“We keep returning”
Review of Royal Beacon Hotel

Royal Beacon Hotel
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Exmouth
Reviewed 29 October 2012

We have been visiting the Beacon on and off for the last ten years and it has hosted family occasions for us in the past. We love the views from the front of the hotel and consequently always book a seaview room. This hotel has a charm about it and coupled with the fact that it is in a lovely part of the country, makes it a hotel that we love to visit.

On the plus side, the staff are friendly and helpful. The food is good - we often eat in the bar which offers a good alternative if you don't want a full meal in the restaurant.

However, certain changes are now happening and it is beginning to show. The loss of some of the lovely and interesting pictures from the walls and certain antiques have removed some of the character. It is obvious that some cosmetic changes have been made in the bedrooms, or at least the one we occupied - a new white bathroom suit has been put in (even though it is obviously a very cheap one to tied them over) and the bathoom carpet has been replaced by lino. However, the room, as always was very clean and tidy, but the bed was not comfortable and the light duvet was not really adequate for these cold nights, especially when the heating was off at night.

There was a wedding party in the hotel on Saturday night. Unfortunately a lot of the guests were obviously smokers and chose to congregate outside the hotel until quite late. The noise from this was very disturbing and not really fair to people who had paid the premium rate for the rooms at the front.

But having said all this, this hotel has so much going for it and we sincerely hope that a new owner will eventually be found who is sympathetic to the Beacon and turns in once again into the rather unique hotel it used to be.

Room Tip: Choose a room at the front to take avantage of the views

Reviewed 20 October 2012

comfortable beds /nice and tidy and a big breakfast with all he works and to be fair good value for money. it is not far from the beach and me and my wife liked to watch the squirrels playing in he pk.

1  Thank Leonard D
Reviewed 8 October 2012

There is no doubt that some of the rooms are 'slightly frayed' around the walls and paintwork. The first day our room was not serviced. Sincere apologies and immediate action given.
That gets the negatives out of the way!
The views from the front bedrooms are really great. The bedrooms are a good size as are the bathrooms. Our bathroom had been re-decorated, perfectly adequate.
We found the bar a really pleasant place to have a pre-dinner drink.
The 1810 restaurant serves classic dishes very well cooked and at a reasaonable price. We had very good service particularly from the Manager. The breakfasts were traditional and plentiful.
The Italian restaurant downstairs was nice with a very good two or three course price deal. The food we had was again very good.
The one meal you must have if you can is Sunday Lunch (served all day from 12 noon to 9.00pm). It was wonderful!
Not only was it superb food very well served and cooked it was a very good price for a quality meal , less than £20 for three courses.
We had no trouble parking on the road outside the hotel. My car was too big for the car park, but it did not matter.
All in all we felt we had value for money. Nowhere is ever perfect for everyone. The staff at this good hotel did their best to be pleasant, happy and give us a good time. I certainly put on a few pounds on my weight!!
We will return!

Room Tip: Sea-side rooms have the best views.
Reviewed 8 October 2012

I visited recently for Sunday dinner - I like to eat later in the day and they are open until the evening

I had roast beef it was very good both in quality and quantity - it costs £9.95 for one course but you eat in super surroundings with lovely views, excellent staff and are made to feel a bit special

The ales and wines are competative with most of the pubs in town in price and quality

What else can I say except 'See you there on Sunday'

Reviewed 30 September 2012

Just returned from a weekend at the Royal Beacon - this was our 3rd visit. Location wise this is a great hotel - just 5 mins walk to beach and into town. Also lovely views from the sea facing rooms. But the rooms - they so desperately need refurbing. Really lets the place down - especially the bathrooms. Carpets on the floor in there?! Was disgusting to walk on - who has carpets in bathrooms these days? God knows what's living in them - they must get damp so often! The bath/sink/toilet are a lovely 70's pink. The wallpaper was coming off the walls and the sealing round the bath is all coming away. And the oldest hairdryer i have ever seen unsurprisingly didn't work! That said, the actual bedroom was fine - again needs updating but was comfy - plenty of tea/coffee/biscuits.
The bar downstairs is a bit more modern and enjoyed a few drinks in there pre and post dinner. Had to wait a while to be served as i think the bar staff must also work in the restaurant. We didn't eat them but the restaurants look nice also.
Parking can be a problem unless you are lucky to get a space on the road outside. There is hotel parking round the back but very limited and little space to get in and out of the carpark.
We probably would stay there again, purely for the location, but if i'm honest, i wouldn't recomend it to anyone until it's had a facelift.
But if you don't mind cheap and cheerful, and plan to get out a lot, this would make a good base.

Room Tip: Go for a sea facing room
1  Thank SarabeeUK
Reviewed 24 September 2012

Get the negatives over first:
- On site car parking is minimal - you have to be very luck to get a space, so don't bank on being able to park there. Probably less than 10 spaces. The on-site parking was a major reason I chose this hotel, however I was disappointed by that.
- Some pi$$ed up local youths in the bar chatting up one of the barmaids. If I had a pound for every time they said her name, I would have been quite rich by the end of my pint. I think the lads should have been ejected given the state they were in - but that didn't happen while I was there, despite them having a chat with a lady who I assume was part of the management. And given that I had to wait ages to be served, despite only the 2 lads getting drinks in front of me, an apology for keeping me waiting would have been appreciated.
-Ensuite - the shower room was quite a decent size, but for whatever reason there was one of those silly shower cubicles with the corner cut off. Why? They could have got a proper size shower in there without any problems whatsoever. Maybe they had been on offer in Trago...

There were some positives though to give them their due:
-Breakfast was quite nice, even if the staff preferred chatting to each other rather than taking my order.
-Bowl of sweets at reception was nice - glacier mints (mints and the fruity ones).
-Bedroom was a decent size, and despite being a side room, I could still just about see the sea.
-There was a trouser press in the room - not that I used it.

The hotel seemed to be in Administration at the time I was there - not sure if that has any effect on things. Apparently the hotel was full though.

I give an "Average" rating - however it was more a C- rather than a C+.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 September 2012

Room and bathroom looked fairly new, pictures in public areas from local art group, many for sale very good idea. Staff excellent except one waitress at breakfast who needs better understanding of English and attitude.
Donato's restaurant downstairs also very good.

Room Tip: Try to get a sea view from high up, fabulous views, they have lift!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Exmouth
Devoncourt Resort & Apartments
#1 of 11 in Exmouth
Langstone Cliff Hotel
Langstone Cliff Hotel
#1 of 3 in Dawlish

Been to Royal Beacon Hotel? Share your experiences!