“Perfection”
Review of Commodore Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Instow
Commodore Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Instow
Cornwall
“Perfection”
Reviewed 8 November 2013

Friends of ours like this beautifully-appointed hotel so much that they have been back twice. With their recommendation together with our impression of the hotel's website, we were hoping for something special. What we experienced was even better: spotless accommodation; extreme comfort; superb food; excellent staff. Perfection!

Room Tip: We loved our ground-floor Marine room.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank S J K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Reviewed 31 October 2013

The hotel is one that caters for the over 90s market, its dated interior and bedrooms are testimony to that. The room one stayed in, whilst had pleasant views across the water was simply awful. The bed was two singles pushed together to form a double, although, clearly, given that the two beds were individually dressed, a double was never the intended case. The bedding sheets were the type I would expect to see in my grandmother’s house, and not in fitting with the modern hotel accommodation one should expect to see in the 21st century. The in-house brochure boasts of a “colour “TV, now, “colour” TV’s have been around for thirty plus years. Again, this is reflective of the hotel’s target age group. The bathroom failed to live up to expectation, and a stand in bath shower experience was not the best.
With some small changes the room could be brought into the modern age, maybe some local photography on the walls, removing one of the arm chairs, new lamp shades, a simple white duvet cover, a neutral paint scheme and curtains – just some simple things that the modern traveler appreciates. I would recommend that the owners look to some hotels outside the area to see how to present rooms to business travelers. A trouser press does not constitute modern technology. Would one stay in this hotel again, highly doubtful. Would one recommend this hotel, no, although, that said, finding a good hotel in North Devon is like looking for a needle in a local hay stack. The Commodore and many of the other hotels should remember that there are travelers to this region that don’t necessarily come on a Wallace Arnold coach.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
5 Thank Hugo198
Jersey
Reviewed 30 October 2013 via mobile

This hotel has an amazing location, right on the sea front; it's clean and tidy but could do with some updating.
The style of the hotel is very old fashioned, very chintz and brocade. They say it's 'unsuitable' for children under 10; I couldn't see why that could be as it's structure is no different to most hotels but maybe they just don't want children around? That's a shame, given the location. They state that they're a family run hotel but clearly don't want families with younger children?
My room was tucked away at the back so I had no sea view; thats fine, I have one at home but it didn't seem very full so I did wonder why. The room was a decent size but had a lot of built in consoles and seats, supplemented by two small chairs, which made it feel a bit cluttered.
The main console only had one single electrical socket available; this had to supply the table lamp, the kettle, the hair dryer and my assorted phone and other chargers. I spent a lot of my time swapping things over. There was one other socket in the room but it was on the floor, near the hall so not much use.
My main dislike was the bed; it's been a long time since I've had to sleep with scratchy woollen blankets and a counterpane and I hope it's a long time til the next. Being used to a duvet for many years now, the weight of them felt oppressive and I really didn't get a good nights sleep.
I won't be returning, though the location is perfect for my regular business trips to this area; I felt it was overpriced and I was generally disappointed. Most of the staff were friendly but a couple seemed slightly dour.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Linda1892
Pershore, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 October 2013

We stayed for the weekend and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The staff were very friendly and put themselves out for the guests. The hotel is in excellent condition throughout and kept very clean. Our room was facing the river which gave a lovely view both during the day and at night when the lights from Appledor across the estuary could be seen. It is a very quiet location with plenty of walks and interesting places to visit. I would have no hesitation in recomending this hotel.

Room Tip: A room overlooking the estuary
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 October 2013

This was a planned long weekend break for my wife and I, to celebrate our wedding anniversary and to visit a friend of my wife, who resides in Bideford. We have visited the area on many occasions and it has always been our ambition to visit and stay at the Commodore Hotel. Needless to say we were not disappointed, with the views of the estuary from our sea-facing bedroom with balcony, being the highlight. The gardens were colourful for this time of the year and very neat and tidy. Every member of staff gave excellent service and the food served at breakfast and dinner was of the highest quality and content. Our four night stay was made all the more enjoyable by the friendliness of the staff at all levels. I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Any sea-facing room.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ALAN S
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 October 2013 via mobile

My wife and I have just returned from a very good three night break at this delightful hotel. We had room 5 which is sea facing with a large balcony overlooking the well tended gardens, the beech and river beyond. The village of Instow sits at the point where the river Torridge and the river Taw meet and flow into the sea at a point between Westward Ho! and Saunton. The area is wonderful for walks beside the sea and the rivers, the bird life is abundant. During our stay the weather was unseasonable warm and cloud free so we could watch the rising sun from behind us, lighting up the white painted houses of Appledore across the river. I mention the walks as some exercise is necessary to walk off the terrific breakfasts and dinners that are served in the hotel. All the staff were friendly and efficient, the reception rooms were as spotless as our bedroom and bathroom. I would highly recommend this hotel and the little village of Instow. We will definitely be returning.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Petex10
Ringwood
Reviewed 7 October 2013

We stayed in this delightful hotel for the weekend 4 - 6 October. The rooms were comfortable and the boating pictures throughout the hotel highlighted the past sailing and boat-building history of the area.

Nearby places to visit:
Appledore,
Westward Ho
Bideford
Barnstable

The food in the hotel was excellent. We had a served breakfast each morning and the dinner choice in the evening was very good. Afternoon tea, with mouthwatering fruit scones and clotted cream, was also something not to be missed.
The staff were friendly and most helpful.
There was plenty of parking space
A well stocked bar was available and more or less open at any time for hotel guests.

Will we be back? Oh definitely. In fact we were in a party of some 13 couples from the Bournemouth area and we have already booked for a similar time next year and we will be staying for 3 rather than 2 days.

Room Tip: There are many rooms facing the harbour and sea.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank CliffRingwood
Also consider these accommodations in or near Instow
Yeoldon House Hotel
#4 of 11 in Bideford
Saunton Sands Hotel
Saunton Sands Hotel
#1 of 4 in Braunton

Been to Commodore Hotel? Share your experiences!