“Small biscotti :-)”
Review of Deli on the Strand

Deli on the Strand
Ranked #15 of 140 Restaurants in Exmouth
Price range: US$4 - US$15
Description: A small, friendly delicatessen in the heart of Exmouth that prides itself on excellent coffee, great tasting food and first class customer service.
Reviewed 15 August 2018

We sat outside in the sunshine and ordered a cappuccino and black coffee. My husband, a mad cappuccino connoisseur was so impressed and said it was perfect, praise in deed. My coffee was fine and the cake, a fig crumble, was lovely. The only disappointment for me was the miniscule biscotti at 50p
All said very nice, clean and would return.

DeliontheStrand, Owner at Deli on the Strand, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2018

Hi ali1965 and thank you for taking the time to review our Deli. First of all we’re very glad both you and your husband enjoyed your experience today. We agree both the cake and coffee are delicious but I’m surprised you think biscotti is 50p when In fact it’s only 25p so maybe you had 2.

Reviewed 10 August 2018 via mobile

The food is always delicious and beautifully made. Great coffee and lovely inside. Has to be one of the best cafes in Devon. I live in Berkshire amd wish i had such a lovely cafe near me. Awful to read of the atrocious behaviour of the utter slob of man who was aggressive but great to know the owner protected his young staff so well.

1  Thank annasendall11
Reviewed 5 August 2018 via mobile

Popped in for coffee and the pasty’s and sausage rolls looked so nice (and original ❤️ the variation) we ate those too service was good polite and welcoming coffee was good quality, the other food being eaten by other tables must also of been as nice as ours as the plates were empty

Reviewed 19 June 2018

Popped in for a bacon butty and stocked up on a few other bits and bobs.

Bacon butty was absolutely delicious. As were the other bits and bobs when i got home.

Nice little shop, I’m sure it gets busy in the summer, I’ve only been in the spring.

Reviewed 2 June 2018

My experience of this establishment today is so different from the reviews I have just read, that I cannot believe we are dealing with the same place.
Four of us visited today with a basic order to take away. After 20 minutes of waiting we decided to call it a day and ask for our money back. Only to be greeted by an abusive and extremely aggressive response from the proprietor. Take my advice, take your business elsewhere, somewhere they understand customer service, politeness and above all, know what they are doing.

3  Thank Peter C
DeliontheStrand, Owner at Deli on the Strand, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2018

Well Peter let me put the record straight because you seem unable to decipher from your version and what actually happened. On the busiest day of the year so far you entered my Deli and ordered a crab sandwich, quiche with salad and a goat’s cheese panini to take away. You were informed that as we were so busy there was a delay in serving food and that your order would take at least 20 minutes. 12 or so minutes later, you spoke to my 17 year old barista and asked how long your food would be? I must add you were short with her from the outset and she told you it wouldn't be much longer which you already knew beforehand and replied, “ where is it actually coming from?” A few more minutes later, now even more short, irate and frustrated you again asked where your food was. At this point she asked me to deal with it as she felt you were trying to intimidate her. Remember this is a 17 year old schoolgirl, in UK law, a minor. I then came out of the kitchen and asked what the problem was and In your words exactly, “I’ve been waiting here for over half an hour for my takeaway order which still hasn’t arrived”. I then collected the ticket from the kitchen which clearly has the time stamp from when the order was taken...19 minutes. When I informed you of this you then lied to try and cover up for your behaviour and then you apologised. At this point three others in your party came in and started to say you would sue me for slander, even though the whole thing was heard by my other staff and at least 3 other customers. I then asked I f you wanted to wait a few more minutes for your order or have a refund. You decided on a refund of which I gave you £15 when your order only came to £14.65. I then offered you complimentary cold drinks to make up for your wait but you were so raging that you had been found the only response from you and your party was to get abusive and accuse me of aggression. Just so you know, the customer standing next to you for the whole episode was a regular customer who thought your behaviour was atrocious. Another, who was sitting at table 11 came up afterwards and commented on your disgraceful behaviour and left a £5 tip to the young barista to say that not all customers are like you. Finally, this is part of the problem we have with Trip Advisor...you came to my establishment, were clearly told about the situation, couldn’t control your emotions then ran off in a huff and tried to make us look bad all because you were found out to have lied then tried to cover it up. Thankfully 99.9% of the general public are kind, courteous and polite but on this occasion you couldn’t live up their high standards!