“superb family experience”

Ranked #15 of 66 Restaurants in Kingsbridge
Price range: US$5 - US$17
Good for: View
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: A great view, fantastic service, comfortable surroundings and above all family friendly food.
Frizington, United Kingdom
“superb family experience”
Reviewed 11 March 2014

A family get together was made perfect with a beautiful coastal walk ending with a roast Sunday lunch at the Gara Rock. 8 of us, including 1 vegetarian booked the set roast and arrived slightly late (we phoned ahead-no problem, very understanding), the setting is amazing, wonderful sea views and our reserved table was large and provided a good vantage point. The 7 non vegetarians enjoyed a meal comprising 3! roast chickens and generous portions of superb roast vegetables, it was absolutely delicious. The vegetarian nut roast was reportedly first rate as well. Service was friendly and helpful and the meal was completed by a wonderful range of hot and cold puddings, served with a choice of ice creams or clotted cream. The total price per head for this was £15, which we all considered to be a bargain. I would unreservedly recommend the Gara Rock to all.

• Visited March 2014

Reading, United Kingdom
“Perfect Location”
Reviewed 28 February 2014

Came here on a walk with the dogs and what a perfect location! Great views and lovely cakes! A great array of food and they have great facilities for dog walking. Definitely a nice pitstop!
(Only suggestion is that the seating area would be better located nearer to have better views - they're beautiful and too good not to make the most of)

Worthing, United Kingdom
“No Afternoon Tea!”
Reviewed 26 February 2014 via mobile

Agree a beautiful spot. We walked here, the longest way too. Round on the beach as far as we could then cutting up and taking the lower tidal path as the tide came in. (Don't take upper tidal path, very steep! ) And what kept me going was the amazing full afternoon tea I'd had the previous visit. It was the best tea is ever had. To get there to find it wasn't on the menu and that the menu was quite limited and they run out of a lot of it.
In the end I had my Partner's chips and some of my mum's cream tea. As unfortunately there was nothing else I fancied at 2:30 in the afternoon.
I'll probably return again and hope the afternoon tea has too.
At the moment I'll just have to look at the pictures of it, to remind me of it's amazing-ness

2 Thank emluca123
Chagford, United Kingdom
“I can't wait to return”
Reviewed 14 February 2014

Living in the West Country we are blessed with many scenic locations, but never have I seen such a truly fabulous and breath taking setting. Gara Rock is a magical spot! The restaurant was a welcoming/unique venue with the tastiest Sausage Roll & Cous Cous salad. If you are holidaying in the South Hams - this is a most! It even has self-catering holiday cottages & apartments to rent through Helpful Holidays. I can't wait to return in the summer.

2 Thank Nat H
Exeter, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Brilliant spot, relaxed menu, truly wonderful food.”
Reviewed 13 February 2014

Whilst there was a lull in the storms, blue skies and ever changing light - the coastal views from the huge glass walled restaurant were wonderfully dramatic today - it is a unique spot). We opted for the work bench lunches - a choice of lovely pies, quiches, some really imaginative and tasty winter salads (lentil, couscous, winter slaw - you help yourself to what you fancy) and the most delicious homemade bread. The menu is simple but the food is fabulous. The atmosphere was relaxed and genuinely friendly, perfect for walkers and storm watchers. The prices far more reasonable than I remember. We will most certainly be back.

1 Thank DoodleG