“Excellent for Breakfast”
Review of Royal Beacon Hotel

Royal Beacon Hotel
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Exmouth
Reviewed 3 July 2012

I have not stayed at this hotel but have often visited for breakfast. Excellent English breakfast with good views over the Exe Estuary

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 14 June 2012

We have just stayed here for the first time and would definitely go again. The service was first class in every respect. Reception staff were helpful and always smiling. The food, well, that was superb in both restaurants, as there is a choice of good old fashioned English or wonderful Italian, both beautifully cooked and served with a lot of attention. The views from our room were wonderful.
The young man who served us and was around most of the time, I believe his name was Ross, was great, always helpful and smiling. We would definitely recommend this hotel. Loved it. Well done to all the staff.

Room Tip: Go for seaview, well worth it.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 June 2012

This hotel is advertised as being the former home of Lady Nelson -- or at least their website reads that way to the uninformed. Be advised this isn't true: Lady Nelson lived in a house further down the row, so if you're looking for Nelson history, it's not at the Royal Beacon.

Having said that, I enjoyed my stay here immensely. Upon check-in, I was given a nicer room than the one I had booked (at no extra charge). There was a lift to the top floor, and my room was somewhat spacious for a historic building, with a large bathroom lit by a skylight that opened for air, and an adequate shower/tub with tasteful decoration. The room looked like it might be getting due for a renovation, but it was pleasant and comfortable, with a desk, closet, tea service complete with cookies, and large, comfortable bed. The best part of the room was the view: I had a great view of Exmouth and the stunning church a block away or so, and I could hear the church bells.

The breakfast was good, served by very nice girls -- I think I had four different people wait on me during the meal. I was even accommodated with a diet coke from the bar. Check in & out was seemless, and the staff very helpful with directions when I went into town, and with assistance on where to park.

All in all, it was a very nice place. I would definitely stay at the Royal Beacon again.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 June 2012

First the negative. We have eaten there many many times, more about that later. We have not, however stayed. We unfortunately could only get the last remaining room over the Jubiliee holiday, it was however the same price as a sea view room. For almost £100 we were put in a travel lodge type annexe through the rear courtyard, where by the way parking was extremely limited. The room was right on the street with no footpath or garden area, with poor wooden double glazing. The traffic noise was really bad as was two drunkls coming back in the early hours. However the bed was the worse aspect, a very small double that could have been a large single. I am tall and so is my wife, but compared to some the wide people whom were staying at the same time (we could never compare in the width department) we did not fit, so how they could have is beyond me. Two kids would have struggled to sleep side by side. So in essence travel lodge on the motorway services would have been much better as far as our room was concerned.
Now the positive. The food, both breakfast and dinner was as it always has been, exceptional. We have eaten there many many times and will still do so in the future. The Maitre'D is the best I ever seen and I have stayed in really top class hotels across the continent and beyond. The food is not just superb its very, very good value for money. Our party of 18 sang its praises so much.
The hotel must up its game for accomodation, but on every other level its oustanding.

Room Tip: Get a sea view with twin beds, if you have to share for a more intimmate moment you will have as muc...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank hatter1985
Reviewed 3 June 2012

I hate to put this in writting, but we love this place, the Italian resteraunt is ok, but the 1810 resteraunt is great. Excellent bar with good cask beers. Love it, but please stay away????

Room Tip: No way, i know them you find out.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Ashteroth
Reviewed 21 May 2012

I have stayed & eaten at The Royal Beacon Hotel many times but never got around to writing a review,but after this weekends visit i thought i must.The staff are always friendly & the food in the 1810 restaurant lovely and is always very well presented,reasonably priced and a joy to eat.The food always looks delicious and is certainly second to none for a delicious Sunday lunch,the puddings are to die for. We took our friends for a meal their this weekend who are as fussy as we are about food quality,but they loved it. The views from the window tables are a joy.The bar seating area always has an ambience about it,or the window seating is great to sit & watch the world go by with the sea views.

Room Tip: The sea view rooms are the best,large & sunny.The four poster bed rooms on the top floor are our...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank ChristopherDDevon
Reviewed 14 May 2012

Hotel has character, good service and excellent breakfast, views from front facing rooms is amazing. Decor slightly tired but does not detract from character of hotel.

Room Tip: Front facing have excellent views of a coastline and beach
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends