“Peaceful gardens”

Tapeley Park Gardens
Ranked #3 of 4 things to do in Instow
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Tapeley invites you to do something different today… Tapeley Park gardens is one of North Devon’s best kept secrets. Explore the unique gardens and enchanted woods with centuries’ old trees and lake that’s home to dragonflies and kingfishers. Play croquet on the lawn, stroll to the labyrinth for one of North Devon’s finest coastal views, learn about Tapeley’s history and sustainability projects or just find a quiet corner to sit and listen to the birdsong…
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase
Birmingham, United Kingdom
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“Peaceful gardens”
Reviewed 6 August 2013

The big drawback to this visit was the lack of signage. Surely they could produce a simple map of the grounds, I found it a very confusing place to get around which is a pity.

It's a long walk down to the lake and all uphill coming back !

Not much colour in the gardens which I found disappointing.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Margaret2910

Cornwall
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Lovely place to visit”
Reviewed 2 August 2013

My daughter and I have been visiting Tapeley for a number of years now and for the last two have had annual passes so we can visit when we wanted to when we visited North Devon on holiday. We have now moved into the area so intend to visit even more often. The house is not open simply because it is a family home. The views from the car park and the monument are fantastic. The gardens are well kept but not regimented, so we consider them to be more natural than some of the formal gardens we have visited, which we like. The food in the café is lovely and fresh, using a lot of home grown food. There is plenty to see, including the lake and the permaculture garden, as well as the "formal" gardens and the kitchen garden. You could spend a whole day just sitting and relaxing in the peace and quiet. We find that the car park can be quite full, but sometimes you hardly see anyone. The welcome from the lady in the shop is always friendly, and she will always point you in the right direction about where to go and what to see. I would recommend a visit with hesitation.

Visited August 2013
2 Thank ginnysky
Sheffield
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Well worth a visit”
Reviewed 24 July 2013

Lovely well tended but not overly organised gardens - very peaceful place with great views. Nice tea shop using food grown in the gardens. We visited on a gloriously sunny day which was a bonus - certainly a fair weather attraction.

Poole, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“will not recommend”
Reviewed 21 July 2013

The brown tourist sign has a house on the signage.I've voiced my opinions with the Tourist Board that it should have a garden sign not a house sign if it is only the gardens we are to visit.(even though on the admittance ticket it states house and garden).My mother and I only visited Tapeley park to support a local attraction and even though we immediately felt unwelcomed we went in with an open mind.Gardens were in part barren,no colour and large parts were out of bounds!In the tea room the cakes were so tightly packed with clingfilm you would have lost all the topping when you removed the clingfilm.You couldn't even have a picnic in the car park area either(where the best views were!)When I asked about a map of the garden(seeing other visitors with maps)I was told we can tell you the areas of the garden.In future my mother and I will only visit National Trust gadens/homes.Trading standards spring to mind!

5 Thank teenie2
Sheffield, United Kingdom
56 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 62 helpful votes
“Stunning !!!”
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Please don't miss this, We met friends from Sommerset who drove over to Devon to meet us on holiday, They had seen this on TV it is stunning, absolutely beautiful gardens, and the food in the tea room is gorgeous too :))))

3 Thank citychick-11