“Another fab week but.....” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Devon Cliffs Holiday Park - Haven

Devon Cliffs Holiday Park - Haven
Bridgwater
“Another fab week but.....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

Third year in a row for all the family and yet another another great holiday. The caravan we had was great in an ideal location not too far from the complex and just right for the beach which meant it was easy to do all the activities.

Tried Marsh and Barrel for the 1st time and found the food to be good and because we ordered before 5 we saved 25%!! South Beach as usual was a high standard and the quality of food great, wait was 40 mins but at 6.30pm it was not too bad.

Cannot recommend the Segway experience enough!!! it was the most fun I have had in ages even though I fell off, would recommend to all!!

The only 2 buts were: it took all week to replace a broken tv remote control which while not a major concern meant it was a hassle to watch the DVD's we brought for the kids and the absolutely rubbish "free Wifi" which took either 10 mins to log into or you could not log into at all. Even when you did manage to log in 15 mins were soon up as you waited for the pages to load. It was fine around the main complex but back at the caravan it was rubbish. Also no phone signal or 3G.

Despite those two minor quibbles we had already booked for next year on our last day so thumbs up all round for Devon Cliffs!

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank mpeaton99
Devon C, Manager at Devon Cliffs Holiday Park - Haven, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Hi mpeaton99,

Thank you for leaving a review following on from your recent visit to Devon Cliffs. I’m really pleased to hear you enjoyed your holiday and the location of your caravan really suited you and your family’s needs.

I’m glad you enjoyed the food served and both the Mash & Barrel and the South Beach, they have such a difference in the options on their menus, but are both worth a visit.

The segways are so much fun! I hope you didn’t bump yourself too hard.

I am sorry the TV remote never got resolved. Many of our TVs should work without one, but I do appreciate how frustrating it may have been if your little ones wanted to watch DVDs. I’m also very sorry about the WIFI service. Its currently provided by an external company, and we are currently collating feedback from our guests to present to them in order to make it better in the future. Yours will also be added to this.

I’m so pleased you are already booked for next year - it will be here before you know it!

We look forward to welcoming you back then!

Michelle

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (458)
Warwickshire, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

As this was our first visit to Haven in Devon cliffs, my family and I weren't quite sure what to expect...
The Caravan and the Check-in:
When we first arrived we were directed to the reception and had a -surprisingly very quick service check- in, which led us straight to our caravan to have a look and settle in. When we arrived at our caravan two male cleaners were there cleaning the carpet. The Haven sight, before we arrived, said that we had to arrive at the sight after 3:00pm. We arrived at 4:00pm and the carpet was only just been cleaned. The men apologised and let us in our caravan and left us to our privacy. The caravan on first inspection looked like a nice place that would suit the 7 people in our family, being a deluxe plus you would believe that it would be a spacious caravan. Unfortunately on second view we looked at the bedrooms, we were then surprised about how little the space between the beds were. We had no wardrobe space either leaving the suitcases to stay under our beds full of laundry and toiletries etc. Another thing that really bothered us was the smell of the cheesy feet around the 'cleaned' carpet area. We thought that the cleaners might of been cleaning the carpet because of a child's vomit maybe?

The Pool:
As I always am I was quite excited to go to the pool- that's where I mostly spend my holiday but trying to swim in the pool was a hard task as it was full of little kids and parents. The slides weren't much of a fun time as most of my family had to pull their way through them. The times also of the opening and closing pool was quite a joke... open: 10am to 12:30
open: 2:00 to 5:45pm
Activities:
The activities were very expensive for example for one person on the tree top trail is £15 and to top on that they do weigh you so that may be a downside for some people. Crazy golf is £12.00 for an adult and £7.00 for a child for just a 9 hole course.
Many activities are for little kids who are bored so if you have older kids it would be a bad idea. My sister (15) and I (12) were very bored and only had the family as company.

Wifi:
My last point of this review was the wifi. Each day you can only get 15 minutes of free wifi and if you want to pay for it (unlikely) then you would have to pay £7 pound for 1 day, £10 for the next and £12 for the third etc.

All in all I don't think that if you want a fun adventure packed holiday that it is the right place to go and neither if you have 10 year olds or older.
If I was to be honest Haven needs to improve quite a bit to get my families vote!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Hi Katie W,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us some feedback, I’m so sorry that you have returned home disappointed from your stay. We are an all action Haven park, and we offer many facilities, activities and venues for families to have a fantastic holiday.

I am sorry your caravan was still being prepared on your later arrival. Sometimes we may need to complete carpet cleans to ensure the highest standards of cleanliness are maintained in our caravans but it is our intention to get them done pre arrival.

I’m also sorry that there wasn’t enough space to suit your needs. The largest caravan we do is 12ft wide, but storage areas can vary depending on each separate make and model of van.

I’ve spoken with the Sports & Leisure manager regarding the slides, he’s not aware of there being an issue, but says he will keep an eye on them to ensure one doesn’t occur. The pool will be full of families of all ages using it as this is where they are staying on holiday.
The pool opening times are also standard across all our Haven Parks. 9.30am - 12.45, and the 2pm - 5.45pm. The times before, after and in between are used to cover breaks, and extra activities.

Nothing is more important to us than the safety of our guests, so to ensure that the right harness is fitted to our customers, we may need to weigh guests, or ask the question as a safety measure. The £15.00 cost is much cheaper than places in the local area that offer the same facility. The closest one to us charges £25.00 for a child.

I’m sorry you were unhappy with the cost of the WIFI, but the service and tariff is provided by an external company. I will be happy to pass your comments onto them for future reference.

It’s such a shame that you didn’t find us as much fun as you would have liked. We have welcomed well over 20,000 families so far this year who absolutely love everything that Devon Cliffs has to offer. I do hope in time you may change your mind and return for another visit.

Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

Just returned home after a brilliant week (25th July-1st August). Stayed in a Deluxe 2 bed, which was spotless and well equipped. Only slight problem we had was the caravan is advertised as 12ft wide, which it was, but nothing mentioned about the length of the van, which seemed very short and cramped (stayed in Spruces 130) Didn't have enough space to get changed in the master bedroom!!. Bathroom light was broken on arrival, but once reported was fixed within the hour.

On arrival, the staff were very friendly and accommodating, check in was fast and efficient...tried to upgrade but was told nothing available....not surprising really as it was packed! Dropped on a parking space as well....which is a bonus.

Throughout our stay we ate at every food outlet. By far, the ace in the hole is the South Beach Cafe.....food was amazing...not cheap, but you get what you pay for! We went back twice in the week to try other dishes as they were just so good!
Mash and Barrel food was also very good, presented very well and tasty, served by lovely, chatty staff who made sure you had everything you needed.
Fast food outlets, well, they do exactly what they say on the tin. Chippy was nice, Papa Johns, lovely pizza and Burger King....well, you can't go wrong!!!

We went out every night, either to Bugsys or Capones, depending on what we wanted to see. Bar staff in Bugsys were amazing....friendly, efficient and after only 1 day remembered what drink we wanted before I asked! They really do deserve to be congratulated by management as they made our stay all the more enjoyable. Staff in Capones were also very good, but just not in the same league ;-)

Plenty to do on park and locally, beach was brilliant, seaweed all removed which helps.... But not as much as the amazing weather we enjoyed.

Yes, there is a military firing range next to the park, but it really isn't that problematic, and you end up drowning the noise out without thinking. Wasn't expecting soldiers to be marched past my caravan late at night and between 6-7am....nowt like a wake up call of 'a-left, a-left, a-left right left!!!!'

On the whole it was a great week, amazing food and facilities with fantastic staff.

Will definitely return!

Location
4 Thank Sean B
Hi Sean B,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review after your recent holiday with us. I’m sorry the booked caravan was still a little on the small side for you. Spruces 130 is 12ft wide, but with it being a 2 bedroom its only 28ft in length. Although we don’t advertise or guarantee the length of a van, they can vary from 28ft - 36ft in length depending on the make and model. Its normally 3 bedroom vans that are longer to accommodate the extra bedroom.

I’m really pleased to hear our welcome team were friendly and accommodating, and check in was smooth and quick for you. I’m also pleased you enjoyed the food served in our restaurants and outlets.

I will make sure your comments for the team in Bugsy’s and Capons are passed on. Our Management team will be sure to praise them for all their hard work.

I’m really glad you will return to us, and we really look forward to welcoming you back later on. If you maybe wanted a bit of a lie in please let us know and we will try and allocate you away from the military range.

West Sussex, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

Booked a weeks holiday at devon cliffs as we have done for a good few years as every time we have been it has been very good but this time we was disappointed from the start check in was at 4 we went to our caravan and found out it hadn't been cleaned so we sat outside in the car, the cleaner turned up at 4.15 no apology and started cleaning they then sent a few cleaners in we didn't get in the caravan till nearly 5 still no apology and we had to clean all the work tops cupboards and table ourselves as was still dirty . We filled the fridge up with cold meats , breakfast items etc but then later found out the fridge had broken nothing was done until the next day when they replaced the fridge but everything inside had gone off no apology yet again and no offer of replacing the gone off food
Customer service on the accommodation side is very poor and needs addressing , other than that haven was good dan is a brilliant fun star and entertainment was fun apart from the comedian who started repeating his jokes after 5 minutes very poor and outdated , the pool was great and the beach was as lovely as always even with the bad customer service with the accommodation we will be back again

Stayed July 2014
Hi Itsmekellie,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review following on from your recent visit to Devon Cliffs. I appreciate how disappointed you must be feeling on a return visit when many other holidays before have always been good.

I am sorry your caravan was not clean on time prior to your arrival. Of course our team should certainly extend their apologies if getting the caravan late and can see you waiting to go in.
I have sent a copy of your review over to our Accommodation Manager to review back with his team. If you have chance would you mind emailing me direct on the address below with some more details of your holiday booking and caravan number so we can look into it a bit more.

I’m glad you enjoyed the entertainment, in particular Dan. He will be pleased to hear your comments.

I am glad that despite your issues you will return to us in the near future. We want to ensure that we get everything right, so I would love to hear from you direct on any future booking information so we can make sure you get the experience that you deserve.

Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

Having 4 children, I have visited Haven sites before over the years. Devon Cliffs has always been touted as a premier park with many attractions ideal for a family holiday. So it was that 7 of us hired a Deluxe plus caravan for such a family holiday in July, the youngest of our group being 12.

The site is wonderfully located with access to a sandy beach which seems to be exclusively used by residents of the park. In general terms the park is clean and maintained well and has lovely views. It is however fairly remote, so a car journey or bus ride is necessitated if you wish to shop elsewhere than the on site Spar which is ridiculously expensive, though convenient. The local Tesco is about a 5-10minute car ride away.

There are some lovely walks to Buddliegh Salterton and Exmouth, and the area in general is very picturesque.

There are two main function rooms on site, one catering more for children and the other with a more adult ethos, however there is no restriction in either room as far as I am aware, apart from 'Capones' where children are not allowed to play bingo under 18 (for legal reasons). We did not manage to get in to either room to witness any of the entertainment as the rooms were packed and there were no tables available at the times we tried to get one. I was told by a member of staff that we should arrive by 5.30 to ensure a table, but as we weren't prepared to re-arrange our schedules during the day we decided not to bother.

We rented a caravan that slept 8. Sadly, the single beds are designed for children and not 6 foot tall lads, and the pull out sofa bed was particularly uncomfortable. The shower room was spacious and fit for purpose as was the lounge area which was also comfortable. However, the kitchen equipment supplied was of a budget nature, and trying to cook for seven became pretty impossible, which meant we were forced to eat out more often than not.

The major eating spot (The Mash Barrel) on site was actually quite reasonable and the food was good, although on busy nights there can be over an hour wait to be served.

I have to say that I was expecting there to be lots on site to entertain our family group, but the reality is that if your children are over 10, there is not a lot to keep them occupied. The swimming area is free of charge as you would expect, but it is more fun orientated than swimming and is always full when it's open. (it opens at 9.30, closes for lunch and then opens from 2.00 till 5.45 - I would guess that this is to accommodate various water based activities which have to be paid for and are age restricted for younger children.)

There is an adventure trail climbing based activity which we could have all taken part in, but it was at a cost of £15 per head thereby costing us over £100. The only activity we did all undertake together was the crazy golf which was £12 per adult but concessions for children and family groups.

We definitely got the impression that everything at Devon Cliffs is geared to taking as much money from you as possible, including the free 15minutes of Wi-Fi per day which particularly annoyed my group as it wasn't sufficient sometimes to download a book to read. Wi-fi cost £7 per day but decreased the more days you paid for e.g. £21 for 10 days. It was also strange that we couldn't get 3g or 4g on site, yet as soon as we went off site this appeared to be no problem.

We did have a good holiday, but it could have been so much better in our view. In short, if your children are under 10, then this could well be the place for you. If they are older, I would suggest you look at alternatives.

Location
1 Thank Andy W
Devon C, Manager at Devon Cliffs Holiday Park - Haven, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
Hi Andy W,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review following on from your recent visit to the park. I’m really pleased to hear that you enjoyed may aspects of your stay, and appreciate you highlighting some areas that you would like to see improved on any future visits.

All guests feedback is crucial in helping us make any future changes and investments, and your feedback has been dually noted.

We hope to see you back here at Devon Cliffs in the near future.

Basingstoke, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

Myself, Wife and 2 children (13 and 11) have just returned from a 7 night break, staying 26th July - 2nd August). We had booked a Prestige Plus caravan and the week before we upgraded to a 2014 model online as we checked our holiday package, for just £17.50.

I cannot fault the caravan we had, we were in Juniper Close and had a view of the sea from our living room area and were pretty close to the entertainment venues. Yes, you can hear the entertainment at night, but it's minor and didn't stop any of us getting some well deserved sleep. But as I said, we were fairly close to the entertainment facilities, so I'm sure if you're based further away you wouldn't hear such noise.

This is the first time for 4 years we've been away in this country, so were nervous about how this would compare to going abroad. However, I can safely say we had a fantastic break away and we were very lucky with the weather (apart from last Friday which was a rainy day).
There is plenty to do onsite, but as you would expect you can end up spending a fair bit of money, such is the British holiday these days.

The site is very well maintained and every member of staff we spoke to was very polite and friendly and always very helpful. Yes it is hilly, but we didn't really find it that bad to be honest. The beach is nice and clean (all be it with a bit of seaweed!) and I cannot recommend highly enough the South Beach Café! We went there for a meal on our last night and I wish we had gone there earlier in the week. The food was of a very high quality and although it maybe a little expensive, the portion sizes are huge. I was too stuffed to have a pudding (which I was gutted about!). The sea view from the restaurant is lovely as well.

The evening entertainment wasn't too bad. With other boys, we only ever went to Capones and it's typical holiday entertainment. The evening entertainment at sites like Butlins is much better, but it depends on whether that is an important part of your holiday. For us, as long as we could relax and enjoy, I can't complain. You can order a Papa Johns pizza to your table as well, which came in handy one night.

My youngest son had a go on the aerial adventure with zip wires, etc and he thoroughly enjoyed it. It was £15 for him to have a go and he took around 45 minutes to complete the course.

The only negative point I would have would be the Mash and Barrel pub. We visited twice for a meal, both around 6-6.30pm in the evening. We popped in for a bite to eat on the first night we were there and I couldn't complain. However, we went back a few days later for a meal and the service was slow. We had to wait just over an hour before we received our starters and then a further 20 minutes before our main courses arrived. My impression was that they did not have enough staff to cover the number of customers in the restaurant.

I could also mention the WiFi. You do receive a daily 15 minute allowance and that's for every device you have, but to be honest when we're away on holiday the mobiles, etc are either left at home or put away and only checked occasionally, incase of any messages from back home.

For places to visit, I would definitely recommend Budleigh Salterton if the weather is good. The beach is lovely and although a pebble beach, the water is nice and clear and it's a very peaceful place to relax for the day. It's only a 5-10 minute drive down the road as well, so nothing too taxing. If you go to the sea front carpark, you can pay £6 for the whole day.

We also went into Exmouth for a mooch around visited Paignton Zoo. The Zoo was ok, but compared to Marwell Zoo or London Zoo, this place is a little tired. A lovely day out nonetheless.

Overall, an excellent break away and I would consider going back in the future.

Sleep Quality
      Cleanliness
3 Thank SteveJ77
Hi SteveJ77,

Thank you for your review following on from your recent visit to Devon Cliffs. It’s lovely to hear how much you enjoyed your time on holiday with us, and would definitely come back to us in the future.

I’m glad the spec and location of your caravan suited your needs, of course if this is a requirement in future please let us know beforehand and we will try and locate you in a similar place.

Our teams work so hard to keep the park looking lovely and pristine, they will be really pleased to hear your thoughts.

Such a shame you were full up at dinner, I would recommend the fish pie and the chocolate box!! very yummy!

I can’t tell you how popular the aerial adventure has been this year - has certainly been one of the best improvements that has been made to the park. I’m sure there are still many more to come.

I’m sorry on your return visit to the Mash & Barrel it wasn’t the same as your first experience. I will pass your feedback on to the Restaurant Manager to keep a close eye on things.

The WIFI is provided by an external company and we appreciate your feedback which we will add to others with the same feeling to try and get some improvements for future visits.

Thank you once again for leaving your comments, and I do hope that we get the opportunity to welcome you back to Devon Cliffs again next year.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

This was my 18th time to Devon Cliffs after coming here every year throughout my childhood and into my teens. I am now in my thirties and have just come back from a week away with all my family after not visiting the park for over 8 years. I was impressed with all the modifications/upgrades that have been made to the park but believe there are still a few issues that hinder the park in being much better. This website is designed for people to give their honest opinion on what there experience was, so I am going to be totally honest in what I believe affects the park. My biggest issue is without doubt the standard of people that are using the park now to when I used to come here. My honest opinion is that this is down to the introduction and influx of "Sun Holidays". I understand the park allows mass amounts of Sun holidays as it fills up caravans, clubs, bars etc...therefore bringing in extra revenue. I am not stereo typing all the same but I feel this allows SOME families that would otherwise not be able to afford to go to this park, the opportunity to go and get hammered for 4/5 days. On a number of occasions we had families walking past our caravan swearing very loudly, stumbling all over the road. In one instance we saw a couple fighting between themselves whilst their young children watched on. Luckily my children were sleeping and did have to hear or watch this happen. This for me is all disrespectful to other people on the park and did not use to happen. My other issues are 1. the lack of baby bottle heating facilities (I understand there are H&S concerns but just stick a microwave in the amusements and put a sign saying use at your own risk) SORTED. My next issue is one that has been going on since we came to the park as young children and that is the accessibility to the beach. for me and my younger members of our family this is fine but for my Dad who suffers with back issues and has breathing difficulties, it took him almost 30 mins to get up. I could not imagine how it would be for someone disabled? A chair lift or some way of getting down to the beach for less abled people needs to be implemented.
Other than these issues the park is good. Nice places to eat and always something to do. the aerial adventure is great fun and a must try. The swimming pool is good but could do with more slides as the only proper flume took ages to queue for. Staff were all very nice and entertainment was decent. Not sure if I will be returning to the park simply because of the standard of people going. I am by no means a snob and was brought up on a not so nice council estate. I have just been brought up with manners and respect for others. Unfortunately I could not say the same for a lot of other people on the park.

2 Thank rusel_10
Hi rusel_10,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback following on from your recent visit to Devon Cliffs. I certainly appreciate you taking the time to do so, especially this being your 18th time to us.

I’m sorry you feel there is a lack of bottle warming faculties in our venues. I do appreciate how this can be a bit of an inconvenience to you, but the microwaves we use in our kitchens are industrial, and much more powerful than a normal daily appliance, and we would be absolutely distraught if it was too hot when fed to your baby. I’m sure our team would have been able to offer a jug of hot water to warm any bottle or jar in at a table area.
I will speak to our Complex Manager about maybe having some microwave stations in the restaurant areas for this purpose in the future, but it’s not something that we would be able to place in the arcade areas for safety reasons.

Our swimming pool has 7 inside slides, including a multi lane flume with 5 lanes, a smaller indoor flume, and the twisty flume. Alongside this there is the central play area for families and smaller children so they can have as much fun possible.

The slope to the beach was re-developed about 3 years ago when the South Beach was firstly constructed. Due to the natural terrain of the park and Cliffside we have made it as easily accessible as possible.

We do accept £9.50 holidays during low season, however the price that a customer pays for their holiday doesn’t categorise or reflect on the kind of clientele other customers may assume them to be.
The £9.50 holiday offer is open to the entire UK as every family should have some holiday time together, and with this offer, it helps those less fortunate to take that opportunity to get away.

As a company we do have park rules, so that our customers can come on holiday and feel safe and secure, we do also hope that any customer on our park has the sense to have respect and consideration for other holiday makers. Everyone spends their holiday time doing things completely different to others, but this is their own freedom of choice.

As a business, our aim is to sell as much of our availability as possible, but the income side of things is less important to us than the quality of a holiday we anticipate our guests will have. Our team work hard to create great holiday memories that we hope our customers will capture, and take home.

Should any of our guests who stay at Devon Cliffs come across any disputing families, or arguments, we would advise you to contact a member of the team immediately. It may take an intervention from our security team to resolve the situation, but this is something we will do as it’s not nice to see or hear for other families.
Whilst we can’t take responsibility for the behaviour of others, but we will not condone fighting, or out of control situations. I can assure you it’s very uncommon that things like this happen here at Devon Cliffs, but if need so we do have the right to ask any offending parties to leave the park.

I do hope this puts your mind at rest, and for anyone else that reads the reviews on Trip Advisor who may be considering to visit the park in the future.

We hope to see you back here again for your 19th visit!

Michelle
Also consider these accommodations in or near Exmouth
Devoncourt Resort & Apartments
Royal Beacon Hotel
Royal Beacon Hotel
#7 of 10 in Exmouth
Devon Valley Holiday Village

Been to Devon Cliffs Holiday Park - Haven? Share your experiences!