“Fantastic/Amazing/Excellent ... can't really say any more!”
Review of The Old Bakery

The Old Bakery
Ranked #1 of 68 Restaurants in Kingsbridge
Price range: US$7 - US$41
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Spanish, Bar, Cafe
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 4 April 2014

Took my best friend here for her birthday along with 4 others and had an amazing time! Although we were a bunch of noisy 17 year olds, we were welcomed with open arms and treated like adults. Absolutely delicious food with a varied menu to choose from, so everyone was happy and had exactly what they wanted. Juliet and her team are extremely efficient and lovely and even though there was a full restaurant, we did not have to wait and had brilliant service. Relaxed, no stress atmosphere. Only worked out as £20 per head and we had 15 dishes, 6 puds (which were to die for!) and 6 drinks - very high value for money! Can't recommend this place enough - they certainly haven't seen the last of us!

JulietDevon, Owner at The Old Bakery, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Dear Stephanie

Thank you so much for taking the time to review us. So glad you all had a lovely time......

You were all a delight to have here and we think,it's important to make older teens feel grown up and would encourage them to come out for a "posh" dinner!

See you again soon.

Kind regards

Juliet.

There are newer reviews for The Old Bakery

Reviewed 29 March 2014

As 2 vegetarians it is sometimes hard to get great food when on holiday and to have a choice of delicious food even more difficult to get! This is both a magical tapas type restaurant for vegetarians and meat eaters alike.

We had a great meal although ordered far too much so sadly did it get to try the puddings!

We enjoyed patas aoli, Spanish peppers, baked mushrooms, beetroot and bean salad and the most yummy baba ganoush. All fabulous.

We will be back!
Alan and Elizabeth wadebridge

Dear Alan & Elizabeth

Thank you for you rave review! Will remembers you visit and was so please you were delighted with your vegetarian dishes......the menu is about a third vegetarian, but not by design, it's just that Mediterranean food is not always heavily meat or fish based.

Really glad we helped make your holiday eating experience even better.

Kind regards

Juliet.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

The Old Bakery in Kingsbridge Devon is a beautifully adorned warm and friendly Tapas / Meze restaurant tucked away in the heart of town near the harbour side. The staff here are really lovely and the chef is a star. The dishes are beautifully cooked and presented with regularly changing specials.
The lunch time Spuntini deal is a winner for £10 choose from veggie, meat or fish plate of delicious treats and have it in the court yard in the sun or tucked away in a romantic corner. In the evening the place lights up and is beautiful with lots of choice of areas according to your party size. Go with a group and try everything to share and be sure to ask for wine recommendations from highly knowledgable staff. This is surely one of the best restaurants in the the South Hams.

Dear Conrad

Thank you very much for your thoughtful and lovely review......I'd go based on what you say here!

Many thanks

Juliet

Reviewed 5 March 2014

This is a lovely little tapas spot - great for parties/couples/girls' nights out. It's usually lively and nicely buzzy - there are lots of lovely little rooms to eat in and a cute little courtyard in the middle for sunny days or smoking if you prefer. There's also some nice sofas or bar stools to just sit and have a drink. There is a great range of tapas (chicken livers and sobrasada being some of my favourites) and some fab specials every day. The staff are helpful and welcoming and there is generally a lovely vibe from once you get in the door. Definitely one of my favourite spots for a night out in Kngsbridge!

Reviewed 22 February 2014

We came here very hungry,after a`walk 3.15,all that was on offer was cake [one choice].When I asked I was told chef needed some time off] yes I understand that I told her as my son is a chef.But one choice of cake 3.15 [next door is a costa] come on you can do better tea cakes,filled roll,The upstairs seating was relaxing and fresh tea but to charge £10.00 for pot of tea and 2 pieces of cake for 2 well its a bit steep?????

2  Thank sheilacn
JulietDevon, Owner at The Old Bakery, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Hello, yes I remember your visit. I had just sent my rather tired, pregnant chef home after a very busy lunch service. We do close the kitchen for just 3 hours a day I'm afraid as everything is cooked from scratch and it all takes time to prepare. We offer breakfast, lunch and supper 6 days a week so I'm terribly sorry your visit happened to coincide with that short window of time.
I believe I offered you the first 6 or 7 things on the menu as is my standard practice - those are the items that do not require me turning on ovens and char grills (we do not own a microwave).
You opted for tea and cake. I'm sorry you thought this expensive ....the cake was made that morning and the tea is organic loose leaf.....sure, you might have paid less in the other place you name, but it would have a 2 week shelf life, come in a vac pack and have been made in Reading!