“not an uplifting experience”
Review of Barn Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Exmouth
Barn Hotel
Ranked #11 of 11 Hotels in Exmouth
Reviewed 13 September 2013

I'll attempt to be positive by saying that the bed was large, it was a good location and it's a peaceful area. But the bad far outweighed the good - most of my criticisms are already covered in previous reviews (loud bathroom fans, limited breakfast times, generally felt v tired and not v clean) but the bottom line is that it was overpriced. If you got a room with a direct sea view, then I could imagine that you might overlook all of the negative stuff. But I think only a couple of the rooms have a direct sea view ...

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Smith634

Reviewed 8 September 2013

we arrived at this hotel with a lovely greeting from the owner and showed to the room which was nice but the decor was very outdated as was the beige bathroom. I paid for a superior king room and we actually got what looked like a queen size bed at first sight but was actually two singles pushed together using the same sheet which was annoying and uncomfortable. The views from the hotel were fantastic and the breakfast served by a very hard working girl was lovely but having to get up early to eat it was a pain as they only serve between 8-9am.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank amy b
Reviewed 29 August 2013

This superb Arts and Crafts hotel has a very welcoming entrance with wonderful flower tubs and hanging baskets. I arrived one hour early - rang the bell and the lady said it was NO TROUBLE AT ALL for me to come in now as my room was ready. She gave me a tour of the downsrairs, then took me to my bedroom. I had selected a single room, and it was fine. In fact,. the room had more in it that some much larger hotels I have stayed in. Small things that make a huge difference - a full length mirror, large fluffy bath towels, lots of tea bags and milk, quality toilet paper ( that may sound strange - but it makes life much more pleasant!). Hot water, and a decent shower. The breakfast was lovely. I was warned it may take some time as they were freshly cooked - but I didn't have to wait too long - and chose the 'Full English'. Goodness me! I had sausage, egg, bacon, fried bread, hash browns, beans, tomatoes, mushrooms - toast and marmalade! Beat that! The owner said I was welcome to bring my friend into the hotel- so she visited me, and we sat on the amazing terrace, comfy chairs, tables, brollies - in warm sunshine overlooking the bay. A heated swimming pool - and the grounds are just lovely - lawns and flower beds.
The Barn Hotel only serves breakfast, but they will provide sandwiches if you order them at breakfast. An 'honesty' bar is available - and full internet service can be provided if you ask.
I loved staying here. It has to be in one of the best setting in Exmouth - and the owners made me so very welcome.
I shall, without hesitation, choose this hotel when I visit my friend again - hopefully in the not too distant future.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Lovely location large rooms needs updating dining room not large enough to accomadate guests we were looking forward to using the swimming pool with our grandchildren but were unable to let them use it defining not a 4 star hotel

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank dillys w
Reviewed 22 August 2013

We had a lovely room and check in was easy. The room was also very clean and had good facilities. Our big disappointment was that having chosen the hotel mainly because it had a pool, this was out of order. Fine, it happens but we had conflicting stories as to what was wrong with it. This made us feel we were being fobbed off and for that reason we would not go back. Breakfast was fine but the poor woman who serves breakfast is rushed off her feet given breakfast is only served between 8 and 9.
The building is lovely but yes, as others have said it lacks someone to care for it. Come on owners, a little weeding doesn't take long. We also didn't like the fact that their dogs are allowed to wander from their pristine garden into the guests area.
The hotel is very close to the beach and in a nice area of Exmouth but an expensive option for somewhere that doesn't seem too cared for.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 August 2013

We stayed here as a family of 2 adults and 4 children. We had 2 wonderful nights sleep the beds were so comfy :-)

It is a B&B and not a hotel.

The breakfast was excellent and they accommodated my Coeliac husband and 5 year old daughter with toast etc.

The views were amazing especially in the sunshine. My kids wasted no time in taking advantage of the pool.

In all honesty it is a lovely place... but it did let it's self down. Just attention to detail like the rugs in the lounge and reception were a light colour - but filthy. Thick layers of dust on windows, doors etc. The place is a little tired and in need of re-decoration.

We would go back again and I think with a bit of money spent and some TLC this could be an excellent B&B.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank 555Ceri
Reviewed 8 August 2013

We have been coming to Exmouth for the last 10 years, but first time we have stayed at the Barn we brought our Dog with us & must say The Barn is ideal for the beach, very friendly great breakfast, lovely old property and will be staying again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple