“Just perfect”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Thurlestone
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Just perfect”
Reviewed 29 November 2013

Everything about the Thurlestone is just so right. It's in a beautiful area with quaint thatched cottages lining the street as you make your way to this little piece of heaven and heaven you reach when you hit the most comfortable beds ever. I did offer to pay for one to take away,on learning how much is spent on them I declined for another day :) I like the fact that you can arrive early and make use of the amazing free Spa facilities...Just perfect!
The people who work here though make the experience that much more special. Nothing is too much trouble, always a friendly smile to be had and they seem to genuinely enjoy making your comfort Number 1 on their list. Food is amazing and if you get an opportunity to have a banter with the "Portuguese" head waiter you'll be smiling all evening... what a great amassador for a fantastic hotel. We will be back for more for sure ....Thank you Thurslestone !

Room Tip: If you can afford it choose the Premier sea view suites. They are at the far end of the hotel and h...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
JulieBaugh, Manager at Thurlestone Hotel, responded to this review, 9 March 2014
Dear Peter W,
Thank you so much for sharing your views with the TripAdvisor audience and I am delighted you enjoyed your recent visit. Certainly our staff try very hard to give you a comfortable and relaxing holiday and it is always nice to be appreciated!
I do hope you come for that return visit soon.
Best wishes, Julie Baugh, Hotel Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
Reviewed 26 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed here many times , never dissappointed, staff very welcoming , location and views , stunning plenty of facilities , spa and lovely pool , 9 hole golf course , tennis courts , food , imaginative and delicious , a very enjoyable stay ,

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Marie B,
It was so nice of you to write a review and I am very glad you continue to enjoy your visits. Looking forward to seeing you soon.
Sutton Coldfield, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 November 2013

We have visited this hotel 5 years in a row now, and have always had an excellent time. The location is superb, the food is incredible and the activities on offer are great. This is a great hotel to stay at for any type of family with good service and friendly staff. Overall amazing

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Lewis C,
Thank you so much for your review and I am so pleased you enjoy your holidays at the Thurlestone.
We look forward to seeing you next time.
Wiltshire
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Yes this is my third review of Thurlestone and yes it will say the same as all my others, but I feel that I have to point out the consistency of the service and quality which has driven us to return every year for the past 12 years.
A quick stop over for us in a premier sea view room, dinner, bed & breakfast on a Saturday night.
We arrived early and spent a couple of hours in the spa until our room was ready. The spa is lovely, most hotels who claim to have a spa actually just have a pool & a jacuzzi. I would like to point out that Thurlestone has a bonifide spa, far superior to most offerings from the usual 4* chain hotels.

Service, warm, welcoming, attentive, unpretentious. It's the attention to detail here that makes it really special. We also enjoyed meeting the new restaurant manager who was lovely, as are all the staff, new and old.

Bedroom, comfortable, clean, cozy,with luxurious beds and bedding and most importantly warm now we are into the minus figures.

Food, beautifully presented, high quality produce, cooked to perfection.

What more can I say, love you Thurlestone my favourite little hideaway, just keep doing what you do and don't ever change !

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank finedinerWiltshire
JulieBaugh, Manager at Thurlestone Hotel, responded to this review, 5 April 2014
Dear finedinerWiltshire,
It was fantastic to see a third review from you and I am absolutely delighted that you have continued to enjoy your visits over 12 years! I will make sure the staff see your remarks, too, it is so kind of you to mention them. Thank you for your continued support.
Looking forward to your next visit.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed for a few days in July. As a wheelchair user I find hotel facilities are often not suitable but this hotel has it absolutely right. The bathroom was even better than being at home. All parts of the building were wheelchair friendly and the food was lovely. I will definitely return.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
JulieBaugh, Manager at Thurlestone Hotel, responded to this review, 1 December 2013
Dear Sue F,
I am so glad you found it easy to manoeuvre around the hotel in your wheelchair. We do try and accommodate the special needs of our guests and, as you mention, we have been up-grading our bathrooms to include walk-in showers and other amenities to help you have a relaxing and pleasurable holiday.
Thank you for your review and we look forward to that return visit.
Exeter
Reviewed 5 November 2013

We stayed recently for two nights for our Honeymoon having got married in Cornwall. I have driven past the hotel many times when travelling to Thurlestone Golf Club and have always wanted to stay at the hotel.

I was quite late booking our honeymoon and I phoned a number of top rated hotels in the South West explaining that I was looking to book a honeymoon break for 2 nights with my new wife. It is not often that you phone half a dozen hotels up in a row but on this occasion I did and it served as an interesting exercise in how new customers are first introduced to the hotel. I can quite confidently report that the reception staff I spoke to at the Thurlestone Hotel were BY FAR the most informative and interested in taking our booking. We booked a dinner bed and breakfast package and they also arranged a spa voucher for my wife to enjoy some treatments at the Voyage Spa. On arrival the reception staff again were very helpful and informative and made us feel like they were genuinely interested in our very recent marriage. Our room was beautifully appointed and had stunning views across the bay. The hotel left a very welcome surprise in our room which was very kind and unexpected. We visited the impressive spa daily and enjoyed treatments from the very professional staff. The food deserves a separate review altogether. The food was fantastic. I had a beautiful steak on the first evening and an equally lovely chicken dish on our second night. We ate quite late each evening, after having some early evening drinks in the bar. The relaxed atmosphere in the dining room and attentive, knowledgeable staff made the whole experience very memorable.

I know we were likely to be seeing things slightly rose tinted after our wedding but I cannot temper my positivity. I have been fortunate enough to stay in many lovely hotels in the UK but they have definitely found a winning recipe here at the Thurelstone Hotel. Great service from well trained staff in stunning surroundings. The hotel was quiet when we stayed and I would hope that when busier the standards are retained.

I can't wait to go back, perhaps for our 1yr anniversary? :-)

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Casperexe
I am so pleased that you and your new wife enjoyed your 2-night honeymoon break with us and may I offer yet more congratulations and best wishes for your married life together. We will be thrilled if you choose to celebrate your anniversary with us, too! By the way, thank you for posting the three lovely photos with your review, too.
Ashby-de-la-Zouch, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 November 2013

A return visit to enjoy the half term break with my 8 year old niece who loves the events and activities arranged by the Danny the Dolphin Club team. I love it too because it gives me some time to enjoy treatments in the spa whilst she's off enjoying herself with newly made friends. The hotel remains excellent value for money, with top notch food & wine and exemplary service. We were blessed by a couple of sunny, if very windy, days so could stretch our legs along the beach and coastal path which made the dog very happy, too. I'm hard pressed to name another hotel of this quality that caters so well for children, adults and canine companions! I hope we'll be going back for many more years just like several of the guests we met this visit.

Room Tip: It has to be a room with a sea facing view and balcony!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Dear Sandra F,
We have made it a point over the years to make the hotel a welcoming and relaxing haven for all generations and I was particularly pleased that your young niece enjoyed the Half Term activities we laid on. Thank you for your lovely comments and we look forward to your next visit.
Best wishes, Julie Baugh, Hotel Director
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thurlestone
Salcombe Harbour Hotel & Spa
The Sun Bay Hotel
The Sun Bay Hotel
#2 of 4 in Hope Cove
Plantation House Hotel and Restaurant

Been to Thurlestone Hotel? Share your experiences!