“Not such great value for money”
Review of Thurlestone Hotel

Thurlestone Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Thurlestone
Exeter
“Not such great value for money”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Often called in for Afternoon Tea with family when staying locally or down visiting friends.
Today's visit just seem as if something is slipping - poor service, not very friendly, very expensive for the quality of food, and two mistakes made and neither corrected, despite staff being advised. Have previously have difficulty getting foreign staff to understand orders. Disappointing as have had some great times here, but not sure we will be returning again any more.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank James G
JulieBaugh, Manager at Thurlestone Hotel, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
Dear James G,
I was upset to read your review and very surprised at your comments. You will have noticed that we have recently refurbished our Lounge area and introduced a new Afternoon Tea service, which has proved very popular, so I was very disappointed to hear that you experienced ‘poor service’, especially since many of our staff have been with us for a number of years. I am so sorry you were dissatisfied and I really would like to get to the bottom of this, so I would welcome the opportunity to discuss the problems you encountered, if you would be kind enough to contact me.
I look forward to speaking to you.
Julie Baugh, Hotel Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
Somerset, UK
Reviewed 19 May 2014

My wife and I stayed at the hotel for some much needed R&R. We were only there 1 night but loved every minute of it and would definitely return. All of the staff we had contact with were friendly and professional and in particular I have to note the receptionist on duty on the Saturday afternoon who went out of her way to help when I needed to take my wife for a unplanned hospital check-up during the stay.

The food is delicious. We had lunch in the pub next door which I believe is part of the hotel, cream tea, dinner and breakfast. All using local produce and freshly made to order. The wine list is also good and there are some decent wines for reasonable prices.

It was very hot when we stayed and the views from our balcony over the sea were breathtaking, and we could have easily been in the South of France or Italy. Thurlestone is a village you can totally relax in and I know we will return again soon.

Room Tip: Ask for a free upgrade to a sea view room, if there's availability you will probably get lucky.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear JonP1979,
Thank you so much for your lovely review and I am delighted that you and your wife enjoyed your stay and left relaxed and revitalised – that’s what we aim for and it’s nice to hear!
We do hope to see you again soon.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 14 May 2014

We stayed here for 2 night for a family get-together this May. The facilities are extensive and excellent. The location is quite remote well away from the main roads and a healthy walk from the beaches. The dining room has great views across the golf course to the bay as do the South facing rooms. The food is excellent and the staff very friendly. If you are looking for a hotel with Spa, indoor and outdoor pool, golf course, sea views, excellent restaurant, well appointed rooms, tennis courts, squash court, gardens, children's play room and even a snooker table - this is the hotel for you. One point worth noting is that men need to wear a jacket in the dining room for dinner. Basil Forty might approve but this requirement does irritate some guests...

Room Tip: Sea views with Balcony rooms are very good with a table and chairs on most balconies as far as I cou...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear Granada100,
It was so nice of you to write a review and I am very glad you and your family had an enjoyable get-together. Thank you for all your nice comments. As for our ‘jackets at dinner’ request in the hotel restaurant, it is a constant subject of debate! Some guests do, of course, prefer to dress more casually and we are monitoring the situation constantly. However, we have decided, at present, to maintain this dress code at the request of the majority of our guests, who consider it adds to the ambience of their dining experience.
Once again, thank you, and we hope to see you all again soon.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2014

We stayed in April as a family of 4 and asked for a large family room. Ours had a king-sized bedroom plus a separate lounge with bunkbeds for the kids, which was great. All of us slept very well. The food is outstanding. We ate as a family in the early evening (7pm) and the waiting staff were great. In fact, all the staff we came across were charming. The pool is great, with clean and pleasant changing rooms. Some areas of the hotel have been refurbished and other areas are somewhat tired, hence the "Very Good " as opposed to "Excellent" rating. Make sure you book any spa treatments well in advance as it gets booke dup very quickly. We will return, but hopefully the hotel will have been given a facelift by then!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank wrightfamily0f4
Dear Wrightfamily,
Thank you very much for your review and I am delighted you and your family enjoyed your stay. Families receive a warm welcome at the Thurlestone and we have various facilities to make their holiday fun and relaxing including, as you mention, family rooms and children’s suppers. We have an on-going programme of refurbishment and have recently up-dated most areas of the hotel. I wonder if your comments refer to the conference and function room, which you may have used as a family since it is often the venue for children’s activities, table tennis, etc. This is the only area not to have been recently refurbished, but please bear with us, it is on the list and will be done soon.
We look forward to your return visit.
Reviewed 2 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed for two nights the staff were very friendly and the food was of excellent quality obviously locally sourced .We had a lovely full afternoon tea super cakes scones and sandwiches .The breakfast and dinner was of the same excellent quality . Our room had a great balcony with wonderful views over the bay and a huge bathroom with a large bath and separate walk in Shower . You can see why the same people come back time and again ! A particular mention for Peter who was most helpful and efficient throughout our stay .

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jonbarn
JulieBaugh, Manager at Thurlestone Hotel, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Dear jonbarn,
It was so kind of you to put your comments on Trip Advisor and I was very pleased to hear that you had a good time with us. I will make sure Peter sees this – he will be delighted to get a mention!
I do hope we might see you again in the future.
Ivybridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 March 2014

My wife and I have stayed at the Thurlestone on several occassions before for two night breaks.
On arrival this time we got there early (10.30) because my wife had booked a couple of spa treatments and although the spa was very busy the staff managed to fit her in at the last minute.
This is just typical of the standard of service that the Thurlestone staff offers.
On checking in we were informed that we had been upgraded (wiithout having to ask) and surprisingly our room was ready even though it shouldn't have been available until 2.00pm.
This set the tone for the entire of our stay.
The ongoing investment in the hotel and the adjoining pub is plain to see in respect of referbishment and upgrading. The pool and spa facilities are superb. As is the food, the room, the views and the whole feeling of escapism and being pampered is augmented by excellent service.
If you are looking for somewhere to relax and leave the hectic pace of life on hold for a while this is certainly worth a try. You won't be dissapointed.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Richard P,
Thank you so much for all your nice comments and I am so pleased you and your wife found your recent break relaxing. Our staff will always do their best to fit you in, whether it be a last-minute spa treatment or an early arrival, and I am glad we were able to do so in your case (although, obviously, it just isn’t possible all the time!). I am delighted you approve of our recent refurbishment of the Village Inn and the Hotel Lounge and I hope we will be seeing you both again soon.
Brixham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Went for a wonderful spa day at this hotel, there was five of us and we had had lots of relaxation and lots of laughs. On arrival we were greeted and shown around the spa, we all had a treatment each mine was a back and shoulder massage, was perfect. The spa consisted of a swimming pool, a hydro bath jacuzzi, a relaxation room, sauna and steam room. We had lunch there which I found expensive but expected from a four star hotel, the staff were all lovely and were very helpful. Later we had a cream tea which was included in our spa day price. The whole day was great, the hotel and gardens are beautiful and we are definatley planning to do it again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Dear 423karen1,
I am so glad you and your friends enjoyed one of our popular Spa Days. Ever since we opened the new Voyage Spa a couple of years ago, lots of people have booked up for one of these special relaxation and pampering days and I am delighted that you will be coming back for a repeat visit. We look forward to seeing you again.
Julie Baugh, Hotel Director
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thurlestone
Salcombe Harbour Hotel & Spa
Dart Marina Hotel and Spa
Lantern Lodge
Lantern Lodge
#3 of 4 in Hope Cove

Been to Thurlestone Hotel? Share your experiences!