“Afternoon Tea”
Review of Commodore Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Instow
Commodore Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Instow
Warwick, United Kingdom
“Afternoon Tea”
Reviewed 12 November 2013 via mobile

Lovely walk on Instow beach and my wife I decided to live it up a bit and go to the Commodore Hotel for a posh afternoon tea. They have a nice area reserved for serving teas to non residents
The waitress was chatting to a couple and did not acknowledge us when we entered.
I went to the washroom and my wife sat down and waited.
Not once did the waitress acknowledge her, I returned and the waitress left the room. We were not even offered a menu. We will not to return. Shame as it looks a lovely place

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
6 Thank JameseyIAJ

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Sidmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 November 2013

that was how we were greeted some 15 years ago by mr bruce woolaway sadly no longer with us. the standards in all respects have never waivered in our opinion. now mr gary and mr james look after your every need. the food is of top quality locally sourced and wonderfully cooked and presented. trust us we have just returned from a few days.wish it could have been longer thanks gary james and of course Sharon.....

Room Tip: always have a sea view magical sunsets and general views
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 10 November 2013

9 of us had a 2 night stay at the Commodore. We were celebrating a 90th birthday and our party included 2 over 90 and a further member of our party was in a wheelchair. Not the easiest of groups to look after. The staff at the Commodore were excellent. The hotel is perfectly set up to look after people with mobility issues and seemed to anticipate all our requirements. Its location neat to the front at Instow made it easy for the elderly and infirm to get out into the fresh air without a major performance.
The food at both dinner and breakfast was excellent - fresh and well presented and service was at all times accommodating and prompt. Well done - we were not the easiest of groups.

Room Tip: Ground floor overlooking the estuary are excellent
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank GerryMal
Cornwall
Reviewed 8 November 2013

Friends of ours like this beautifully-appointed hotel so much that they have been back twice. With their recommendation together with our impression of the hotel's website, we were hoping for something special. What we experienced was even better: spotless accommodation; extreme comfort; superb food; excellent staff. Perfection!

Room Tip: We loved our ground-floor Marine room.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank S J K
Reviewed 31 October 2013

The hotel is one that caters for the over 90s market, its dated interior and bedrooms are testimony to that. The room one stayed in, whilst had pleasant views across the water was simply awful. The bed was two singles pushed together to form a double, although, clearly, given that the two beds were individually dressed, a double was never the intended case. The bedding sheets were the type I would expect to see in my grandmother’s house, and not in fitting with the modern hotel accommodation one should expect to see in the 21st century. The in-house brochure boasts of a “colour “TV, now, “colour” TV’s have been around for thirty plus years. Again, this is reflective of the hotel’s target age group. The bathroom failed to live up to expectation, and a stand in bath shower experience was not the best.
With some small changes the room could be brought into the modern age, maybe some local photography on the walls, removing one of the arm chairs, new lamp shades, a simple white duvet cover, a neutral paint scheme and curtains – just some simple things that the modern traveler appreciates. I would recommend that the owners look to some hotels outside the area to see how to present rooms to business travelers. A trouser press does not constitute modern technology. Would one stay in this hotel again, highly doubtful. Would one recommend this hotel, no, although, that said, finding a good hotel in North Devon is like looking for a needle in a local hay stack. The Commodore and many of the other hotels should remember that there are travelers to this region that don’t necessarily come on a Wallace Arnold coach.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
5 Thank Hugo198
Jersey
Reviewed 30 October 2013 via mobile

This hotel has an amazing location, right on the sea front; it's clean and tidy but could do with some updating.
The style of the hotel is very old fashioned, very chintz and brocade. They say it's 'unsuitable' for children under 10; I couldn't see why that could be as it's structure is no different to most hotels but maybe they just don't want children around? That's a shame, given the location. They state that they're a family run hotel but clearly don't want families with younger children?
My room was tucked away at the back so I had no sea view; thats fine, I have one at home but it didn't seem very full so I did wonder why. The room was a decent size but had a lot of built in consoles and seats, supplemented by two small chairs, which made it feel a bit cluttered.
The main console only had one single electrical socket available; this had to supply the table lamp, the kettle, the hair dryer and my assorted phone and other chargers. I spent a lot of my time swapping things over. There was one other socket in the room but it was on the floor, near the hall so not much use.
My main dislike was the bed; it's been a long time since I've had to sleep with scratchy woollen blankets and a counterpane and I hope it's a long time til the next. Being used to a duvet for many years now, the weight of them felt oppressive and I really didn't get a good nights sleep.
I won't be returning, though the location is perfect for my regular business trips to this area; I felt it was overpriced and I was generally disappointed. Most of the staff were friendly but a couple seemed slightly dour.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Linda1892
Pershore, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 October 2013

We stayed for the weekend and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The staff were very friendly and put themselves out for the guests. The hotel is in excellent condition throughout and kept very clean. Our room was facing the river which gave a lovely view both during the day and at night when the lights from Appledor across the estuary could be seen. It is a very quiet location with plenty of walks and interesting places to visit. I would have no hesitation in recomending this hotel.

Room Tip: A room overlooking the estuary
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Instow
Yeoldon House Hotel
#7 of 11 in Bideford
Orchard Hill Hotel
Orchard Hill Hotel
#4 of 11 in Bideford

Been to Commodore Hotel? Share your experiences!