“Good but not quite as good as hoped.”
Review of The Waterfront Restaurant - CLOSED

The Waterfront Restaurant
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Open on bank holidays for Breakfast, Lunch,afternoon teas & Dinner Monday to Saturday last orders 21.00 Sundays 10am to 4.30pm
Reviewed 31 August 2014

After returning from 2 weeks on Greece we decided to finish our holiday with a visit to the much talked about Waterfront Restaurant. We rang and were told we could have a table if we came early, 7.15 as they were fully booked....and we did witness 7 people turned away during our brief 1hour visit so booking is strongly advised.

We opted for the rib eye steak rather that the array of fish available. We asked for medium but when it arrived it was more med-rare....great for me not for the husband! The chips that came with it were slightly over cooked...they looked as if they had been fried twice and came pre-salted which was not to our taste....we don't like to use much salt on food and they were greasy due to the frying .....the only other accompaniment was a pile of rocket and a "pan" of bernaise sauce which was thick and not appetising to us. The meat was tasty but do I think it was worth the price paid...no not for this meal......think the Waterfront has great views from most tables..(the terrace being booked weeks in advance) and there is an array of fish that looked tasty and was well presented on the plate. Puddings were poor in variety, very small and not worth their cost. We had iced nougat and raspberry sorbet. It came with a small biscuit and a smaller lump of sorbet and a ball of iced cream with nougat in it which the husband ate in 4 mouthfuls.....husband also had a white hot chocolate which he said was more milk and sugar...very little chocolate taste.

The staff were attentive but looked under pressure and this sometimes showed in certain peoples faces. We were served by a new young man who was chirpy and really friendly and polite. The owner was pleasant and returned the chips and supplied an unsalted bowl in double quick time...adding he felt they weren't too bad but understood people have different tastes.
There was a vast specials board and a great variety of fish including a small selection that would appeal to children and there were children present and a high chair available for this purpose. There were tables, booths and they are placed far enough away form each other that you don't feel overcrowded.
We were glad we went but weren't overwhelmed by our visit.....it is worth a second visit but the jury is out on whether this will become a family favourite.

We would have rated this good because it doesn't deserve average but isn't very good yet.

1  Thank AmandaG999

Reviewed 30 August 2014

A friend and I had dinner here one evening in July and although we thought the location was great we were very surprised at the small portions for the amount charged. I returned my minute portion of fish and I was told that "the fish would look more if I had potatoes underneath"( I had opted for chips instead)! I was given an extra piece of fish but still felt it was expensive at £18. I was surprised at the attitude of the manager to my complaint.
All in all if you are happy to pay London prices for small portions then eat here but we won't be going again, at least not for a meal.

Reviewed 29 August 2014

A true find with attentive servers, great menu with something appealing for every palate - not just seafood lovers. Very special way to celebrate our first wedding anniversary with our 2 young daughters. Highly recommended!!

Reviewed 29 August 2014

Had a special lunch on Tuesday 26 Aug in glorious sunshine, amazing views, food and service excellent. A real treasure for Exmouth. We look forward to seeing you all year round. We will be back.

Reviewed 28 August 2014

When visiting friends in Topsham, we were recommended to visit this recently opened restaurant.
We arrived at 8pm to a warm welcome form the owner, the restaurant was almost full with a vibrant relaxed atmosphere, our table was on the terrace which could have been a problem due to the inclement weather if it wasn't for the raised glass panels & retractable roof that were fully deployed, with infrared heaters keeping the space toasty warm, a concept I haven't seen used successfully in the UK before.

I don't drink and am normally disappointed by the limited choice of suitable beverages, but not on this occasion, my choice a virgin mojito (probably the best I have ever tasted). To start I chose the Squid, it was meaty and moist held in its lightly spiced tempura batter not the usual tasteless rings & tentacles but lovely slices of fantastic flavour with a rich creamy mayonnaise of basil & garlic. My wife had Gazpacho (her words "wonderful"). My main course the local Mussels (they are farmed/ processed less than 100 meters from the restaurant) now that's local, juicy, plump, perfectly cooked & full of flavour, the portion was almost too big (but I managed) they were great. My wife's rib eye steak was cooked to perfection, well rested (makes a change) & full of flavour with hand cut chips & a "real" béarnaise sauce.

After a second mojito We were tempted to share the waitresses recommendation of Ricard creme brûlée, rich & creamy with the subtle hit of Pernod and a merest hint of vanilla under a crisp freshly toasted sugar crust. The finale, a smooth but full flavoured espresso.

The bottom line is we can't recommend a visit to the The Water Front enough, I can't wait to return.
Don't hesitate to book (you need to for dinner, they rightly deserve their popularity).