“A great breakfast,” 5 of 5 bubbles

Railway Carriage Cafe
Price range: US$4 - US$19
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating
Bristol, United Kingdom
“A great breakfast,”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

My wife and I found this wonderful old GWR carriage by accident when taking shelter from a winter storm in April, and we both had a great "Stokers" breakfast, with a decent pot of tea........We have been back twice more (the last time with my "eighty something" parents) since, and on each occasion, we have had excellent service and food. The proximity to the sea front and car park is a bonus for people who may have walking difficulties, as is the outdoor seating, and the friendly and helpful staff who are on hand to help if required.

• Visited June 2014

Exmouth, United Kingdom
“Thought it was a real train”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

Can't really fault the cafe as it was my own fault but due to a small misunderstanding I thought this was the exmouth train to exeter. Had a lovely meal which I thought was odd for a train to serve such good food, but was very late for work!

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Nosey P
Souh .East
“Good food at good prices - and fun too”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

Had lunch here today. We were looking for a quick lunch stop which did not cost the earth and decided that this looked like a bit of fun. I have to say that the food was much better than I expected.
Admittedly mosy of the options on the menue were not massivley healthy - but then this is a cafe on the sea front. The healthier members of my party opted or the fish cakes whci I ma told were very tastey. My daughter had a cheese and bacon baggette and both of these came with a good portion of very fresh and interesting salad. My 'Stockers breakfast' was decadent but very good.

The service was good and the venue good fun. Nicely suprised! worht a stop for lunch or tea (the scones and cream tea looked good but we were all too full to try it)

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Swindon, United Kingdom
“A perfect lunch. Perfect.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

The Railway Carriage Café is situated right on the Exmouth beachfront (away from town centre end) and it really is the ideal place for a quick lunch. I went there yesterday and again today.

The café is housed within an old GWR railway carriage, there are approximately 12 tables with seating for 2-6 people. The carriage is unexpectedly spacious, and has a nice interior with the little kitchen situated in back of tha carriage. There is an outdoors seating area on site too.

There are two separate unisex toilets outside, which are kept clean. A model railway which they seem very proud of though I didn't visit this so cannot comment.

The café is table service, the service we received was fantastic, a very friendly couple served us on both visits. They went out of their way to make it a special visit and nothing was too much trouble, I requested chips rather than salad for sides - not a problem I heard other tables requestinf slight menu variations and nothing was too much trouble.

The menu itself was a typical café menu, though the vast spread they offered was suprising from the size of the kitchen. They have a selection of Paninis, sandwiches, jackets as well as mains, such as pies, full english, and your usual café grub, there is a kids menu. The food quality was good, very tasty. It isn't michelin star food, but perfect cafe food.

Price is extremely good value for money a lunch is about £6-7 per head including drinks.

An absolutely fantastic job guys!

Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“BRILLIANT!!!! :-)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

Visited this cafe after a lovely weekend at Devon cliffs, the friendly staff made us feel very welcome and couldn't do enough for us including my 21 month old daughter! Lovely cooked breakfast and tea, Great atmosphere and what better than eating it on a train! Can't wait to return!

• Visited May 2014