“Great place for golfers”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Ashbury Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Fowley Cross
The Ashbury Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Fowley Cross
Gosport, United Kingdom
“Great place for golfers”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

Had a great stay here for the weekend With 7 friends , good value for money and the golf facilities are good , could not fault the food , plenty of choice from a buffet breakfast , buffet lunch and salad bar plus a 3/4 course meal in the evening , the activities in the evening are endless with plenty to do , my only grumble was that the decor was in need of a update in the bar/ restaurant area , rooms were of a comfy standard , I think they have just had a new jacuzzi / sauna area built which was just fantastic to unwind in. Overall a great stay for my first time and shall be returning next year to defend my trophy !

Stayed July 2014
ManorAshbury, Manager at The Ashbury Hotel, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Dear cloth77,

Thank you for your feedback. Glad to read that you enjoyed the range and choice of food at all the meals. Bar and restaurant décor will get an upgrade in the quieter winter months and we are currently working on room improvements at both hotels. The Hydro Spa is a most popular facility, especially, for golfers to unwind after a hard day on the golf courses. We look forward to welcoming you and your friends back for your trophy defence.

With kind regards
Simon Brothers (Manager, Ashbury Hotel)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

Been going here every year since 1987. Back in the day when they had 2 courses, oakwood and ashbury. Cant fault the place for price. You get loads for your money. Yes the hotel is a bit dated, needs updating but it is a 2 star hotel. Golf is awsome. So many courses to choose from. Evening entertainment is great and the pools and spa are a great place to unwind. Just have a couple of suggestions to make. Firstly the food is good but its been the same every year. Roast lamb one night roast chicken the next. Why not have something else on offer like scampi, burgers fish or pie. This could work out cheaper for you. Secondly your courses are long and hard. You dont have any par 3s under 150 yards. Why not do what the americans do. Have 5 tee boxes varying in different lenghts. This way people can choose which lenght to play and how hard they want. Thirdly I would make it free buggies for every one. Some people choose not to have buggies and I can only think that it comes down to them being tight. You are on holiday for god sake and they are not that expensive any way. Just add about 5 pound per night and everyone gets a free buggie.that way you wont get held up cos people in front are slower than you.all in all this is a brilliant place to visit time and time again. Where else in England can you get alll they offer for this price. You will love this place.

Room Tip: In the manor hotel ask for above the dining room. You could be put else where and have a long walk e...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
ManorAshbury, Manager at The Ashbury Hotel, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear tommo0898,

Thank you for you feedback in regard to your recent stay with us at Ashbury. Also thank you for your repeat business over the last 26 years. We hope to welcome you back for many years to come. I was glad to read that you had enjoyed golf and facilities. In response to your other suggestions, I thank you for your feedback.

We try to change and improve the menus over the years and roasts are by far the most popular, with many guests complimenting us on the food range and quality. We feel that items like scampi and burgers may not be seen as the healthiest of choices.

I have come across the American golf idea that you have mentioned. It is known as “Tee it Forward”. This is simply changing the old format of tees that are based on gender and age to the idea that the tee colours represent the individual’s average driving distance. Thus golfers of varying ability will be playing their second shots from roughly the same place as well as hitting approach shots with more lofted (and more controllable) clubs. Trials in America have shown quicker rounds and golfers, on average scoring better and having more enjoyable rounds.

We have looked at this system and are monitoring what is going on in America. We must also remember that this format is really just for recreational rounds of golf. Those playing in any competition formats have the handicap system to level the playing field. It would be good to have other feedback from our golfing guests to see if this would be seen as popular or would they prefer the old way to continue in the sport.

As to the buggy pricing – We must remember that some golfers still wish to walk regardless of how inexpensive the buggies are. Also, we must take into account that not all our guests are golfers and a tariff increase to replace a buggy charge would not be fair on them.
Thank you again for your valuable feedback and I look forward to seeing you again on your return.

With kind regards
Simon Brothers
(Manager, Ashbury Hotel)
Guildford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

We recently spent 4 nights here and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. With my husband planning on playing golf every day, I had been attracted by the amount of craft activities on offer, however I was a little disappointed to find that there were only a few on offer at the Ashbury at limited times. Luckily I had a car with me, so drove up to The Manor (less than 5 minute drive away) and participated in the craft tuition there, but as I wanted to join my husband for lunch this did mean quite a bit of driving back and forth. The meals were excellent quality and there was a good variety, even as a non-gluten eater I had a good choice. Every member of staff we dealt with were pleasant and helpful, especially the craft tutors who were very patient!
If you are going to do craft, I would recommend speaking to someone before signing up to lots of classes, as I didn't realise some crafts required work after the advertised timeslots and really overstretched myself trying to fit everything in! e.g. class advertised 9 -11, but this was just the tutored time, and there would be a couple of hours required after this to complete your work on your own.
The rooms were slightly dated, however they were very clean and there was so much to do we hardly spent in time in there! We did find the beds quite uncomfortable, but not so bad that we couldn't sleep. (I will be taking my memory foam mattress topper the next time I go though!)
We are already planning to go again next year, but will probably stay at The Manor for easier access to the crafts and a larger Hydro Spa.

Room Tip: The Farmhouse rooms are very close to the bar and dining areas - good for quick access to meals, but...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Poole, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

Short break with partner (golfer) Very nice large room in Moorview .Clean .great shower .Tea /coffee making facilities. Meals : breakfast plenty of choice ,lunch time food was a little dreary . Evening meals good choice. Waiter/waitresses brilliant .
All staff were polite and helpful . Facilities of both spa ,s at Manor and Ashbury FANTASTIC ....Golf courses brilliant ..Golf shop and staff great .
Activities the best anywhere I have been. Archery ,table tennis ,too many to mention.. Rooms are dated but I would rather have the great facilities.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

Visited in a group of seven couples. The majority were golfers and all were impressed with the condition of the courses. Having buggies for £8 was great and the organization superb.Played four different courses and enjoyed them all. The other activities at the hotel were fun and we tried our hand at Bowls. Very impressed with the Hydro Spa and the treatments were good and reasonably priced. Some of the group went to the sister hotel The Manor House for potery and painting which all enjoyed. The food is generally good. They are catering for lots of people and it isn't faultless. Breakfast was good with cereals and porridge, juices and a full English buffet. The lunch had a good choice with salad bar and several main choices. The waiter service in the evenings was good and the choices pretty reasonable. Salmon, cod and the roasts were favorites. They'll bring extra veg if you want it. Ran out of a couple of desserts but most of us were so full they didn't mind. They even offer a free bottle of wine on Sundays and Thursdays! Apart from drinks, buggies and spa treatments everything else was in the price. The rooms were 2 to 3 star but fine for the amount of time you spend in them and the showers were really powerful and hot. Had a great time with great weather with good company as well. Paid £55 per night and probably the best value resort I've been to. Would probably recommend the manor House for families and couples but we will be back sooner rather than later I hope.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

I booked this 3 night break with my son because we both love playing golf ( though neither very good) and I'd stayed at Manor House with my wife 2 years ago which we'd thoroughly enjoyed. I had seen rooms here at the special offer price of £50 p. person p night. As a retired person this was an offer too good to miss. It helped that the weather was ideal. We were able to play a round of golf on arrival day and departure day. We hired buggies for just £8 round ( very reasonable compared to most golf courses) which was great fun. We also managed to fit in countless games of snooker, some 10 pin bowling, badminton and used the new hydro pool. The food was great, varied and plenty of it ! ( The danger is overeating here )
Now for the -ves. The room F16 was down a long winding series of corridors. Infact the whole place is just a maze and even with a small map it was easy at first to take wrong turnings ! The was no air conditioning and as it was hot and humid I went straight back to reception to ask for a fan. I was pleased they duly found one ( I wondered how many others just suffer in silence). The room had a 'dated feel' to it but the twin beds and shower room were generally clean and tidy. It was a shame that the extractor vent in the shower room /toilet never worked though!! and the toilet door lock did not work properly. We had to have all the windows open at night and although it was quiet outside we could definitely hear an 'early night ' snorer next door ! Plus there seemed a strange smell rising from ground level ( possibly poor drainage ?) but it only bothered us if we leant out by the window. The snooker room , as with other facilities, could be booked in advance, which was just as well since in the evenings it was packed . This would have been ok apart from a regular crowd of 'men behaving badly' who seemed to be loud, inebriated and gathering around a table, cracking course jokes and playing for money. So to sum up, it was still great value for money/ The costs of daily meals alone would have justified the costs let alone all the free golf and facilities.

Room Tip: Enquire as to where rooms situated . Is it far from dining rooms or facilities ? Can a fan be provid...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Brian D
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

after returning a month ago after my 24th year I must say the golf courses were the best I have seen spot on , so a big thankyou to your green keepers they do a fantastic job keeping them in good nick with the amount of golf played . also cannot fault the hotel food nicely cooked and plenty of it , staff all friendly and helpful as usual , the facilitys are second to none , the value of the four days we spend here each year is top draw roll on the next 24 years see you next may .. paul d .

Room Tip: farmhouse rooms are quieter
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Ilsington Country House Hotel
The White Hart Hotel
The White Hart Hotel
#2 of 4 in Okehampton

Been to The Ashbury Hotel? Share your experiences!