“Lovely mid week breaks”

Devoncourt Resort & Apartments
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Exmouth
“Lovely mid week breaks”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

We have just returned from a mid-week break at the Devoncourt. We had a fantastic time, the staff were very helpful and couldn't do enough for us. Our room was spacious and had a balcony with magnificent views out across the large rear gardens and the sea. There's a good restaurant and it serves an excellent carvery. The leisure complex benefits from both indoor and outdoor pools as well as an extensive range of gym equipment and a tennis court. The hotel is situated within easy walking distance of the town centre and marina while the beach is just a 5 minute stroll away. Well done Devoncourt, we'll be back again !

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a sea view !
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Malcolm S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (280)
Surrey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

Just come back from 2 nights here, first thing is parking, the spaces are tight and it was full so had to park on the road, but that was ok. We booked a double room with sea view but as we were on the ground floor we had a garden view which was lovely, the gardens are very well kept and you can walk down through them to the beach. The rooms are a bit tired and do need updating as other reviewers have said, and to be charged £ 25.00 to use the facilities of the kitchen I thought was a bit steep ! I found the bed was quite hard and did not sleep that well. You do need to book if you want an evening meal, we did'nt eat there in the evening so did not worry but some others in our party did not realise and could not eat there, they were not given any explanation ie when a table would be free or if they were residents etc so were not particularly impressed with this !
We had breakfast included in the price of our room, there was a choice of cereals, toast and then something cooked, choice of juices etc and it was all very nice, but be careful if you book an apartment as there is no 'meal deal' with this and you have to pay an extra £ 8.75 for each breakfast that you want ! so check that you have booked for breakfast and are prepared to pay extra.
We used the outdoor swimming pool and this was very nice and clean, did not use indoor one as weather was really good.
All in all a good hotel in a lovely location, we would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Service excellent hotel facilities very good cleanliness, excellent staff. Very close to the beach and town. On arrival the rooms were ready and in 5 minutes were in our rooms. Nice recreation facilities especially the outdoor hot water swimming pool. Tennis court and crazy putting will come back again.

Stayed July 2014
Ashington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

Just arrived home from a week in Devoncourt. What a week it's been! The hotel is lovely, the staff exceptionally helpful, and the facilities are fantastic. The beautiful grounds make such a fabulous setting to relax and unwind. The outdoor pool was incredible, and used every day except one (and that was just because we were out all day). The weather was so hot, that we never felt the need to use the indoor pool, although it did look lovely when we popped our head in to have a look at it. We had a great view from our suite over the grounds and the sea, and everything we could possibly need for our comfortable stay. The beach was a 3 or 4 minute walk from the hotel (out of the grounds, through a carpark, and onto the beach), and the town was a 15 minute walk away. There's also a Tesco just a 5 minute drive away (and we got a delivery to the hotel for a few basics on the night that we arrived) If we ever decide to holiday in Devon again, Devoncourt would be our first (and only) option. Thanks again :D

Heerenveen, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

We stayed here for two days in a familie room. Staff was very helpful and nice. Great facilities With tennis court, crocket field, skimming pool en good restaurant. We enjoyed our stay very much and are likely to come back somewhere in The future.

Room Tip: Make sure to visite the coastline. The cliffs are great.
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

The Devoncourt sits in the perfect spot, away from the hustle and noise of the seafront but with great views out to sea. The restaurant is very good, especially the excellent carvery. A 15 min stroll along the seafront or Madeira walk will deposit you in the compact centre of a town well appointed with Indian or Chinese restaurants and some good, old style pubs with good food and great local beers, should you wish to eat out. We have used the Devoncourt for many years and love it's friendly staff and quirky atmosphere. If you want marble walls and arrogant staff, go to a Hilton...you takes your choice.

• Stayed July 2014
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

First of all please ignore Trip Advisor's rating of this hotel. It is not a 4 star hotel, but a 2 star hotel, as confirmed to me by the assistant General Manager today. If we had known this in advance, we would not have booked. Sadly, an incredibly disappointing stay from start to finish and the worst hotel experience I have ever had. Upon arrival to our room, the Karima Suite, number 211 we found a swarm of flies circling above our bed. Very conveniently found a magazine on the table which we used to swat them with. The room absolutely stank so as we left the hotel to go out for the evening, I mentioned it to the front desk who told me that they would get somebody to go up to our room and check it out. On our return we were told that the member of staff who had gone up could not smell a thing (!) but they had opened the window to air the room just in case. It was apparent on our second day that we were the youngest staying there by far (late 40's, 2 boys aged 15 and 9). What is clear now is that the majority of guests purchased timeshares some 25 to 30 years ago and the hotel has not refurbished it since that time. These guests clearly love the familiarity, coming back as they do, year after year. The hotel is clearly waiting for the timeshares to expire so that they can then, I hope, invest some serious money into the place to bring it up to the standard required and entice the next generation to come. The amenities could be amazing - there is a gym and indoor and outdoor swimming pool but the layout is all wrong - you have to walk through the gym, through a door, through another door back into the gym to gain access to the pool. The gardens - croquet lawn and putting green - are superb, as is the outdoor swimming pool but do not be fooled by the photographs on any brochures or adverts you see of this place - they were taken 20 or so years ago.

Other reports here say that it is stuck in 70's time warp but I can safely say that it was fitted in 1982/84 - the same time my in-laws purchased their house as it has exactly the same bathroom decor, fixtures and fittings that they had, but had the sense to redecorate 10 or so years later, unlike the Devoncourt. With the footfall that this hotel has, to stick with the same fittings for 30 years is unthinkable, the wear and tear is evident all around the hotel.

The light in our bedroom didn't work, the two showers took ages to heat up and hardly any water came out. We gave up on the shower and had a bath which was tiny and incredibly uncomfortable. The kitchenette was filthy, the carpet (in a kitchen?) was badly stained. We didn't dare use the plates or knives and forks for a) fear of getting ill and b) a £25 charge slapped on your bill if you used it. Curtains and wallpaper grubby, valance on single bed covered in stains, toilet hadn't been cleaned in a while, gunk around taps on sink, bathroom cabinet old, dirty and stained. Our room overlooked the main entrance of the hotel and was incredibly noisy at all times day and night.

I feel really sorry for the staff working there as clearly they don't love the place, don't have any respect for it and I'm sure dread every checkout (unless of course the guests are over 70). I saw one chambermaid wearing a black beanie hat on her mobile phone at the top of a flight of stairs with her plastic box full of cleaning products sitting on the top stair. I said to her 'excuse me' as I wanted to get past her, she moved out of the way but didn't move the box and not seeing it, I nearly fell down the stairs. The porter/quizmaster attitude was one of 'couldn't be bothered'. The lady I spoke to behind the bar kept on mentioning that the Brasserie was a franchise, almost saying that if I had any problems, I should take it up with them.

Breakfast was dreadful - could so easily be superb. No fresh fruit in sight - four bowls of tinned fruit: peaches, prunes and the rest I could not tell you what it was. A plate of dry croissants. Brown or white sliced longlife bread to make your own toast. 4 or 5 small screw topped storage jars with the usual Frosties, Fruit and Fibre, Muesli, Cornflakes. Cooked breakfast was available so my husband and two boys ordered it. Clearly had been sitting around in a tray for a while. Fried eggs were completely overcooked. Cheap sausages and bacon. Yuck! Where was the fresh fruit, granola, decent muesli, fruit compote, decent orange juice as opposed to cheap long life stuff, where were the butcher's choice sausages? How about a selection of artisan breads, selection of jams? Coffee was weak and awful. Noone offered us a second cup. Waiter very stressed - was he also cooking??

There was a wedding and reception on the Saturday which isn't a problem for me but what I found annoying was that it had taken over ALL of the public areas so you couldn't eat in the restaurant, relax in the sun lounge or have a drink in the bar (which shut at 11pm promptly the other nights we were there) with no prior warning. No note slipped under the door to tell us that all areas would be out of bounds.

Suffice it to say we complained at checkout. I got the sense from others that on checkout they hadnt been asked if they'd had an enjoyable stay! I said I hadn't expected this standard of service from a 4 star hotel. The Head Receptionist then told me that it wasn't 4 star it was 3 and why did I think it was 4. Well, Trip Advisor had said it was and there were signs outside the hotel too. I asked her if she'd ever stayed in the hotel. She hadn't. I urged her to stay in Room 211 for the night and see how she fared. She gave me my bill and had some trouble explaining it. Showed me the commission that Bookings.Com took from my hotel rate. News to me that a hotel would show their guests the commission that the travel agents take???? I was able to speak to the Assistant Manager on the phone to talk through my concerns, issues, problems, complaints. He confirmed that the hotel is a 2 star hotel (Head Receptionist said, 'well if he says so then it must be!'). He asked me if we would return on a, I"m assuming, complimentary basis. I said I wouldn't be returning unless the hotel had undergone a major refurbishment. He did give us £50 off our room bill which in hindsight wasn't a brilliant reduction considering the stay we'd had although it made for an interesting conversation at the dinner table each evening (which was off site).

If you are used to staying in a clean, comfortable, nicely decorated hotel with a good breakfast then I urge you to think twice before staying here. If you are the owners of this hotel reading this I urge you to take the plunge and refurb this hotel as soon as you can. You are sitting on a potential goldmine .It could be a real gem for families in the Summer who wish to take advantage of its great location and off season too for those older people who want a lovely seaside hotel to relax in and we would love to return but only after it has had a serious makeover. I would love to know if the management read this and if they do, I'd like to think that they would be moved enough to respond to me as I have been moved enough to write this review.

6 Thank Sarah M
Devcourt, General Manager at Devoncourt Resort & Apartments, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear SarahM

Many thanks for your detailed and lengthy review.

Every opinion is valued and, whilst other reviewers on this site seem to have had other opinions, I would like to accept much of the comments and take them on board.

There are so many issues that you raise and while there were so many points you do raise I would like to agree with you on the positives. Yes, we do have some beautiful gardens and a lovely leisure centre and I can agree with you, we do live in a superb location.

Thank you for accepting our reduction for your disappointment after speaking to the Assistant Manager and I hope there is enough there for a couple bottles of champagne to celebrate the birthday which we clearly did not pick up on. You were obviously expecting something from us and we would usually put something in your room, when we are aware. Again, apologies, that doesn't normally 'slip through the net' as we really do like to recognize a special occasion.

Just to confirm, we are a 4* Guest Accommodation classification with the AA, which is based on the B&B type classifications of a few years ago. These are awarded out of 5 and are for hotels that major on ambiance and friendly service which, I don't think after reading through your review, that anyone was at all rude to you, in fact, if they had been, I am sure you would have mentioned it. We are also a 2* Hotel with enjoyengland.com.

Lastly, I have had a word with the young lady who has alopecia and wears the beanie hat (yes, even in this weather!) and she apologies but admits that at the bottom of the fire escape at the side of the hotel she was not expecting anyone to come down behind her. Please accept her apologies.

Many thanks again and should you wish to venture back to the hotel in the wonderful town of Exmouth, with the lovely views, that is only a few minutes walk from the town centre, that has the delightful little leisure centre, terrific gardens, friendly staff I know that we will look after you to the best of our ability.

Regards

Andrew Stoneman

To all readers of your review I would like to add that should you get the chance to read any of the other many reviews, SarahM's does not appear too be a typical stay and, whilst the decor is a matter of taste, I do like to think that most would look at the space and size of the rooms as a positive.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Exmouth
Premier Inn Exmouth Seafront Hotel
Langstone Cliff Hotel
Langstone Cliff Hotel
#1 of 2 in Dawlish
Sidmouth Harbour Hotel - The Westcliff

Been to Devoncourt Resort & Apartments? Share your experiences!