“Pleasant break”

Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Exmouth
Doncaster
“Pleasant break”
Reviewed 9 September 2012

Stayed here for five nights. Booked three nights and two nights as can't book five in on go for some reason through Shearings website. We had nice large room for three nights. It was a corner bedroom so had two windows. Overlooked car park but not a problem. Room had been refurbished and was well maintained throughout the stay. Moved to sea view room for last two nights. This was smaller and not refurbished but we had sea view, would have not paid extra for sea view if I'd known about staying in refurbished room as it was bigger. Food was good. Service was good apart from last night and young blonde waitress must have had a bad day. In the evening we ordered soup and she managed to slop it down herself before serving it to me. Then after writing down our main order she ask us three times what we had ordered. We did get the right meal, but she took so long between courses as she was talking to everyone that we skipped the tea and coffee. It's okay being sociable but she still had a job to do. Apart from that the rest of the stay was fine. Good service and food.

Room Tip: Ask for high floor when booking
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Maiisie
AndrewMcCartney, General Manager at The Imperial Exmouth Hotel, responded to this review, 17 September 2012
Thank you for posting your review .
I am pleased you enjoyed the food and service at the hotel and I will be discussing the issues raised regarding the drop in service on that particular day.
The accommodation overlooking the car park has recently been refurbished, and although not a sea view, still has a pleasant outlook.

Regards Andrew

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
East Sussex
Reviewed 3 September 2012

On arrival at the hotel at about 5.45pm there was no one at the front desk. Not a good welcome. After a period of time, and much bell ringing from the person at the front of the queue someone arrived. On check in I asked if I required a code for WiFi and he said that no code was required, but it only worked in the lounge areas.

The website says WiFi and Internet. In 2012 one expects this to mean in the rooms. The photo attached shows a sign, taken in my room for WiFi, but there was zero signal If I knew this was the case I would not have booked the hotel. Any reader may see from other trip advisor reports I have submitted that I often mention WiFi. For me it is extremely important and to have to go to the lounge for access is not acceptable.

Other downsides include the bed - not comfortable for a £120 a night room. A long wait at breakfast to be served - while waitresses were standing around. The swimming pool was not very clean, and broken glass was found in the pool area. (It was also too cold for a swim on 1st sept).

As a comment - I know it is a Shearings hotel, but I think at breakfast I was about the only person who did not qualify for a bus pass (with the exception of a young, kind, care assistant).

It was not all bad. Adequate free parking. We paid for a premium sea view room. This was large, very clean and had a modern flat screen TV. It had a good view of the sea (room 114) The bathroom was old fashioned, but very clean and everything worked. Tea and coffee in the room. Breakfast was good, and on second day service was prompt.

If the WiFi was as expected, and reception desk manned on arrival my star rating would have been much higher.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Michael_East_Sussex
I am pleased you were happy the cleanliness and standard of your bedroom. I apologise for the slow service of your breakfast.The majority of reviews normally praise the efficient service of our dining room.
The wi fi is free of charge in our public areas. We have looked at installing wi fi in our rooms but this would be costly and we would have to charge our guests for this facility.
We will however take your comments into consideration when reviewing our internet access.
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2012

Arrived at this hotel this August bank holiday, positives are: there is a large car park, check in was quick and easy. Meals we ate at hotel were ok with good service for a busy restaurant and we had a brilliant view out to sea from our room number 212. The down sides to this hotel is the room decor, it was old and tired and if you were an asthma sufferer you would probably struggle with the damp on the walls. We also had unknown stains on the side of the divan bed and the toilet roll holder in the bathroom looked like it had been put up by a machine gun. We did informally enquiry of the chances of moving rooms, but were told the hotel was full.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
5 Thank M0gry
AndrewMcCartney, General Manager at The Imperial Exmouth Hotel, responded to this review, 4 September 2012
Thank you for posting your review.

I am pleased that you enjoyed the food and service at the hotel.
I am sorry we could not accommodate you with a different room. The water ingress stains have been decorated in house and I apologise for any inconvenience.
We are currentlly decorating two new specification sea view and superior rooms and have a further 6 rooms planned for refurbishment, early next year.
The views from many of our sea view rooms are spectacular and I am pleased you enjoyed this aspect of your stay

Llandrindod Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2012

Ok the good points: The hotel itself was nicely decorated, staff were pleasant and accomodating. We were on half board basis, so we ate in the gorgeous restaurant. The food was sufficient and well presented. However on the second night of our stay we waited over 10 minutes for a menu, and 35 minutes for our starters, this was whilst watching people around us finish their starters, mains and puddings ! We felt ignored and I complained although there was no clear restaurant manager that night !
Disaster on the 3rd day as we had a huge downpour, I was staying with my elderly parents, who had chosen a 'superior' room. Room 206, they had water running through their ceiling and my Mother went to notify reception, not one work of apology was given, a man came up and put some tubs of soup mix under the leak and said someone would fix when the rain stopped. However this was not to be, as on the last night, lots of rain again, my parents told the night porter who said there was nothing he could do as the hotel was full. He shoved some tubs outside their door and told them to get on with it. There was no general manager around, there was a deputy manager who was useless and said to complain to head office !! My parents are not complainers, I however feel this was discourtious and abysmal customer relations. My parents have taken Shearings holidays before, and will never do so again.
I stayed in a single room which was adequate but needed updating, there was mould in the corners of the bath, and behind the toilet well you don't want to know ! Avoid room 108 at all costs, well until refurbished at least.
All in all not a very satisfactory service for a big chain of hotels, although i did enjoy seeing Devon again with my parents.

Room Tip: Avoid 206 unless leaks been fixed and room 108 unless refurbished
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
10 Thank julia E
AndrewMcCartney, General Manager at The Imperial Exmouth Hotel, responded to this review, 31 August 2012
Thank you for posting your review.

Firstly I apologise for the leak in room 206.
The rain was torrential and this is not a common problem in room 206. The roof has now been repaired. The contractors were not available until Friday afternoon,they needed a break in the weather so they could get access to the roof and treat the problem.
I agree the customer care should have been better and I will be raising this issue with the front of house staff.
Room 108 there is slight mould in the corner of the bath which has been rempoved and resealed.
Behind the toilet is clean but the coupling that connects the toilet to the waste pipe has become discoloured over time. This has now been redecorated.
I hope you give the hotel another chance. Please let me know if you book anothe rstay at the Imperial and I will ensure you are looked after

Storrington
Reviewed 20 August 2012

We booked direct with Coast and Country hotels which proved to be difficult as they only offered 3 and 7 day breaks. After trying to book on line with no success I received a phone call from them stating that it was not possible to book for 5 days as we wished. However when I called the hotel direct the Spanish receptionist was more accomodating and with a change of room after 3 days it was done. We chose a superior room with a sea view which we would recommend, the room was quite well furnished and very clean. All staff were attentive and friendly.
The restaurant and service were excellent although the lights were rather bright and we would have preferred more subdued lighting to achieve a better atmosphere. The quality of food at breakfast and dinner were first class. We did not use the pool but noted that the gates were locked during our stay. On balance an enjoyable stay especially golf at the Sidmouth golf course.

Room Tip: Apparently th hotel has been refurbished but we felt that the superior rooms were worth the addition...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank keeling883

Its always good to know that you enjoyed your stay with us at the hotel. I will pass on your compliments to the kitchen and restaurant staff. We are currently reviewing our booking system to give more flexibility and choice when booking a stay with Coast and Country Hotels.
I hope to see you again at the Imperial

Woking
Reviewed 16 August 2012

We have delayed putting this Review on the site as we wrote to Shearings first to give them the chance to investigate our complaint and give us a satisfactory response. They failed misserable.It took 5 weeks for them to respond with a standard Sorry letter.
The Bathroom in the Sea View Room was disgusting!! Filthy Toilet and Hand Basin.The Shower was the worst shower we have EVER seen only beaten by the Shower Curtain which had Brown Stains of who knows what!!1 The Bath was only suitable to wash a Dog in. We will Never Ever go to a Shearinf Hotel again.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Peter B
AndrewMcCartney, General Manager at The Imperial Exmouth Hotel, responded to this review, 21 August 2012
Thank you for posting your review.

Firstly I apologise that the bathroom did not meet your expectations.
I will investigate all the sea view rooms to try and identify what bathroom you are referring to.As you can see by our trip advisors responses this is not a common complaint neither is cleanliness at the hotel. I dont know if you brought this to the duty managers attention? All our bathrooms are fully tiled and are let to guests twicw weekly

Bromley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2012

Location is perfect, good food and service. Nice big car park.
Pool area is very uninspiring, not happy to see seagulls pecking at the
rubbish bins at the side of the hotel, and then diving into the pool. Should really
be covered at night. Also one of the glass panels protecting the pool was cracked,
may be safety glass, but ultimately it will shatter, no sign of a repair in the week
we were there. Could do better in some external upkeep issues, but would return,

Room Tip: Well worth upgrading to a sea view.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 767JAMES
Thank you for your review.

I am pleased to note you had an enjoyable stay. I will look at replacing the pane of glass around the swimming pool.Unfortunately the sea gulls peck at rubbish bags in the street etc but that is part of being at a seaside location.
The swimming pool is tested twice a day for the correct chlorine levels to maintain the water clarity and hygiene standards.

Regards Andy