“Great value!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Manor House Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Fowley Cross
Manor House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Fowley Cross
Hertfordshire
“Great value!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2013

This is now the fourth time we've visited this hotel and have already booked for next year. It offers clean and comfortable rooms with plentiful and tasty meals and loads of different activities and crafts to occupy you. Most people don't really leave the hotel as there is so much to do. It caters for all ages and most things are under cover so you don't have to worry about the weather. Yes the rooms are old fashioned but that doesn't bother me at all as I'm an old fashioned girl. The only problem we had was with an extremely large group of men and boys who were there on some sort of 'rugby tour'. They were quite noisy and drank a lot and one afternoon completely took over the swimming pool closing it to the rest of us. I would like to see a ban on such a large group of people as they did tend to 'take over' especially at nights. Apart from that we had a very enjoyable time and the weather was great for a change. Golfers enjoy this holiday as there are four free golf courses.

Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
Guildford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2013

We celebrated our 70th birthdays at Manor House with 11 of our family ages ranging form forty five to two.
There are so many great things to say about this hotel that caters for all ages. Pleasing the younger generation is challenging but everyone had a fun in their own way. I spent every morning in the sparkling clean swimming area with my grandchildren. Although the hotel was full we had the whole pool area to ourselves. The family enjoyed various crafts and were well pleased with the results of their labours. These included woodwork, enamelling and painting but there were many others. The golfers in the family really enjoyed the challenging courses at the Ashbury Hotel for no additional cost.
We all found the appetising meals in the large dining room very enjoyable. Free wine on Sundays and Thursdays was a welcome bonus. Staff were helpful and friendly. Nothing was too much trouble.

My negative comments about this unique place are all around the hotel accommodation. This is a recurring theme when I read comments from other guests and I wish that the owner would take them on board. On entering the main lobby you notice Atrex cream painted walls and loud carpets everywhere. This is repeated throughout the accommodation blocks whether they are old or new. The carpet changes colour but the patterned theme continues. It is particularly so in the bar and lounge areas where bright lights contribute to the unpleasantness. We found the rooms spotlessly clean but old fashioned in the extreme. We asked for a room change the day after arrival as we found two flights of stairs and narrow corridors oppressive. We were moved courteously to a more modern block where we felt more comfortable. We found that space in family rooms was very limited.

We will come again as many guests do because the activities here are second to none. There is a happy family atmosphere about the whole place that is very British. Many families come year on year often many hours drive away. We met a Space Scientist and his family from Belgium and others that had formed friendships here at the Manor and now come as a party. Over the Bank holiday weekend the age range was young. It rose sharply after all the schoolchildren left.

Room Tip: If you have older children there are separate adjoining rooms available. Check room when you arrive...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2013

I stayed at this hotel for the first time in May 2013 on an extended bank holiday weekend golf break with friends. I have to admit that I was more interested in the golfing experience than the quality of the hotel or the other facilities on offer and I write from that point of view.

If you are looking for a modern 5* room and hotel facilities, don't stay here. The hotel itself is crying out for somebody with a few £m to spare to give it a good facelift, something it looks as if it hasn't had since about the mid-1960's.

However - this is by a country mile the best value golf break that I've experienced. For £330 per head we got 4 nights accommodation, breakfast lunch and dinner thrown in (with free wine on two of our nights) and 5 rounds of golf with buggy hire. The only extra expenses were the bar bill, which was reasonable considering that the hotel effectively has a captive market, and the fuel bill, which was also reasonable as four of us travelled in one car and shared the cost. The golf is based at the Ashbury Hotel, which is about a five minute drive away. There are lots of other sporting and craft opportunities on offer, but I didn't try any of them, so can't comment on them.

OK, the decor was jaded, we had an ancient 12" CRT telly with 5 channels and no remote control in our room, and the rambling layout of the place can be a bit confusing. However, the room was spotlessly clean, the shower was brilliant, the food was great and plentiful - and the golf, enhanced by rare sunny bank holiday weather, was splendid. The only "complaint" I would register is that the single duvet on my bed was a bit small and thin, which meant I woke up a couple of times as I was cold.

For me, this was a 4* holiday due to the superb value and golf. I suppose that if the owners spent lots of £££ on modernising the hotel fabric the prices would have to go up accordingly. I think they've got a keen eye on their market and have got things about right.

Would I go back? I've already put down a deposit for the golf society 2014 May bank holiday weekend. Might take my own blanket next year ...

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Peterborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2013

My husband is registered disabled and we spent a a week at the end of April 2013 ( Sunday to Sunday) enjoying all the amenities this hotel and The Asbury Golf hotel offered. There were 6 of us in total 5 adults and a child under 4. We used one of the disabled scooters that the Hotel loans ( deposit needed) to disabled guest. These are on a first come first served basis so ask when booking. We had one of the 7 accessible rooms which has a wet room and is large enough to take the scooter.These rooms also have a door directly out onto or near a patio area near to a swimming pool. These doors are lockable and easy for disabled people to use. I understand that a bed can be removed if you need more space, that didn't happen for us but we managed. We participated in various sports that the hotel offers and the 3 men played golf every day. The rest of us enjoyed all sorts of sports. There are also many crafts to do but not being crafty we stayed with the sports. We did have a few issues at the golf and how it affects you if you are disabled, but we did get that sorted out and since then I have contacted the hotel and the general manager "Andy" who has been brilliant has addressed these issues which will make registered disabled people who play golf much more accomodated and understood. My advice is that if you have a problem don't winge about it on trip advisor afterwards but ask at the time and certainly at The Manor we had a few niggles and they were adressed and sorted out. They have accessible routes and maps and every area of the Hotel is accessible. The disabled changing room in the main pool with slides is great, roomy and directly onto poolside. It also has a shower. The staff certainly help any guest that is disabled. I have read many comments about the food. I can only say we found the food to be excellent, there is so much of everything at breakfast, lunch and dinner. Lots of it , loads of choice and extremely well presented. I have also read that food seems to be used the next day if any is left from the day before. Well yes you can see evidence of this but all the food looks fresh and tasted great and I suppose if everything was thrown away and started again then most of us couldn't afford the prices that we would be charged. I found it no different from any hotel that has an all inclusive menu. They accomodated our 3 year old by cooking other things for him if he wanted it and the staff were friendly and efficient. You really would have to be an extrememly fussy eater to not find something you liked. The bedrooms are a bit dated and everyone says that but they are extremely clean and I don't spend much time in mine when I am on holiday I like to use the amenities and there are these in abundance. Our 3 year old loved the pools the fun house and other introductions to sports he normally wouldn't be able to do. The 3 men in our party loved the golf, the courses, the variety and the challenge the courses brought for them. Booking the tee times was a little difficult but if we go again then I think we would book those early. Plenty of buggies available. Cetainly I would reccomend anyone to go and if you are disabled go for it it offers you a wonderful break or holiday and above all if you have a problem with anything then ask at the time, don't winge afterwards.

Room Tip: You can't pre book rooms unless you are disabled and even then you don't get to pick.
New Milton, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2013

We spent 3 nights during the Easter school holidays, with our son (11) and daughter(13). Both thought it was fab! There's no pressure to join in activities but you can't help yourself. So much choice! Our family room was quiet, clean and had a great view. Food was good traditional british fayre, aiming to please most people. It's a two-star hotel so don't expect gastro-pub cuisine. The facilities are all well maintained and clean.

We will be back! Goodbye over-priced Centreparcs!

Room Tip: The family rooms are nice and quiet although further to walk....
3 Thank Roslyn P
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2013

2 adults, 2 boys aged 9 and 6. Never bored. Never hungry. Loads to do and try (tennis, mini tennis, badminton, dodgeball, shooting, swimming, flumes, mini golf, pedal go karts, ten pin bowling, sauna, fun house, games room). Great food (yummy puddings). Clean rooms. All inclusive - hire equipment. We didn't have time to try any craft activities or go out walking. It rained all week but that didn't spoil our fun at all. Would certainly recommend as long as you realise that you're paying for the activities (and all inclusive food) not a luxurious hotel. We will certainly go back.

2 Thank madonna03
Shepperton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2013

We came here as part of a family group for the brother-in-laws 50th and did have a pretty good time There is plenty to do if you like craft stuff but I would say that there is not so much for the little ones in terms of craft and activity. Ours were 5 and under and apart from a few fun rooms there was little for them to get involved with, although they just loved being on holiday somewhere new anyway. It would be better for older children.

Food: the breakfasts and the lunches were good as you could help yourself and there was plenty to choose. The real disappointment was the evening meals which were like poor school dinners; the vegetables were overcooked and the quality of the meat left a lot to desired. If you like Bernard Matthews turkey rolls then you will love it. The staff were all young and, whilst I have no compalints about youth, it did feel like it was their first night and had never served before. Some were good and wanted to help you and were friendly whilst others stood around and chatted to their mates. A little mixed.

The rooms were very tired and dated; our one was also small as we had just enough room to walk round the bed but not much else. WHat did make us laugh was the TV; it had a built in VCR. I told you it was dated and that about sums it up. Beds were comfy though.

Overall the whole place felt a little tired and jaded and in need of a lift but if you like the craft stuff then there is enough to keep you occupied. The food also leaves a lot to be desired but is inclusive and the place is cheap so you pay what you get for; it is still good value despite my comments.

Whilst I won't be going back to the Manor, I would go to their sister hotel, the Ashbury for the golf. They are really well organised and I was incredibly surprised at how good the courses were They have got this sewn up and I would recommend them to any society.

1 Thank Prophet9963
Gidleigh Park Hotel
#1 of 2 in Chagford
Ilsington Country House Hotel
The Oxenham Arms Hotel & Restaurant

Been to Manor House Hotel? Share your experiences!