“Great location for family activity holiday. Set your expectations at the right level and you will have a great time”
Review of The Ashbury Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Fowley Cross
The Ashbury Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Fowley Cross
Reviewed 30 December 2013

My wife booked a 3 day stay here between Christmas and New Year. The promotional materials and website do the hotel and it's sister ( The Manor House ) few favours and I was expecting very little.

We have just arrived home and had a great time. Here's why -
1) Loads of sports and craft activities for our 3 boys ( 10,12 and 15)
2) New spa facilities at both hotels are really good - clean and classy
3) Fantastic 60 minute swedish massage @ only £28 - a steal
4) Food is good - well cooked and presented ( home cooking style ) and a great selection ; esp. for the kids
5) Friendly and helpful staff
6) At only £150 per person for 3 days , with everything included = wonderful value

Lots of reviews mention the tired 70's decor ( which is true ) and the lighting is not very soothing. Plus the buildings ( externally) look like they should be used as overflow accommodation for Dartmoor Prison.
These are peripheral points though. Look past these and you will have a really enjoyable stay at amazing value.

Room Tip: stay at the Ashbury and not the Manor House. You can enjoy facilities at both and the Ashbury is muc...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Hammmondo
There are newer reviews for The Ashbury Hotel

Reviewed 2 December 2013

Have just returned from a two night stay at the Ashbury Manor and have to say it was absolutely amazing.
This was our first stay here and having read some previous negative reviews we weren,t sure what to expect I have to say it far exceeded any expectations.
The rooms are a little dated but clean and comfortable not that you need to spend much time in them with so much to do.
Golf was excellent busy but so well organised that we didn't get held up at all and the complimentary Hot drinks and Mince Pies bought out to you on course were a great touch.
Food basic but hot and plentiful,
Facilities , where do you start we managed Indoor Bowls, Snooker, Ten Pin Bowling, to name but a few never even got to the swimming and sauna etc so much to do!!!!
Staff everywhere were friendly and helpful even though they have to put up with some people who are so rude.

If you are looking for 5 star hotel and food then book it and pay extortionate prices if you are looking for a great weekend break with something for everyone at a fantastic price then book Ashbury or the Manor.
Already looking to book for a return early in the new year.

• Stayed: December 2013
3  Thank Bluem00
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Had to stay at the Asbury for 2 nights in September, this was not out of choice but due to a error with an alternative hotel and this was the only option available. I can honestly say though I would have preferred to stay in a tent and eaten cold baked beans from the tin.
You can not even say this place is cheap and cheerful, as its just cheap and it shows. The staff were as unhelpful and miserable as you could possibly get, and as for the food I have served in Afghanistan where our meals were prepared and served in a tent whilst under constant threat of attack and yet the chefs there produced food 100 time better than the Ashbury. Of the time spent there we only used the restaurant once (that's if you could call it a restaurant). The rooms were unclean and was obvious the bedding hadn't been changed, if you wanted a remote for the TV then it was a £10 deposit if you wanted a bath towel it was a £10 deposit.
All 15 people in my party complained about our stay and the manager couldn't even be bothered to get his backside out of his chair to talk to us, so this probably explains why the rest of the staff have such a poor attitude.
In all it is a very cheap golf hotel that caters for a cheap chavie clientele, you don't even get what you pay for. Would I stay there again? NO CHANCE!!!!!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
7  Thank cornishtomo
ManorAshbury, General Manager at The Ashbury Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2013

Dear cornishtomo,

I was sorry to read in your review that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I clearly remember the events of your stay with us even though it was back in September. As I recall the hotel you had originally booked, with which we have no connection, had made a double booking error and subsequently had no availability for your party. I was pleased however, that we were able to accommodate your party at very short notice. The hotel in question is a ‘luxurious’ country hotel that has achieved a Taste of the West award for their fine dining restaurant. We do not put ourselves in this bracket. We are a 2 star leisure hotel serving tens of thousands of meals a year to many happy guests

I have detailed notes of the complaints you made during your first evening meal with us. You fielded your complaints to the organiser of your course, not to the management here at the hotel. This lady visited us the following day to assess the hotel and try to address the complaints from your group. Myself and my Deputy Manager met with her and showed her around the rooms and dining rooms. After spending some considerable time with her she agreed that the rooms and bedding were fine and perfectly clean. She stated that previous courses she had organised were all at hotels with a much higher star rating (and tariff) than we have.

We get many reviews including those seen on this site praising our accommodation, facilities and especially food. I am sorry that we did not meet you own expectations. I do not agree with you that we are “cheap” - we are very reasonably priced and offer a wealth of free of charge activities and facilities. I believe you were expecting a 4 star quiet country house hotel with fine dining. Due to the original hotel making the double booking error they found you an alternative hotel (Ashbury) at short notice which clearly wasn’t ‘like for like’.

So to sum up – the rooms were clean; the bedding was clean; some of our TVs do require a remote from reception (foc); bath towels are, of course, provided in all bedrooms but swimming towels require a deposit. I would have spoken to you directly but this was not the process you chose to take.

Simon Brothers
(Manager, Ashbury Hotel)

Reviewed 21 November 2013

We have just spent 4 days at The Ashbury as a group of 8 people. This was our 2nd visit and we have already booked again for 2014.
The décor is dated but adds to the comfort. Rooms are extremely comfortable, they have everything that you need and are very clean.
The facilities are very good and we look forward to the Spa opening here soon. Massages are certainly to be recommended. The restaurant was a bit noisy but this is to be expected as it is a golf resort which accommodates large groups taking advantage of the facilities and therefore this will generate noise.
The staff are all very friendly and very helpful. The food is plentiful there was a wide choice available for breakfast, lunch & dinner. There is no rush at any of the meal times.
The Golf resort is usually quiet during the day as most people take advantage of the golf and this hotel is not normally frequented by families with children. As the Manor House is more family orientated it would be great if this hotel was Adults only. The swimming pool was very clean as were the sauna & Jacuzzi's.
The overall cost of our weekend was very reasonable and good value for money. Compared to a stay in a Travelodge, there is no competition. We did use the Spa facilities at The Manor House but we found that hotel was far too busy and noisy. It is perfect for families with children as there is such a large choice for them.

Reviewed 19 November 2013

We visited as a family 3 years ago and had a fantastic time. We loved every minute and were considering coming back at Christmas.......I don't think so now after a horrible experience. My visit this weekend as part of a group was just not very nice. On arrival at 5p.m on Friday night I discovered that there were no spa or treatment bookings available for Friday or Saturday, which looked as if they had been taken up with group bookings. From the moment I arrived to the moment I left, the whole experience was dominated by large groups of people, often groups of men, who were loud and noisy and at times very rude on the tennis courts. Queue after queue at reception for the smallest of queries. The hardest thing was trying to get a bottle of water before 10.00a.m in a hotel which positions itself as a sport hotel...and then going to the water machine by the tennis courts which was broken, loosing £2.00, reporting it to reception, who then told me they had known for a week..........why no out of order sticker? But maybe it suited the hotel for it to be out of order - it was a £1.00 out of the machine, but £1.30 from the bar....not sure why?

The food quality has fallen, red cabbage and sweet corn as the main vegetables on Friday night with inedible carrots and brussel sprouts which were looked as if they had been cooked for hours on Saturday. The roast potatoes and new potatoes both nights were incredibly greasy and generally the food just didn't taste fresh. There was so much wastage, with people leaving platefuls of food everywhere, partly because they were eating too much and in part because it just wasn't very good quality. The dining rooms were noisy and loud, with the staff coming around with trollies to clear, it felt like a school canteen but worse. The porridge was delicious, but I'm not sure the sausage had seen much meat and the overall quality of the cooked breakfast seemed very poor, dried up mushrooms, very sloppy scrambled egg and dried up fried eggs. I went to the public loos three times.....each time, no toilet paper and not a single paper towel roll worked. The overall décor, I had originally laughed about when we visited before, but now it isn't just dated, there are holes in the walls, the loo door bolts have just been moved each time they have fallen off, so some are broken, soap containers shabbily put up and general disrepair everywhere. My friend fell over on the tennis court and hurt her mouth...I ran into the Spa to get some water and was asked to pay.....I begged to have some water and promised to return with the money (£1.30), which I did 10 mins later, only to discover the door to the spa was locked.....how would the people from the spa get out if there was an emergency......there are probably other fire doors in the spa, but most peoples reaction would be to run to the front door?
The ground between reception and the rooms where the little swimming pool is, is quite uneven. At night there were no lights, so it was quite hazardous walking back to the rooms, especially with so many men around who had been drinking. The bar at 6.30p.m on Saturday night was full of people eager to get their free cocktails...I managed to get a late massage with the lovely Pippa (the best part of the holiday!!!) and was in the waiting room on my own. An incredibly drunk man came in and started pestering me, when I tried to stop him, he became very pushy and angry. I felt incredibly unsafe as I was on my own and there was only one way in and one way out. I eventually managed to get away when he went to the toilet, but after my treatment, he was left alone in the bar asleep on a table....it was only 7.45p.m, but to be honest there were a lot of people who had been drinking quite heavily. These were just some of the problems encountered over the holiday, there were more, but I just cant get my head around how somewhere could change so much. It was obvious that some of the larger groups were having a wonderful time, but it felt very uncomfortable for those of us who had just come away on a relaxing break. I can only put it down the fact that perhaps we were unfortunate. I would not want to bring my children back if the hotel was dominated by large male groups who enjoy a few too many drinks. I can live with basic accommodation, but delicious high quality fresh local ingredient's shouldn't be difficult to deliver....in a reasonable dining room? I am not sure if we could really come back. In most of the reviews, there is this acceptance of the shabby 1970's feel, which gives it a kind of quaint feel, but I do feel it has lost it's family warmth and that there is no sense of customer service over and above piling on the low quality food and drink to keep everyone happy

4  Thank LouissmithLondon
Reviewed 18 November 2013

You certainly won't be stuck for things to do at the Manor House hotel. We only stayed for three nights and spent most of the time playing golf so did't get to experience most of the facilities. The golf courses were brilliant considering the time of year with free buggy hire and a choice of courses. The accomodation itself is a little dated but with so much to do the room was really just used for sleeping. The food was very good and the service was excellent. If the accomodation itself was a bit more up to date I would have rated this break as 5 star. If you are looking for luxury this might not be the place for you but if your looking for top class facilities and friendly staff I would highly recommend this hotel. Excellent value for money.

Reviewed 7 November 2013

Stayed for 3 nights at the Ashbury with my wife and two kids at the end of November and had a lovely time. The kids (15 and 12) has their own room which they loved. The rooms are dated but were clean and comfortable and I slept like a log every night. The food was good and there was plenty of it! The serving staff were very good. The only bone of contention I had was that we were seated in the same dining room as two large groups of 30 men who were well behaved but generated a lot of noise. That said, tables were made available in another dining room for the subsequent meals. The facilities at the Ashbury are not as varied as at the Manor (which where we spent most of our time during the day) but the Ashbury was definitely calmer. We never got bored as there was just so much to do and it costs a fraction of what 4 nights at Centreparcs would have cost by the time you factor in paying for food and activities. We will definitely be going back and soon.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Travelodge Okehampton Whiddon Down
Lifton Hall Hotel
Lifton Hall Hotel
#1 of 2 in Lifton

Been to The Ashbury Hotel? Share your experiences!