“Exquisite cottage-style B&B”

Tinhay Mill Guesthouse
Ranked #1 of 2 Lifton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 March 2014

A lovely couple run this quaint ancient B&B. Its a quirky building with sloping-floored bedrooms, winding narrow staircases, a magnificent fireplace that you walk round to get to the breakfast room. A beautiful place to stay in. Fabulous breakfast. Worth stopping off here for a night and while they no longer serve dinner, within walking distance is a great pub (Lifton Hall Hotel) and the sensational Arundell Arms Hotel for dinner

Room Tip: There's a king-size bedroom on the ground floor if you can't use stairs
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tror
BlackbearDevon, Owner at Tinhay Mill Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2014

Thank you for your very kind comments Paul and I are so pleased you enjoyed your experience with us at Tinhay Mill Guest House.

We would like to tell future Guest who want to stay at Tinhay Mill from the end of May 2014 (Bank Holiday) it is our intention to offer optional Evening Meal/Dinner for our Guest.

Warm Regards

Margaret

Reviewed 17 October 2013

The Tinhay is advertised by three booking agencies – EXPEDIA, HOTELS.COM and LASTMINUTE.COM as having a restaurant (for evening meals) and bar – IT DOES NOT - and has not had these facilities for some considerable time. As booking agencies these people have a duty to their customers to ensure that the details of the establishments on their lists are correct and they should regularly contact the owners, say every three months, to obtain updates on the facilities etcetera.

I booked through Hotels.com and having had a long drive from North Wales to Lifton was looking forward to a meal and a drink, at the ‘hotel’, only to find, to my horror, that neither were available as the Tinhay is a B&B. I had to walk (8 minutes minimum) to a pub/hotel to get this. Yes I could have driven but I wanted a drink…

My advice to travellers – read the details the booking agencies give, then call/e-mail the establishment to ensure they are correct. Quite often you will get a better rate booking direct!!
The Proprietor, Margaret, is a lovely lady and was obviously upset that I had been misinformed (although their Web site and e-mail addresses state ‘restaurant’). I’m sure she will take steps to rectify things.

The Tinhay is a nice place in which to stay and if I’m in the area again I would definitely go back there. It is clean and comfortable and the breakfast was lovely!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 September 2013

For the fifth year my wife and I have returned to our favourite 'home from home' for a week of relaxation, good food and excellent company.
We have tried other accomodation around the country when travelling but this is the only choice for our holiday.
Margaret and Paul are two of the nicest people you could wish to meet and so welcoming no matter whether this is your first or one hundred and first visit.
We have come to regard them as friends and their property as home. Nothing is too much trouble and I mean nothing!
If you think that you've experienced the best visit Tinhay and you'll realise that you haven't lived.
Until next year, thankyou Margaret and Paul for sharing your home with us and making our stay such a relaxing and fulfilled experience.

Room Tip: This one's easy, they're all great. Room 5 is on the ground floor if you find stairs a prob...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 September 2013

I think the title sums up the Tinhay Mill. I do not think that I have been anywhere that has been so immaculately presented. Our room was large and spotlessly clean. The whole place had a wonderful feel and you knew that maximum effort has been put into pretty well everything. The breakfast is top class,Paul and Margaret are perfect hosts and I would not hesitate in recommending this B&B to anyone.

Room Tip: The rear rooms have a lovely view over Pauls garden.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 September 2013

My husband, son and myself had a wonderful one night stay with Margaret and Paul at Tinhay Mill as the location was ideal for our visit to the Westcountry Wildlife Centre the next day. Everything was perfect: our rooms, the breakfast, advice on where to eat in the evening and attention to detail with regards to absolutely everything - even down to the plug socket halfway up the wall next to the desk - not too much bending for us 'oldies'. You both must have worked so hard to make Tinhay Mill such a special, welcoming 'home' for your guests. Thank you both so much and we hope to see you again. Carol, Ian and Tony Lowe

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 August 2013

On arrival at Tinhay Mill, our party of five were made to feel very welcome by Margaret. The rooms were spotlessly clean, comfortable and spacious. The guesthouse has lots of character and it is maintained to an extremely high standard. The breakfast was excellent and we were particularly impressed with the high standard of service. Margaret and Paul were really friendly, helpful and patient, especially with our elderly grandmother. We would definitely recommend this guesthouse!

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 July 2013

On a touring holiday around Devon and Cornwall, we chose Tinhay because of it's location being central to both coasts. We thought it would be alright for the two nights planned. In fact it was much more than "alright", it was superb! Margaret and her husband welcomed us to their long established and charming guest house like old friends. We had a very generously sized room with maybe the "World's Biggest Bed" which was well decorated, nicely furnished, quiet, a balcony overlooking the rear garden and with all one could need..including fast and very hot water....not something one should take for granted these days!.

Margaret is a fully trained and long experienced chef as Tinhay was a full time restaurant but now I understand is mainly a guest house..what this means is a special breakfast with the best of everything served in the style and with the panache of a really good restaurant....you will not get a greasy "Full English" fry up here but instead the same thing with care, delicacy and style.

On a practical level, it is beside a (now) very quiet road close to the main A30) and has good, private, level parking. The gardens are filled with flowers and everything is clean and bright.

Your welcome is warm and caring and you leave as friends wanting to come back. So, if you want to explore the more rarely seen areas of Devon and North Cornwall, do make this your "home" because you cannot do better!

Room Tip: I only saw one but it was very good indeed so I would think all were fine but this one at the back w...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple