“I was pleasantly surprised”
Review of Quince Honey Farm

Quince Honey Farm
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Get a Buzz from your holiday and take a trip to Quince Honey Farm. The family-run working honey farm has been producing quality honey since 1949 and has over 1000 hives deep in the North Devon countryside. Visit the world’s largest Honeybee exhibition; BeeWorld! The interesting displays and exhibits will teach you fun facts about the honeybee before you take a closer look inside the working hives. Nowhere in the world can you get so close to live bees without needing protective equipment! You may wish to take a guided tour or walk around at your own leisure. There is something happening every hour during the summer! Don’t miss out on the bee talks and beekeeping demos which gives you the opportunity to hold a frame of bees if you wish. There is a chance to make some beeswax candles and learn more about the different types of honey at one of the tasting sessions. New for 2017 is the ‘be a beekeeper experience’ which gives you the unique opportunity to work alongside a beekeeper learning more in depth about bees and the art of beekeeping. (You can sign up for this on the day). Any little bizzy bees won’t want to miss out on The Happy Bee play hive; the large indoor soft play area with nets and ropes to climb over. This is where you will also find the cafe offering homemade food and our special Devonshire cream teas with honey. There is an outdoor play and picnic area for when the sun is shining. Visit Critter cabin and meet some slithery friends at one of the daily critter encounters shows. Visit the honey farm shop to see the array of honey products on offer as well as beautiful handmade beeswax candles and skin care. Make a Bee-line for Quince Honey Farm
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Stairs / lift, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase, Activities for older children
Reviewed 28 April 2014

My 6 year old son wanted to visit and we had a great time. The best bit for my yound children was the huge soft play bit of course :-) They also have a creepy critters section where you can hold the insects at given times. I enjoyed the beekeeper talk upstairs in the museum and I bought georgeous honey in the shop. It is expensive if you are not interested in the talk or seeing the bee hives or if you have difficulty with stairs. The cafe was fine and reasonable with a good selection. I would have given Quince Honey Farm a 4/5 if it had wheelchair access.

Ruby M, Marketing at Quince Honey Farm, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Hello Emma,
We are happy to hear you enjoyed your visit to the farm, the soft play area is usually a hit with the younger ones. We are happy you enjoyed our talks as that is new for this year and so glad you purchased some yummy honey! Thank you for all your feedback, it's really appreciated.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

I visited the honey farm on Wednesday with my son and my elderly mother. First impressions were not good. The staff member working was miserable and could not be bothered to even crack a smile. My son has cerebral palsy and was greeted by a big set of wooden stairs to climb up to the bee exhibition. There appeared to be no sign of a lift or anyone to help, so I had to almost carry him up. I would have thought that by law they had to provide some accessibility to their displays. The extraction rooms and other exhibits you look down on were frankly disappointing, nothing happening and I doubt it has for a while. The interactive hives were ok, but nothing to set the world alight. The plastic sheep and other bits in the main exhibit were just plain naff. The decor is stuck in a time warp, and we didn't stay in the exhibit long. We went to the soft play area which was full of people and you couldn't really get to the ants exhibit or anything else as tables block the area. Nobody seems to follow any of the rules in the soft play and adults were in the children under 90cm play area! It was bedlam and We stayed five minutes and we left as it was so chaotic. The shop is ok, but maybe a little bit expensive for some things. We also went to the bee museum in the old building round the corner....a word of advice, don't bother. It isn't worth the walk. I would not visit this place again as I really think it needs a lot of work to make it a decent attraction.

Hello and thanks for taking the time to write a review, we are upset to hear you felt the staff were miserable, as customer service is very important to us and we don’t want to be giving that impression. The stairs can be an issue for some customers and we try our best to help, on this occasion I am unsure why there was no one there to help you and apologise for this.
We have a notice board in the shop and play area explaining what workshops will be active throughout the day, on odd occasions work is needed elsewhere such as in the fields beekeeping.
As we are primarily a working honey farm our exhibits hope to be educational whilst allowing you to get a closer look at the bees which is interesting for most as bees are very fascinating creatures.
Our play area has been very popular, allowing children to play whilst parents can sit and see everything going on, whilst enjoying a beverage from the cafe.
The museum building you are referring to is where you can see bee beard videos or live ones on certain dates as well as talks everyday which again were detailed on the notice boards around.
All feedback is important to us so again thank you.
QHF

Reviewed 23 April 2014

We were expecting to see the candles and face creams etc being made but it was just a small museum. My son enjoyed filling in the sheet walking round and the play area was good but expensive at £23

1  Thank Beccy R
Ruby M, Marketing at Quince Honey Farm, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Thank you for your review. We try to have the workshops running all day every day but unfortunately on the odd occasion there is no work due to beekeeping. We have a display in the shop explaining what will be happening in the honey farm on the day.
We are happy your son enjoyed filling in the booklet and hope he burnt off some steam in the play area.
Thank you! QHF

Reviewed 20 April 2014

I planned to come here today (Easter Sunday), as I knew it was going to be a wet and dull day. We were here quite late by the time we arrived (after 4pm), and after reading so many good reviews I was confident we would enjoy ourselves. How right I was. As soon as we went through to the soft play area there was a man with a snake, my daughter made a beeline (haha) for the man and held the snake, then we proceeded to the exhibition upstairs. My husband and daughter really enjoyed it, and my daughter was fascinated by the beehives as she has never seen bees in their hives before, we had a quiz to do as well. Well done for having the interactive touch screens so we could see videos of bees at work etc. We loved the one about the bees smothering the hornet and then "burning" it with the vibration of their bodies..fascinating! After an hour of making the most of the museum we headed for the cafe and had a drink while our daughter enjoyed the soft play..a really nice spacious area that's like others have said, nice and clean. Those that have said the museum is not worth the money, naff, boring etc obviously are not interested in bees in the first place, so from the offset they don't want to make an effort and read about them and there are things for the children up there..read them to your kids and get them interested if they can't read!! Surely that's money well spent! I live locally so am thinking of getting annual membership, as this can be a nice break even just for a few hours.

Thank you for your super feedback!
We are really happy to hear you had a fun time at Quince honey farm. We are glad you enjoyed both the play area and exhibition as we have added new exhibits.
Your feedback has brightened our day here and we hope you get an annual membership so you can pop back as soon as you can! We look forward to seeing you. (Check our Facebook for special events too)!
Many thanks! QHF :)

Reviewed 18 April 2014

My family and I visited recently and were told we had to pay for the museum even although we said we simply wanted to visit the café and soft play area. The honey museum is, without a doubt, a total rip off and waste of money and simply made us angry at having to pay £28 for 3 adults and 2 children just to wonder about an outdated, uninteresting and very bland cold couple of corridors upstairs before actually getting to the soft play area which is all we wanted to do in the first place. Once in the café, the coffee is terrible and the food isn't great. Its such a shame you cannot just go to the soft play area and pay a reasonable entry fee and have a half decent cup of coffee, as I'm sure this would attract many more people. We visited during Easter holidays and there were hardly any people there. There is no other competition in the area and the place should have been packed. It seems we aren't the only ones who consider this a rip off.

3  Thank Julie A

Many thanks for taking the time to write on trip advisor, we are disappointed to hear you didn’t enjoy your experience to Quince honey farm.
As we are primarily a working honey farm our main attraction is the exhibition and most our visitors pay to see the bees and find it educational yet interesting.
We are surprised you didn’t enjoy our beverages and food as we have had many compliments on the food and prices are very reasonable.
It seems you came on a quiet day so hopefully your children had free range in the play area and hope they enjoyed burning off some steam there at least.

Thanks again for taking the time to give feedback.