“Ladies night”

The Strand Cafe
Ranked #1 of 2 Dessert in Shaldon
Price range: US$7 - US$27
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Boutique cafe and bistro serving brunch, lunch and afternoon tea specialising in continental cuisine. The Strand Cafe specialises in barista coffees, loose leaf teas, homemade cakes and pastries and food prepared fresh every time. Beautiful beachside garden where customers can sit outside and enjoy the sun.
Reviewed 8 November 2013 via mobile

Lovely ladies night great company and lovely food as always , wine tasting went well with the knowledgable and fun sommelier thanks Joni & Chris

Reviewed 6 November 2013

I am currently putting myself through a long overdue but restrictive detox. The first seven days limited my food to non starchy green vegetables, peppers, bean sprouts, asparagus, salad (no tomato), avocado and up to two eggs per day. On day seven I was in a party of friends dining at Number One and I must admit that I was not looking forward to eating out!
I emailed the restaurant several days beforehand to explain my predicament and asked if they would be able to provide me with a green salad or similar and gave them the limited list of foods that I was allowed to eat. Immediately the response came back that it was not a problem and the chef had been advised.
I was expecting a green salad. Imagine my delight when I was spoiled and treated to not just a salad but an amuse bouche specifically prepared for me with appropriate ingredients, a delightful salad starter with ALL the salad items that I had listed for a starter followed by a delicious two egg omelette with peppers and a delightful side of shredded, fried and spiced bean sprouts.
All was served in a friendly way that made be feel welcome rather than a total nuisance and a fabulous evening was had by all. My husband and friends thoroughly enjoyed their more traditional meals - steaks were particularly good I am told.
How refreshing to receive such caring service and Chef has to be applauded for his innovative and interesting food. Can't say thank you enough and I very much look forward to returning when I will hopefully be able to enjoy some of the dishes from the menu!

Reviewed 9 October 2013

Stopped here for Lunch on the Saturday..Crab sandwich and Coffee..Nice fresh crab.

However the Breakfast the following morning not so good..
Full English ... minus the bacon? missed off my Plate had to prompt waitress the egg not cooked and when the bacon finally arrived it was tough inedible...Not the Best Full English I have had.. would not rate it Num 1 or Number 2 for that matter? the premises very nice clean and comfortable.

2  Thank BBBuffSouthampton
Reviewed 23 September 2013

We had dinner the other night, the food was very good indeed- a huge amount of detail went into each dish, all beautifully presented on specially chosen plates for each dish- not odd at all ! Yummy crab starter, tartare of salmon/scallop etc with a hint of coriander, rack of lamb- pink in the middle,etc etc, desserts to die for- all constructed with care and time- a clever chef. It was very quiet on the evening we went, which was a shame- be prepared to wait for your food, ( the amuse bouche was very welcome !) although we were fine, looking out to sea and the glorious full moon,the food however was worth the wait. Delightful and friendly owners too.

Reviewed 18 September 2013 via mobile

Service was really good but not overpowering, food was lovely but I'm not sure it warranted the relatively high prices. The plates were all different which seemed a bit odd? I enjoyed the evening and the food and would definitely return. Thank you!