“Looks good but.......”

Arundell Arms Hotel Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 8 Restaurants in Lifton
Price range: US$19 - US$58
Cuisines: Bar, British, European
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Fine-dining, Brasserie style, or hearty pub-classics, find delicious food to suit every occasion from our 3 different restaurant areas at the Arundell Arms. All use fresh produce from local suppliers and all are led by Head Chef, Steven Pidgeon - internationally recognised for modern British cuisine and 1 of only 80 Master Chefs in Great Britain. This year we celebrate 20 consecutive years holding the AA 2 Rosette find dining award. We are also proud to be winners of the Taste of the West Gold award
London, United Kingdom
“Looks good but.......”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

We decided to drive some distance to try this hotel for lunch. It had boasted of having several good right-ups and we were looking for a location for a lunch for between 10 and 15 people.
There is no doubt the hotel is large enough to accommodate that number and indeed they had a private room that would have been perfect.
We ordered from the set menu to test what the cooking was like and were somewhat disappointed. The chicken liver pate starter was mild in flavour and surrounded in a thick coating of unsalted butter. On the other hand the brioche that accompanied it was delicious. The fillet of fish I had was perfectly cooked but the sauce that accompanied it was bland and short of seasoning. For the main course the sole was buried in too much buttery vegetable and the confit of duck leg was well cooked but the vegetables that came with it were greasy and over cooked. I have made a point of detailing the dishes as the service from the young bar man and waitress could not be faulted. When we finished eating we asked to see the chef. We were told he was busy talking to suppliers and not able to come to see us. That may well have been the case but we felt even then he might have spent a moment or two helping us to decide if the location would have suited our planned party. The bill arrived structured without detail - just a list of figures. There was nothing wrong with the total after we spent time checking but why on earth is the bill not itemised for ease of checking.
The front of house staff seemed surprised that we were left feeling a bit aggrieved but were apologetic. Over all we felt the hotel was punching a bit above its weight and although it seems to have been awarded several awards in recent years we were left with the feeling they could try harder to please their clientele.

Visited June 2014
6 Thank 2Panda2

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Bodmin, United Kingdom
“ilya besoin d'un Sommelier.....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

I had early dinner in the bar and was well cared for by the young and enthusiastic staff. I chose a bottle of Aloxe Corton 2009 to go with my Sirloin steak, and found it to be thin, without much body or Burgundian character - in fact a total disappointment. The staff were sympathetic ( most of them had an educational taste as well) and gave me a generous discount as compensation. May I suggest much more care to be taken in making up the wine list and a constant check on the veracity of what is being served. When paying nearly £50 for what is supposed to be a fine wine, one should avoid any disappointment - apart from the thing being corked, which is aways allowed for. As for the food, I started with chicken liver pate on Brioche - which was served warm and ready buttered, and I found this to be far too fatty to compliment what was, in fact, a very good pate. Parhaps a choice of something like water biscuit might be a suitable alternative? Apart from that, all else was up to a good standard, and it was such a pity that I couldn't award an "excellent". Maybe next time. ( I hope!!)

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Jonathan S
Truro, United Kingdom
“We'll make a point of coming back”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

Three of us had a very nice meal indeed. I started with excellent scallops which, whilst not the best I have ever had were not far off, so a great start. I followed that with turbot served with more scallops and a variety of small vegetables in a tasty sauce and the fish was cooked to perfection. My wife and son both enjoyed their meals too. I noticed that they had a comment on the wine list telling us that the 2010 Sancerre was one of the best they had ever tasted - trouble is the one on offer was 2012 so one could have interpreted that as meaning “so we kept it and gave you the rubbish 2012 instead”. The lady dealt with my comments very professionally and actually the 2012 was also one of the best Sancerres I have ever tasted and in many ways I enjoyed it more that a lot of NZ sauvignons which seem to have become the benchmark in recent years. All in all a great meal and we had a bar meal the next lunchtime – hake fillet with (yes you've guessed it) a scallop on top in a sauce with shrimp and white beans - served with bread not vegetables. Again the fish was perfect. It was not a hearty meal, nor at £12.50 was it a bargain but it was just right for us folks who had an hour in between fly fishing lessons (which were great too by the way).

Visited May 2014
3 Thank StuartH475
Salisbury, United Kingdom
“OK”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

We ate in the pub end. The place was pretty busy with locals drinking but not eating. The atmosphere was fine and welcoming.

The food was perfectly acceptable with nothing to complain about or praise. Straightforward pub grub at pub prices.

• Visited May 2014
3 Thank tim252
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Lovely food and highly recommend the flight of wines”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

We visited this hotel on an offer through travelzoo, which was extremely good value for money. If we'd paid full price, we would probably grade this a 4 as it would not be such good value for money. The hotel itself was very nice and the rooms spacious and with everything you needed. The major positive was the food, which was exceptional. We ordered the flight of wines with the taster menu. This gave a good opportunity to try new wines which were selected to go well with each course. Definitely somewhere we'll go back to.

Visited February 2014