“One night stay in an okay hotel” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Royal Beacon Hotel

Royal Beacon Hotel
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Exmouth
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“One night stay in an okay hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

The hotel was clean and well situated, the hotel car park was quite small but there was free street parking available. The staff were friendly, we enjoyed the breakfast, however the bed was very uncomfortable but on the upside we almost got wet in the shower!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Royal B, General Manager at Royal Beacon Hotel, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Dear Heather,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Please accept my apologies that the bed was not to your liking. I am pleased to read you enjoyed breakfast and the friendly approach of our team.

Thank you once again for your review and we hope to see you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
cornwall
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

Stayed at this hotel on 17/05/14 for two nights. We were told the car park was first come first served. When we arrived there were no car park spaces and had to park in a side street, when this was mentioned to the reception we were told they had two weddings going on in the hotel thats why and weddings every weekend through the year. If you are going to stay here arrive Friday! Went to have dinner in the bar area but this was packed with wedding guests so did not eat in the hotel.
A previous entry on here stated about the annex room having a split shower holder room 507 well we had this one and yes still broke! The room was large so was the bathroom whiich was huge shame the shower was small a bit small.
The hotel is a good base for getting out and about. The room has everything you need .

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Royal B, General Manager at Royal Beacon Hotel, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Dear Teamy
Thank you for your feedback, our car park is small, but there is ample off street parking close by. I am sorry you could not dine in the bar area, we also offer dining in our 1810 restaurant and Donato's Italian restaurant. The shower holder has now been repaired.
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

I booked the Royal Beacon Hot as I had stayed there numerous times over the years but sadly the old owner has gone bankrupt and the hotel is now being run by the administrators who are obviously counting every penny and seem to have forgotten that this is supposed to be a three star hotel.

My room was so filthy that it is hard to explain so I have attached some photos and you can be your judge. Also, the hotel management in another attempt to save money have removed radiator valve so you cannot have any heating in your room, yes honestly, photos attached. I called the manager about these issues and was advised that hotel guests merely have to ask the reception staff and they will send someone to turn on the radiator and that it was not that cold plus the hotel does provide an extra blanket! Really!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Photos attached of the radiators minus the on/off valve.

As my room was one of their premier rooms I had great sea views which was nice, however, the old sash windows are rotten and to say they let in a draught was an understatement - it was like being in a wind tunnel and made the curtains move all night.

Added to this sham, you have Donatello's restaurant in the basement who's pizza's are all made from pre-purchased bases with terrible tomato sauce from a jar and cheep flavourless salami from a packet added on top. The Jalpeno peppers I ordered turned out to be green peppers but as the waitress said, it is one and the same!!!

Bottom line' do not waste your time by going to this hotel until they sell it to someone who cares about hospitality and customer care!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Charles F
Dear Charles

As a regular visitor to our hotel I am sorry that on this occasion we failed to meet your standards. The small areas of concern, that we discussed, have now been repaired or cleaned.
Please be assured that our central heating can be switched on from reception and does not require a room visit.

I have also discussed your comments with our team in Donato's restaurant and re-training has taken place and I can assure you we use as may fresh products as possible.

We look forward to your next visit and a more positive review.
Swindon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

The hotel was in a great location, which was one of the reasons that I booked. It's withinn walking distance of the seafront, restaurants, pubs, harbour and town centre. The room was modern and clean, with tea\coffee making facility, with a good selection of choice. I didn't have much interaction with the staff - but maybe that was a good thing, as there were no problems! There was limited off-road parking, but I was able to find a place in the courtyard. The slight drawback was that breakfast was not included in the rate (at least, not the one I was sold). A breakfast might have scored this establishment a few more points, but I was able to go to a well known sandwich chain for a £2 breakfast sandwich and coffee nearby. That said, I was perfectly happy with the place, and would stay there again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Dear Chilli05187049

Thank you for taking the time to provide valuable feedback on this site. It is always nice to read these comments.

Breakfast is always available to all our guests, even when staying on a room only basis.

We look forward to you next visit.
Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

We paid a very good price and we knew we would be in what they called a 'courtyard room'. This was a room in a slight separate annexe to the main building.
The room was very spacious and very clean.
I noticed that very time a car drove passed at night it would light up the room, but this only bothered me a bit; not my husband.
I would of appreciated a slightly bigger shower and somewhere to put your shower bits; especially with the size of the bathroom.
The staff were very friendly and the hotel is in a great location to be able to walk to the shops and the sea front, but be aware the car park only takes about 6/7 cars. We were lucky and got parked in the road, but would be very concerned during the height of the season.
We did not eat at the hotel this time, but will have breakfast at the hotel next time; as we worked it out the cost would be about the same as we paid in a cafe in town. When we booked the next room in June we asked for a courtyard room again, but on the first floor.
We did find the mattress very hard and both woke up with sore backs, but it is hard to please every body with beds.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jksunshine
Dear JKSunshine

Thank you for your favourable comments, it is always pleasing to read. We always provide a range of room rate offers to suit all our guests and we are delighted you chose this one.

We look forward to welcoming you back in June this year.

Dorset, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

I know the town well & wanted to spend a couple of days away to think some stuff through. I received a good deal on-line & did not require a sea view so a 'budget' room was snatched up. I had already showered before my journey down so did not use the one in the room until the Saturday. The gripper to hold said beast up was broken & it being so powerful, one simply couldn't just put it down & verily, I had to turn it off to soap ones self up etc. "You should have said something" came a curt reply on checking out as though it was our fault? It was Saturday eve by the time I used the shower & was checking out the following morning so truly, it was not worth mentioning that late in the stay. "Surely, the previous occupant must have said something" says I? "Certainly not" was the reply. That (to me), insinuates that I broke the holder. Lovely location but with the restaurant taking last orders at 21:00 on a Saturday evening, I believe one could find a better place in Exmouth. No reading lights & indeed, no lights at head level gave the room an "institutional" feel too. You simply HAVE to care team.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Xanthe C

I was sorry to read of the problems you experienced with your shower and I can assure you this has now been repaired.

We do care for our guests and we are always delighted to assist with any requests made during your stay, there is always someone here to assist 24/7.

Nevertheless thank you for your valued comments.

London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

Service was good before and on arrival. Courteous and warm greeting. Drinks waiting in room. So far so good.
However: possibly the worst beds I've ever sleep in, resulting in back pain today. Shower only cold, although bath ok. For £100+ really?
Curt young woman at check-out, no "how was your stay?". Would have given feedback personally, but wasn't given the chance. Hence this review.
Not impressed...

• Stayed April 2014
Dear Depecheboy

Thank you for your comments, I was sorry to read of your disappointment. Please be assured we always welcome feedback and our reception team are exceptionally good at looking after our guests and any requests made.

Please highlight your comments should you chose to return and I am sure you next visit will be an improvement.