Thurlestone Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Henley Hotel(Bigbury-on-Sea)
Lantern Lodge(Hope Cove)
View Hotel
The Cottage Hotel(Hope Cove)
  • Beachfront
Burgh Island Hotel(Burgh Island)
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
Soar Mill Cove Hotel(Malborough)
  • Breakfast included
Hazelwood House(Loddiswell)
View Hotel
All reviewsvillage innpar golf courseoutdoor poolsea viewtennis courtsthe pubfamily hotelcoastal walkssouth devonbunk bedsstunning locationlovely hotelsteam roommain restaurantsunday lunchpublic roomsexcellent facilities
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Three of us came to your hotel for Sunday lunch. Whilst the starter and dessert were fine the main course left a lot to be desired. Poached chicken, had no taste and also the risotto was flavourless, the roasted veg looked like they had been cremated. Now also you are charging for coffee afterwards which used to be included. It will be a long time before we come back.

Patrick and Waring

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Jan P
JulieBaugh, Manager at Thurlestone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2014

Dear Jan P
I was upset to hear that you and your friends did not enjoy your Sunday lunch and I am so sorry that we obviously got it wrong with your main courses on this occasion, although I was pleased to discover that your waitress did offer you an alternative dish after you had mentioned your disappointment to her. As far as coffee is concerned, we have indeed altered our policy here and, since April, we have offered a lower price two- or three-course Sunday lunch, with an extra charge for coffee and petit fours if required. We made this change in response to guests who did not wish to pay for coffees they did not want, and it has largely been a popular move.
I do hope that you might give us an opportunity to redeem ourselves on a future occasion.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

The hotel has the monopoly in terms of places to stay in the area, aside from B&B's (which is where I would stay next time). As such the hotel positions itself as a high quality venue in every way especially PRICE. In reality it is not, the only part of the hotel that is high quality is the spa - and it shows when compared to the rest of the hotel. I paid £345 per night for a family room - a double bed with a sofa bed. The shower was useless - a pipe connected to the bath taps, the hairdryer only worked if you held it in a certain way. The Broadband never worked at all during our 3 night stay, when we asked why, we were told "sorry the problem is out of our control" nothing else. Breakfast OK but we are talking a teaspoon full of smoked salmon with our salmon and scrambled eggs. Afternoon tea is £7.25 - for a cup of tea and a scone. Most of my reviews are shorter but I do feel agrieved that paid suich a high amount for what was at best an average hotel experience. I would recommend a B&B to any tourists travelling to the area and considering places to stay, several friends of ours stayed at B&B's nearby and were impressed with the welcome, the service and the food. They also paid less that £100 per night.

5  Thank scott r

Dear scott r,
I was sorry to hear that we did not come up to your expectations and I cannot escape the conclusion that you would be right to opt for a B and B when you visit our beautiful part of the world in future, if all you require is somewhere to stay. There are indeed several excellent B and B‘s in the area but, of course, these do not offer the wide range of sports and leisure facilities that we do here at the Thurlestone. In addition, we provide a full range of activities for children with our free Dolphin Club during school holidays, as well as lounges, gardens and the services provided by a four star hotel. I do hope you will decide to visit the area again and I have no doubt you will enjoy traditional Devon hospitality wherever you stay.

Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

My husband and I booked one night on DBB. We looked at hotels with comparable amenities but Thurlestone was considerably cheaper. We requested an early check-in, which was no problem, but when we arrived my husband asked if there was any chance of an upgrade and we were given a lovely room with a balcony and beautiful sea view! The leisure facilities look recently done and are fabulous. The pool had a number of kids in as it was half term, but there is an adult only area which is separate and the hotel offers children's meal time from 5.15-7 so they mostly cleared out for that. It is an amazing hotel for families, with a toddler-friendly play room, daily activities, DVDs and board games to borrow plus indoor and outdoor pools and a playground. The lounge was lovely for afternoon tea but also after dinner for coffee. The staff were fantastic and dinner was delicious. The decor is fairly old fashioned and the bathroom looked dated but the bed was AMAZING and it really was very good value for money in terms of what you get in that part of Devon. It's definitely best suited to families or the blue rinse brigade but we are in our 30s and still had a lovely romantic break!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear sah79
I am delighted to hear that you and your husband enjoyed your recent visit. We do have quite a varied clientele, attracting family groups and couples of all ages. Indeed, some of the couples who originally enjoyed a ‘romantic break’ here have come back again and again, as families with young children and now as empty nesters enjoying a luxury treat! Some bring all the family, with two or three generations! Obviously, the leisure areas are a bit more busy at certain times of year, like half term, but as you say, there is plenty for children to do. I do hope you had an opportunity to try out our newly refurbished pub, the Village Inn, which offers a more informal atmosphere for dinner.
Once again, I am so glad you had a good time and we hope to see you again.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

This hotel had a lot of good reviews from people who return year on year, that was the reason I chose it to take my aunt who was visiting from Florida. That, and the fact that it is in a lovely Devon village setting and has sea views is just what we were looking for. In reality the hotel is very much geared to the older and mature professional clients and is a little dated. We booked a twin bedded room and we were given a room that was not twin beds at all but two beds pushed together under a headboard that was fixed to the wall, the result of this was no personal bed space, it was a mish mash of furniture quite a small room and very dated. Now, after saying all that, the hotel had excellent facilities, indoor pool and spa facilities and an outdoor pool and bar for food and drinks in the summer. The staff were very polite and helpful. They have free Wi Fi but it is extremely annoying that you have to put in the hotel's log in details every single time. The final point is - if you are not fine dining in the restaurant remember to book a table in the pub next door that the hotel own, one night we didn't book and it was locals quiz night. At first we were refused a table as it was very busy, but the hotel has a dine in hotel or in the pub exchange policy. I am happy to say the manager eventually found us a table.
Overall our consideration was for this room rate we could have found better. We would not return to this hotel and would rather have a more modern not so stiff place to stay.

Room Tip: Go for a high floor.
2  Thank nanamoCheshire

Dear nanamoCheshire,
Thank you for your comments, which I have taken on board, and I am sorry we didn’t quite come up to expectations on this occasion. At the Thurlestone we don’t aim for an ultra modern vibe and with our décor we try for an up-to-date mix of traditional with a contemporary twist. Our free-standing bedroom furniture follows that style, with fixed headboards for ease and comfort. Our luxury Vi-Spring 3’3” beds can be made up either as one zipped-together Super King bed or two separate Large Singles, with a bedside table for each guest. However I do understand that our twin bed arrangement was not ideal for your needs and I am sorry you did not say something at the time so that we could have tried to allocate an extra room for you.
I am sorry that it is necessary to log in each time for Wi Fi access. Although we have recently upgraded our broadband capability we are situated in an area that as yet does not benefit from fibre optic superfast broadband and, as a result, it is necessary to log in for each usage to ensure that all guests can access our free Wi Fi.
I am glad you had an opportunity to visit our newly refurbished Village Inn and so pleased the manager found you a table at short notice. Since its reopening in April, it has been even more popular than before, both with hotel guests and as the local village pub, so we do recommend guests book a table, especially at busy times.
Once again, thank you for your review.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

Often called in for Afternoon Tea with family when staying locally or down visiting friends.
Today's visit just seem as if something is slipping - poor service, not very friendly, very expensive for the quality of food, and two mistakes made and neither corrected, despite staff being advised. Have previously have difficulty getting foreign staff to understand orders. Disappointing as have had some great times here, but not sure we will be returning again any more.

3  Thank James G

Dear James G,
I was upset to read your review and very surprised at your comments. You will have noticed that we have recently refurbished our Lounge area and introduced a new Afternoon Tea service, which has proved very popular, so I was very disappointed to hear that you experienced ‘poor service’, especially since many of our staff have been with us for a number of years. I am so sorry you were dissatisfied and I really would like to get to the bottom of this, so I would welcome the opportunity to discuss the problems you encountered, if you would be kind enough to contact me.
I look forward to speaking to you.