“Good views”

Tapeley Park Gardens
Ranked #3 of 4 things to do in Instow
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Tapeley invites you to do something different today… Tapeley Park gardens is one of North Devon’s best kept secrets. Explore the unique gardens and enchanted woods with centuries’ old trees and lake that’s home to dragonflies and kingfishers. Play croquet on the lawn, stroll to the labyrinth for one of North Devon’s finest coastal views, learn about Tapeley’s history and sustainability projects or just find a quiet corner to sit and listen to the birdsong…
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Lovely views from Tapeley park gardens over the estuary. Good walk around and good tearoom. Staff very friendly

Reviewed 16 June 2014

We visited Tapeley Park on a beautiful sunny day whilst on holiday in Cornwall. We drove for about an hour from where we were staying but it was well worth it when we got there, the views from the car park are stunning across the bay. The entrance fee is very reasonable and the lady in the shop is very helpful, my Mum who needs to use a stick when walking was given some good advice of which paths were suitable and those not, unfortunately we were not able to make the lake walk but never mind, the Italian garden more than made up for it. The lawns were perfect with lovely borders full of seasonal flowers and shrubs, there are plenty of seats to rest and admire the views too which is welcome on a hot sunny day. The tea room is a lovely place to stop for something to eat and drink with seating inside,or on a lovely day like we had, sit at the tables on the lawn, really the only way to enjoy afternoon tea.......

Chickens, ducks, bantams and a rather large turkey are kept on the park, well fenced in I might add, and we were talking to the young man who owns them and he told us of the day a fox got in and ran amok through the pen, hence they are more secure now!!! This is a lovely place for children to see the birds up close, some chicks were only three weeks old and so small.

There's much to see at Tapeley and a visit to the history room is a must, the house has a long and varied past which makes interesting reading so take the time to stop there and try and take it all in.

It looks as though there's much to do, but like all gardens they are an ongoing project. Not sure what's going on with the house, it was once very grand by the look of it but sadly needs a lot of renovation. Perhaps there are plans for that, should have asked!!!

Don't be put off at all if you're undecided about visiting, it really is worth it and for such a modest entry fee, enjoy as we did.

4  Thank cymraes191267
Reviewed 31 May 2014

On holiday with the family, I took time out for myself this morning, and I was very glad I did.

I walked a couple of miles up to Tapeley Park along the Tarka Train from Instow, and it was pure pleasure, the track up to the house 3/4 of a mile long, flanked by beautiful flowers and greenery, with increasingly beautiful views of the surrounding area as I rose the hill.

Once through the ticket office/shop (served by a delightful lady) I made my way through some very pretty Italian gardens, then up to the kitchen gardens (spring is late though there were lots of flourshing plants especially in the greenhouse), meeting some very warm and friendly folk on site as I walked, all of whom were ready to share their knowledge and chat with me about the progress of their planting.

Information could be viewed around the gardens telling histories of the small buildings etc, and there were many points of interest all around the site. I was particularly interested in the eco house built from straw bales and really enjoyed seeing so many chickens/geese/a big fat happy turkey roaming in such a huge space.

I had tea and a yummy granola bar in the cafe, enjoying a chat with the girl serving and impressed with her choice of radio station (there is only one BBC 6 Music). She recommended the Permaculture Garden, which I wasn't going to look around due to the afternoon's plans, but I was SO glad I did.......

The whole site exudes peace, is a complete delight, and I will definitely visit again.

Thanks Tapeley Park Gardens!

2  Thank Claudine C
Reviewed 11 May 2014

The Italian garden is beautiful and well maintained. The house which is closed is in dreadful disrepair. You can see the remnants of blinds and curtains falling apart at the windows. The stonework is in very poor repair too. This is marketed as a showpiece of sustainability but all I saw was part completed projects that were no more sustainable than a 4 litre Volvo estate. There was one gardener at work in the permaculture patch which seemed somewhat ironic. Ashtrays everywhere overflowing with roll up butts and hippies spouting vile language at every corner made our stay very short indeed. What a shame as the house and grounds could and should be a thing of great beauty to be nurtured for future generations not just to be anused by the current (presumably rent free and jobless) occupants

Reviewed 18 April 2014

Visited Tapeley Park Gardens today in glorious sunshine and what a treat it was. We were welcomed in the shop by a delightful lady to pay our very reasonable entry fee. The setting is breath taking with glorious views across to Appledore and out to sea, we all commented that we could have been anywhere in the Mediterranean . We then spent the next 3 hours leisurely strolling around the beautifully set out gardens and other places of interest. We had lunch in the café which was jolly tasty and again reasonably priced and sat on the lawn eating and listening to the bird song. Looking forward to going again very soon, infact I think I will buy a season ticket!!