“Lovely weekend break”

The Imperial Exmouth Hotel
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Exmouth
Reviewed 7 May 2014

My husband and I stayed here from Friday 2 - Monday 5 May. Check in was smooth and as quick as possible (a coach party had just arrived in front of us so we had to wait for a little while to book in). We had booked a sea facing room and were allocated room 102, it is a huge room with a lovely view of the gardens and sea. I think the room and bathroom may have been recently re decorated as it looked very clean, and the fittings looked quite new, modern and fresh. The dining room was lovely, but could get a bit noisey at times with the amount of people dining at the same time and conversations did seem to get very loud from the coach party area! The waitress service was extremely efficient and the food was very tasty with a lovely selection each night. Drinks were a little pricey but thats what you come to expect from a hotel so it didnt really bother us. The lovely little town is a short walk from the main entrance. The walk along the promenade is lovely but did get a little chilly of an evening when there was a bit of a breeze. To the right of the hotel about 200m, facing the sea is a lovely little pub called The Grove where we sat at lunch times in the sun, it was very popular and the food was lovely. We did a circular walk from the town centre behind the hotel and up on to the coast path it was beautiful. We also visited A La Ronde a lovely little 16 sided house built in the 1800's by two spinsters well worth a visit! A boat trip down the river is another lovely experience.
We would recommend this hotel and if we were in the area again we would stay here again!

Room Tip: Up grade to sea facing room you wont be disappointed
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lyn14
AndrewMcCartney, General Manager at The Imperial Exmouth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Thank you for your review. Room 102 has been refurbished in the last year and is an airy spacious room.
I think the hotels location is second to none and I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us.
I hope to see you in the summer months

Many thanks Andrew

Reviewed 6 May 2014

This is a Shearings Coast & Country hotel so not surprisingly it has a lot of the older generation staying there each time we have visited.

The small lift by the Reception desk can require a bit of patience when you use it, but we still find the location, accommodation and staff to be really good.

Situated opposite the local gardens, the views from the back of the hotel, even though they are over the car park, also include the park and the town which is only a 3 - 5 min walk away. You do usually have to pay a supplement if you want a sea view which is also over the hotels gardens and is very nice,

The hotels restaurant is still a very elegant place to eat and the staff this time were all very nice and did a speedy and efficient job as far as we were concerned.

We generally found the food to be acceptable, except the Roast Beef that is served Sunday evenings, and which we now tend to avoid by eating elsewhere. Everything else is fine. We have to say that having stayed in other Shearings hotels, it was lovely to have hot food served to us!

We did experience a problem with the flat screen tv in our room. The signal kept breaking up and the picture quality was not good. We spoke to the gentleman on reception, Andres, who was about as helpful as you could get!

He tried sorting the problem by changing the aerial, then the tv and when that didn't work, he offered to change our room. As we only had one night left he offered us another solution which we accepted. He is a credit to the hotel and to Shearings! Thank you!

We noted with interest that the breakfast menu had been updated. Nice! Also the 'packed lunch' options have been reduced from three to one and they have finally changed the 'Chocolate Bar' (which they never had, because they always gave you a chocolate biscuit) now only says 'Kit Kat' (which is what they usually gave you). Thank you Shearings for finally doing that!

Our room, apart from the dodgy tv, was fine. As usual it could do with a lick of paint, replacing the heavier wood headboards and furniture with lighter more modern furniture, but hey, we know that is an unnecessary expensive, so it won't happen!

All the public lounge areas were clean and fairly comfortable. The outside area had changed because the swimming pool had gone and the area is now a very nice looking space which will probably be heavily used when the sun comes out and the outside seating is in place.

There is still a mini putting area which when we were there was being used quite a lot.

All in all, we find this hotel remains one of our favourite's.

Room Tip: The sea view rooms do have a nice outlook, but even those at the back, overlooking the car park coul...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write an honest and detailed review. I am pleased you have noticed the changes to our menus and we are looking forward to getting the sun terrace up and running in the coming months.

Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

I booked in for a short stay at the imperils whilst away on business. I was impressed with the politeness of the reception staff who couldn't do enough especially fixing the fault with my shower which was leaking they fixed it within a few hours leaving me to enjoy the rest of my stay the food was lovely my only criticism was that the chicken I had was a little dry but still tasty I will go back again if I need a hotel

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Sarahbigg

Thank you for your comments.
I am pleased you had a comfortable and relaxed stay with us. I think our customer care is what makes us different from more formal commercial/business type hotels

Many Thanks
Regards Andrew

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Stayed in a few Shearings and this one on a par with the others - easy check in and room ready on arrival at lunchtime. Decided to upgrade to a superior room which was worth it as more space and a king size bed as well as excellent sea views.Only stayed bed & breakfast as I personally find the evening menu a bit dull and prefer to try local pubs/restaurants.The breakfast is fine and served quickly by friendly staff.
As with other Shearings hotels there is a £5 a night parking fee if you want a guaranteed space and whilst with say Bournmouth it is essential to book here the car park is much bigger and there were empty spaces - leave this decision to you.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank smithy0407

Thank you for your very kind and honest review. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope to see you in the near future

Kind regards Andrew
I

Reviewed 23 April 2014

We have just stayed at this hotel. It is a large old hotel typical of seaside towns.Check in was very quick and the room ready early. The room was clean and tidy. Obviously with an old building there were a few bits that need decorating but overall in a good state of repair. The restaurant had a good selection each evening and the service was excellent. Being right on the sea front you could walk out of the gate right onto the esplanade. I would have no hesitation in staying here again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
AndrewMcCartney, General Manager at The Imperial Exmouth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to give us some feed back. I am pleased you enjoyed your overall stay with us especially the dining room service. I agree it is an excellent location to enjoy Exmouth and the surrounding areas

Reviewed 4 April 2014

This hotel caters for the coach-party trade, but is still a very good choice for the independent traveller.
Right on the seafront in Exmouth, with very pleasant gardens in front (and car-parking - free when I visited, but possibly chargeable in peak season?).
My room was large and comfortable, with a decent bath and shower.
A nice bar downstairs, and an easy walk into town if you'd rather eat out.
Breakfast functional rather than lavish, but very acceptable for the price paid.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank MikeC_2006
AndrewMcCartney, General Manager at The Imperial Exmouth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

Thank you for your honest review.
I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us.The hotel is perfectly situated to enjoy the seafront at the bottom of our gardens or the town centre a two minute walk way.
I hope to see you again in the coming months

Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed in. Large sea view suite with my wife and her elderly parents down corridor. Great sea views and good location for sea front. Decor average with signs of leaks and poor plastering where TV cable inserted. In laws' TV needed retuning every time it was turned on.

Food average too though staff were good. Restaurant was a huge hall and tables were a lottery as to whether you had 'traffic' or not.

Relaxing atmosphere. No wifi in rooms.

A step back in time which can be ok if food decor etc are good rather than just average.

Oh - if you come off set menu you sign bits of paper each night and the allowance is stingy.

Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank LondonUKTraveller007

Thank you for your comments.
We constantly review our accommodation standards and I will look into your comments regarding the signs of water leaks.
I apologise for the fault with the television and this television has been swapped out for a new one.
In March we charged £159 per person for four nights, dinner, bed and breakfast for a standard room. This includes a twenty five pound in house credit voucher to be used against food and drink. I don't quite understand the comment about being stingy and we have to record transactions in the restaurant.
I am pleased you enjoyed the views and the hotel location and I hope you return in the warmer months.

Regards Andrew

Also consider these accommodations in or near Exmouth
Royal Beacon Hotel
#1 of 3 in Dawlish
Lympstone Manor
Lympstone Manor
#1 of 11 in Exmouth

Been to The Imperial Exmouth Hotel? Share your experiences!