a side view of the sea. It had a small car park but there was on-street parking near by, It had easy access to the town centre and the beach. The private terrace garden was lovely to sit in and look at the sea, breakfast was standard. My only grumble is the heat in the room, it was far too hot despite the hotel trying to reduce the heat with a portable air conditioning system.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank welshgirl2
Reviewed 16 July 2011

Stopped over one night on a business trip. I'm not going to rave about it but have no reason to knock it either. The hotel, corridors & rooms are clean and satisfactory, all be it a little dated. For a small hotel there are three choices of where to eat whether it be bar food, restaurant or an italian restaurant downstairs. I must praise them on 'kitting' out the rooms with a generous sized flat screen and cable channels. Parking is a let down however, its the side of the road or nothing unfortunatly. The receptionist did get a little confused with the concept of 'room service', which was odd but overall, at £65 B&B, more than satisfactory.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business