“Don't drink there !!”

Price range: US$20 - US$61
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Fine-dining, Brasserie style, or hearty pub-classics, find delicious food to suit every occasion from our 3 different restaurant areas at the Arundell Arms. All use fresh produce from local suppliers and all are led by Head Chef, Steven Pidgeon - internationally recognised for modern British cuisine and 1 of only 80 Master Chefs in Great Britain. This year we celebrate 20 consecutive years holding the AA 2 Rosette find dining award. We are also proud to be winners of the Taste of the West Gold award
Reviewed 21 January 2012

Prebooked for a special dinner treat in the restaurant. Upon arrival, we were told our booking was not in the book. We ordered drinks while we waited. There was no Merlot so we chose the Shiraz. Then watched as the barmaid poured the dregs of two nearly empty wine bottles into a glass before topping it up. Even worse, for the only beer that appeared to be on tap, the tap was dry. So we watched again as the pint of beer was dispensed (in a cupboard behind the bar) by tipping some sort of container into the glass. Needless to say, the wine was off and the beer flat and cloudy. Even the drinking water at the table smelt like a swimming pool (lots of added chlorine). Altogether, a nice meal totally spoiled by the drinks we were served!

foxy1307, Owner at Arundell Arms Hotel Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2012

I am pleased that you thought that the food was good when you ate with us but of course sorry that you did not enjoy the drink side of our service.
We have Jail Ale from Dartmoor Brewery gravity-served from small barrels at the rear of the hotel bar. We also offer 2 real ales, 3 lagers and 2 ciders all on tap from our adjacent pub which we are happy to serve to you in the hotel bar.

The current house wines are delivered in screw top bottles which means they remain fresh and without corking. When you came we had just had a very busy couple of days and had just run out of our house Shiraz.. It was replenished the next day.

We serve either bottled water or tap water at the table. You requested a jug of tap water the clorination of which is in the hands of Southwest Water.

I wish that you had said something at the time as we would have gladly replaced any of your drinks free of charge.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

There are newer reviews for Arundell Arms Hotel Restaurant

Reviewed 9 January 2012

An excellent meal in the attractively refurbished dining room. Although the restaurant was very busy, the staff were warm, welcoming and attentive. The food was attractively presented and tasty.

Reviewed 5 January 2012

I have been eating here regularly (I live locally) for the past 12 years and have yet to be disappointed. Whilst the prices are high, so is the quality and I feel that in Devon/Cornwall you really get what you pay for in terms of dining out. The bar food is very good and dog/child friendly and the dining room is light, tastefully decorated and serves lovely food. The staff are pleasant and helpful and the facilities are spotless. In the summer months the garden is a delight and a pretty place to enjoy a drink or meal. Highly recommended.

3  Thank anne t
foxy1307, Owner at Arundell Arms Hotel Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2012

Thank you for your kind review. I have already passed it on to the Arundell team as it is great for them to get positive feedback for their hard work.

I am pleased that you like the new decoration scheme for the Restaurant and enjoying eating in the garden in the summer months.

Reviewed 12 October 2011

Just for the evening to dine in the restaurant... However, I was impressed enough to enquire for accommodation for another time. Made to feel welcome from start to Finnish. Although at 30% capacity you got the feeling they could manage whatever the demand (within reason as in my experience some people ask the impossible).

1  Thank Robsan12
Reviewed 13 August 2011

We went to the Arundell for lunch this afternoon - myself, OH and mother in law.

We'd chosen it as it was a place we'd passed several times and participated in the Taste Card scheme, meaning we would get 50% off.

First impressions were good. It's a very quaint village hotel and the reception and bar area were charming and well decorated. Not too chintzy but in keeping with the historic surroundings.

As we had a long drive ahead, we'd made a very early 12:30 reservation. Unsurprisingly we were the only people in the dining room. I thought it might fill up nearer 1pm, but no, it was just us!

Our waiter was friendly and helpful and gave us a nice table overlooking the (lovely) garden.

We opted for the set menu - 2 courses for £19 or 3 for £24. Now, these aren't prices I would normally pay, especially for lunch.

However, our cunning Taste card meant that a toe curling £24 for lunch was a reasonable £12. Bargain.

One of my only criticisms is that for prices like that I would expect to have more choice than just 2 starters and 2 main options (none of which were suitable for veggies).

Luckily the options suited and the we made our choices. Ahead of our meal arriving our waiter brought out some delicious breads - 3 different varieties - which were still warm. Delicious.

When our food came it was delicious, well presented and reasonably portioned. I was worried on appearance of the rather large starter (smooth chicken liver paté with red onion marmalade & toasted brioche) that attempting 2 courses for lunch was foolish (especially as I was feeling somewhat delicate due to too much vino the night before - oops!) But I was relieved to see the main (pork tenderloin, summer veg and peppercorn sauce) was a sensible size.

It was all incredibly tasty, the baby carrots and sauce in particular. The meat was moist and full of flavour. A nice touch was the first page of the menu given up to detailing the provenance of the ingredients. Great when you're in a part of the country that has such high quality produce.

So to sum up, great food and beautiful surroundings. Perfect for special occasions. However, if you're paying full price it would have to be a very special occasion.

Also want to point out in case the owners read their reviews that we didn't leave a tip as we had to go down to the hotel reception to pay, rather than at the table. The pdq didn't prompt for gratuity and at that point it felt odd to return to the restaurant. It wasn't due to any problem with service - which was fine.

2  Thank Applebanana23
foxy1307, Owner at Arundell Arms Hotel Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2011

I am very pleased that you enjoyed your lunch with us -and yes, I do read the TA reviews!
We are very proud of our local suppliers and work closely with them and that's why we put them in the front of the menu. We bake our own bread in house daily.

The Tastecard scheme has been successful and offers great value for off peak dining. I wish that we could offer lower prices across our menus however with VAT and utilities etc at the level they are, it just not possible to deliver the quality that we do at lower rates.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the restaurant soon.

Adam