“Best of the West”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mortehoe
North Morte Farm Caravan & Camping Park
Tavistock, United Kingdom
“Best of the West”
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Fabulous camp site. Been coming here for 16 years and never tire of it. Don't arrive late on Friday if its a good weekend forecast as it will probably be full - ring them first. Lots of choice of views and degrees of shelter from the wind, much of the site is sloping. If wind is forecast you will get a battering here, but when the weather is right, you won't find better.

Don't forget to peg out ALL your guylines with beefy pegs, even if it is sunny and calm when you arrive or you may come back to find your tent in Somerset!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank Amanda S

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I found this site online rather than being recommended, although I will be recommending to others as it is quite simply a stunning location which breaks from the normal 'camping field.' The camping area is extensive and very unique. Nestled not far back from the cliffs, the terrain is undulating and offers almost every pitch a unique view of the sea and the surrounding cliffs. I dont think I've ever stayed anywhere like it!
We camped in the low season (week after May half-term) and had much of the site to ourselves (or at least it felt like it). The facilities were excellent and well maintained although it should be noted that there is only one wash block for the whole camping field. For us this didn't matter as there were so few people on the site, but in peak season I could imagine it getting very busy. Furthermore, it's not located centrally within the field, so if you are unlucky enough to get a pitch quite far away you will have quite a walk on your hands... Conversely, if you pitch near the wash block, you may get lazy people DRIVING to the block thereby detracting slightly from the amazing views. This of course may not be the case - it certainly wasn't for us, but in peak times I could imagine it happening.
Generally I thought the pricing was on the high side, however I cannot really fault the site for the facilities or quality, and would be very happy to return myself, and to highly recommend to others.

Room Tip: Arrive early - the camping field does not have pre-marked pitches, so if you want a good spot, it pa...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Andrew M
nz
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Fantastic campsite .. easy going, gorgeous views, great facilities! The view of the sunset was beautiful. Good recycling facilities. Whole place was clean and tidy and very organised .. lots of fantastic places to pitch up a tent!
Thankyou :)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Haylz38
Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I love this campsite after friends with local knowledge told me it is the best one in the South West. I agree and have been back a few times each year since. The site is beautifully maintained and spacious and has room for you to pick an interesting spot. We favour being down by the path to Rockham Beach (although it is currently closed which is a bit of a pain). The facilities are great and the showers warm and changing area clean and spacious - it can get busy in the morning rush at times but is always full of lovely people. I love sitting in front of the tent calming my mind looking out to the sea and the skies above. The night sky is not polluted with light so it is a great spot to take our telescope and look at the planets. The site has a little shop - we discovered some rather yummy, fresh croissants on our most recent visit and the fish and chip van drives up on a Saturday. With that and my stash of cider cans I never even had to leave the site. If you do venture out then it is a short walk to the village of Morthoe which has three pubs and a few shops and there is a great cliff walk down to Woolacoombe if you want a little more exercise - just remember there is a big hill coming back :-)

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank Anna W
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 May 2014

My friend introduced me to this gem of a campsite a couple of years ago. The site itself is set back from the cliffs of Mortehoe along the edge of the coast and provides spectacular views and the perfect setting to explore.
The site itself is well equipped with modern facilities such as hot showers and washbasins in the very clean toiletblock. There is also an area for washing clothes and pots n pans.
The shop on site is very reasonable and sells most of the necessities you may need for your stay and the staff are very polite and helpful.
Most of the campers are families and couples and the well laid out camping fields are well kept and quiet. I would thoroughly recommend this site and have not seen better in the UK.
On a clear night at the right time of year you can even get an amazing view of the Milky Way!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank David F
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I have been to this caravan park many times as a little girl and wanted to take my young family to share my childhood experiences. It's still as relaxing and peaceful as I remembered.
The caravan was very clean. We asked for one of the beds to be removed in the twin room for our travel cot and hired a high chair which was adequately clean. The caravan lacked some what we thought essential kitchen utensils. The only other funny complaint was one of our lightbulbs popped in our van and I went down to reception to get another, I was asked to get the popped lightbulb to show the lady on reception! I was given a new one in return, so unless people have stolen the lightbulbs in the past I don't know.
Mortehoe and woolacombe are still as beautiful as I can remember and our little boy loved the whole experience of staying in a caravan and having the playgrounds really to himself.
Would definitely recommend staying here.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Kazmoo
Knysna
Reviewed 11 January 2014

This is the very best site I have come across in the uk. It is extremely well kept, with friendly and supportive staff and run by a great family team.
The accommodation is well presented and looked after, and all that you would want
The area is really beautiful with great walks and scenery plus woolacombe beach not far away
You really cannot go wrong here.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank bob n
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mortehoe
The Woolacombe Bay Hotel
#2 of 5 in Mortehoe
The Beach House
The Beach House
#11 of 15 in Woolacombe

Been to North Morte Farm Caravan & Camping Park? Share your experiences!