“Dirty and dated room”

Devoncourt Resort & Apartments
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Exmouth
Reviewed 23 August 2014

We were visiting family in the area and stayed here. Initially we booked for one night but on check-in we decided to extend another night so that we could spend more time with the family. If we had seen the room first we would not have extended.

We stayed in the Mercedes Suite which had a lounge, bathroom, bedroom and kitchenette. Upon entering the room the smell of old, musty furniture hits you. The old and oversized furniture is awful with a fireplace which looked like it was installed in the 70's. We pulled out a dining chair to find that all four chair seats were horribly stained and refused to sit on them. The carpet in the kitchenette was disgusting. To make matters worse, there is a sign in the kitchen saying that if you actually wanted to use the kitchen, there was a fee of 25 pounds!

The bedroom was nice and big and with a double and a single bed and plenty of wardrobes.

The bathroom was old, the shower water pressure was low. Little else to say.

We had our young children with us and they stayed in the main bedroom while we slept on the sofa bed in the living room. We asked reception to set it up for us while we were out, which they did but did not put any bedding on!!

We found the bedding in the bedroom wardrobe. I put on the sheet and pillow cases and it appeared to smell … not fresh. When I put on the duvet it was apparent that the whole set of bedding had been used before, judging by the 'used' smell and the hair we found on the duvet.

My husband took it to reception who were very apologetic and replaced the bedding immediately.

Despite the awful room, the staff were great. Polite, helpful and couldn't be faulted. Our son was sick in the night and a night porter kindly changed some towels for us and was very understanding.

The view from our room was delightful, with a balcony overlooking the stunning gardens but we spent as little time as we could in the actual room.

We did not use the facilities or restaurants so cannot comment on them.

Our relatives booked and paid for this hotel as a treat for us, and so we felt we could not complain but we will not stay here again which is such a shame as it has the potential to be great.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the Mercedes Suite.
1  Thank SamanthaEH
Devcourt, General Manager at Devoncourt Resort & Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2014

Dear Samantha H

I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay as fully as you would have liked however I do want to thank you for your review.

As positives, the staff were very polite and friendly, the view was stunning and the size of the room was spacious. I believe that in the height of the season when you have stayed the prices are at their peak, i.e. our Peak Season, and expectation is high. I would ask that, if you would like to call me directly, I would like to invite you back again and ensure your next stay is better.

Please call me directly at the hotel if we can help as I know we can look after you better.

Kindest regards

Andrew Stoneman

Reviewed 19 August 2014

The Devoncourt has been one of our family favourites for many years, with an average of three visits every year in school holiday time.
However, this review is about the restaurant in the Devoncourt. A different special every night, top class food, prepared and cooked with expertise, and served by the most engaging staff.
If you stay in the Devoncourt, it is not worth looking to eat anywhere else.
The carvery evenings are my special favourite. On Friday night, I had a huge plate of delicious Moroccan Lamb and all the different vegetables on display.
My grandchildren love eating in the restaurant.

Room Tip: High up and with a garden view.
1  Thank Teapot66
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Spent Saturday night at Devoncourt Hotel, what a disappointment after staying in a beautiful hotel in Taunton the previous night.
Couldn't check in till after 5.00 p.m. then have to be out by 1030 next morning. Rooms clean but that is only good comment. It was like going back in time to the 70's. Could feel springs through mattress, so not much sleep. £189 for a 2 x bed apartment, wish now I had checked it out first, but hey ho, too late now.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

Having read some of the comments we feel they are over exagerated. Yes the decor is dated this cannot be denied. We have regular trips to this hotel about every 4 weeks and find it suitable for our needs and could not wish for a more friendly hotel where all of the staff are most helpful. If we do have a complaint we deal direct with the management and it is dealt with. We do not wait until we get home and write a review and complain as it is too late. The management go out of their way and are very helpful. We have not had any reason to complain in our last 10 visits. The food in the restaurant is excellent and they cater for every wish. The gardens are great with an outdoor swimming pool, putting green and tennis courts. Indoors you have the gym and indoor pool. Yes we could pick up points to be negative about but we enjoy the atmoshere and the hospitality this hotel offers. It is not the Savoy but who wants to go there anyway. This weekend the hotel was packed full so that tells its own story. We will be going back.
Clive and Sylvia Carter

Room Tip: Most rooms have a sea view so there is very little to coose from
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Booked in expecting luxury as described but on arrival very apparent it was quite the opposite ! The rooms are not only dated but dirty and falling to bits.smelly carpets and wallpaper peeling off walls broken mismatched old furniture .I refused to stay! Can't comment on service as I walked out .

• Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank Jenr7
Devcourt, General Manager at Devoncourt Resort & Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Firstly, I would just like to say it was a shame that you did not actually stay at the hotel.

As you can see from other reviewers who have stayed at the hotel, I am sure that should you have stayed, you would have had an enjoyable and relaxing break with us.
At the Devoncourt Hotel we pride ourselves on our fantastic leisure facilities such as our indoor heated pool, and providing excellent customer service.

With regards to your comments about the room itself, these are issues which will be addressed by myself and the management team. Cleanliness of the rooms is something we take pride in, in order to provide a comfortable stay for each and every one of our guests.

Should you wish to return to the lovely town of Exmouth, and choose the Devoncourt Hotel , i know that the staff will look after you to make sure you have an enjoyable stay.

Kindest Regards,

Andrew Stoneman

Reviewed 9 August 2014

I booked this through booking.com because there was a special offer. I left feedback on their website and just noticed that they've not published it.
Anyway, the hotel was good and bad.
I booked an apartment so we could make breakfast in our room. However on arrival I saw that if we used the kitchen we would be charged a £25 cleaning fee. Rather a pain, because I need to eat a what-free diet and often it's easier just to make my own breakfast.
The mattresses were AWFUL. The type were you can see the springs and FEEL them all night long.
I doubled up my duvet and slept on that. Luckily it wasn't a cold night.
The outdoor pool is fantastic!
The shiatsu leg massage machine and hot tub were also lovely.
Awful view of the car park from our room.
I wouldn't return, and I only booked it because it was £69 for the apartment and because the Airbnb place I stay at (literally across the road from this hotel) wasn't available.
Excellent location for Exmouth.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank MagicDawn
Reviewed 5 August 2014

The weather was fantastic, and Exmouth at its absolute best.
The gardens were as lovely as ever, with fantastic views. The outside pool was really warm and inviting.
Yes the hotel is a bit dated, but friendlier staff and a more welcoming atmosphere would be hard to find. Nothing is too much trouble
Thank you Devoncourt Hote.

Room Tip: A sea view room is really worth it.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Exmouth
The Imperial Exmouth Hotel
#1 of 11 in Exmouth
The Manor Hotel
The Manor Hotel
#9 of 11 in Exmouth

Been to Devoncourt Resort & Apartments? Share your experiences!