“Unusual but friendly sensibly managed campsite”

Parkland Caravan and Camping Site
St Bees-RobinsHood Bay
“Unusual but friendly sensibly managed campsite”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

With much improved facilities since we last stayed here two years ago, we found this site to be a great base from which to walk the Coastal Path, using Kingsbridge, just a mile away, as our transport hub.

The large field provides lots of space and views, with generous sized , fully serviced, hard standing pitches for motorhomes/ caravans. Showers are excellent with loads of hot water and a choice of new blocks, plus a good washing up room, though there are some bits of decoration detail to be completed.

Although the new shop is not always manned, we had no trouble in finding the manager when we needed to, and he was friendly helpful and informative at all times. We enjoyed staying at this slightly unusual, less regimented, laid back place and will be happy to .return

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We have stayed here 3 times last year and have just stayed Easter 2014 making it our 4th time staying on this site we have found it very clean with the owner James and
his wife Tracey being more then helpful and polite just what you need if looking for a quite very well keep site now booking for August 2014 5th return to such a great site .
BIG THANK-YOU to James and Tracey for all your help .

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 April 2014

My friend makes use of this campsite and whilst being in the area, I thought I'd pay him a visit. As this campsite has no designated parking area, I used my initiative and tried to park out of the way of other vehicles.

After parking up safely I was just about to get out when the owner came charging over while flailing his arms about shouting at me in front of other site users to get off his grass and to 'use some common sense'. He very rudely and aggressively told me to go and park somewhere else. When I asked him where I was supposed to park because I would be blocking off other vehicles, he rudely pointed out to park on another site user's pitch. I did as commanded by a now very red faced and agitated owner hoping not to fall out with the person on whose pitch I just parked.

As a result of my very negative experience I have not been back to this site and am warning all my friends and hopefully now some more people via these means that you might be treated in a very bad way.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
6 Thank Trent R
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Outstanding site!! Cleanliness and facilities were great. The kids could go and play in the on site park and they also made friends with all the other children on site. The shop was very handy and reasonably priced.

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Stayed over the bank holiday weekend, the site was busy but we expected that, our tent pitch was quite near the road that goes past, but after we set up we didnt really notice it - I think the kids where making more noise than the traffic as they soom made friends with the neighbouring tents. Good facilities - always clean, other than once when I went to use a shower room just after someone else and left (i didnt have the courage to call them back to clean up the mess theyhad left!) I have read the previous reviews and I really dont understand some of the comments. James and the lady (sorry cant remember name) made us very welcome, and were always on site and in the shop - we had an issue about parkng our car (large people carrier) but was easily sorted.

Others mention rubbish being a problem, we bought our bag and left in the place as explained - 2 mins later it was gone. It is strange though to pay for waste disposal and i guess you have to trust that the explaniation about recycling is correct.

We missed the deadline of 10 oclock one night and found the gate closed - not a problem, plenty of parking at least for 8 cars (lucky I had the site map in my bag so I knew where to park)

We really enjoyed our stay, even though it was very busy, great atmosphere, good facilities, friendly owner - will certainly return

Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Never before have I camped on a site where the owner has had such a blatant disregard for his campers. By his own admission, James is not interested in repeat business.

At the point of booking you are asked to provide the size of your tent/caravan, however, no though seems to go into where you are to set up, so consequently tents and caravans are packed in very tightly. The only area in which to park your car is in front of your pitch meaning that there is very little space for children to play.

Wash up facilities are at best ‘snug’, the same could be said for the shower facilities – the exception being the family shower room, but these are fraught with their own issues, poor draining and lack of hot water.

Rubbish can only be disposed of onsite via the use of a green bin bag that need to be purchased at the site shop for £1.00. When full, bags are stacked in the narrow corridor next to the showers. Whilst I commend any environmental decision behind this, I would have expected a dedicated facility for disposal.

If all sites were to the standard of Parkland then I would pack up my tent and put it into long term storage, I would refuse to sell it for fear that someone else would end up staying at Parkland.

9 Thank SeasonedCamper2013
Reviewed 26 August 2013 via mobile

Location is good for getting about but road noise is a bit annoying if your near the road. ( build ya banks up!!!)
Clean nice site. Owner so so
Very good kids play area, shame it's not more central in the site
Flat, well kept, clean site.
Bit cramped up together with the tents. No allowance for space to park the car. Unless you pre plan and "stake ya claim"
Free electric. Very reasonable on price
After all said and done will use again.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Mattruf
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kingsbridge
Thurlestone Hotel
#2 of 32 in Kingsbridge
Sand Pebbles Hotel
Sand Pebbles Hotel
#3 of 4 in Hope Cove

Been to Parkland Caravan and Camping Site? Share your experiences!