“Birthday lunch at the hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Thurlestone Hotel

and 1 more site!
Thurlestone Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Thurlestone
Bramley, United Kingdom
“Birthday lunch at the hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

I rang the hotel to book a meal for the wives birthday, The reception were great and even offered to decorate the table.

I was most pleased when we arrived on June 1st to be greater and welcomed to a great window table, with the staff wishing my wife a Happy Birthday. The table had decoration on it. After a great meal with excellent service the dessert plate was decorated with chocolate Happy Birthday' all around the edges.

Sparkling wine sat in comfortable garden seats after. A great way to spend a day, this was our second visit and can't wait to go back next year

Room Tip: Lunch Only
2 Thank Martin L
JulieBaugh, Manager at Thurlestone Hotel, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear Martin L
Yes, we do try and make a birthday or anniversary something a bit special. I am so glad you and your wife enjoyed it. Looking forward to seeing you again next year, or even sooner.
Julie Baugh, Hotel Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
Reading, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

Having stayed at this hotel many years ago, and enjoyed it, my wife and I decided to splash out and spend two nights here before visiting friends further on in Devon. I was advised that I would find many changes had been made to improve the hotel. Certainly, the public areas were in good order, as was the indoor pool. However, our room, which was advertised as a premium deluxe room, with sea view was very poor. It looked shabby and badly in need of decoration and update. The bathroom was very small, and had bath with a shower attachment, and overall did not represent what a premier room costing £300 per night should look like. Overall, very disappointing. An experience we will not repeat.

Room Tip: Do not accept a room on the third floor, in particular room 354.
1 Thank Barry K
Dear Barry K
I was very disappointed to see your review and very sorry we did not come up to your expectations. We have a range of different rooms, some with better views, some with bigger bathrooms, more space, etc., and your room, 354, is in fact one of our ‘Premier’ rooms. The ‘Deluxe’ rooms are a notch higher. We have a continuing programme of refurbishment and improvement and I have noted your comments about the décor.
Once again, I am sorry you were disappointed.
Enfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

This was our third stay at Thurlestone and again very enjoyable. We had a sea view room with balcony for the first time and it was definitely worth the extra.We were blessed with mostly hot , sunny weather. The food was fantastic. The scrambled eggs and smoked salmon for breakfast are the best I have eaten anywhere. We thought the church bells would disturb us being at the front for the first time but there was no problem. My only complaint would be the boiling hot towel rail in the bathroom which cannot be turned off. It does keep the bedroom feeling very warm and I managed to burn myself three times! But we will be back for another Devon "fix".

Room Tip: Choose a sea view
Dear Elizabeth A
It was kind of you to write a review and I am so pleased you enjoyed your third visit. Thank you for bringing the problem with the towel rail to my attention and I will talk to Maintenance about it.
We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Surrey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

A blissful spa day, with lovely lunch in the conservatory. We had a light lunch with good food & excellent service, followed by an afternoon with treatments in the spa. Everyone in the hotel was attentive & helpful, from reception to bar staff & the ladies in the spa. We all enjoyed our spa treatments & are looking forward to returning for a bit more luxury soon

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank NaughtyNia
Dear NaughtyNia
I am delighted you and your friends enjoyed your Spa Day. It is a very popular treat, ideal for de-stressing and a bit of pampering!
See you again soon.
Preston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

Great hotel on the South Coast. The facilities were very good, well maintained and always available. The food in the dining room (men are required to wear jackets for dinner) was of a high standard, and all staff were extremely polite. Miriam looked after us in the dining room and she was superb and ran her section very efficiently. The grounds were beautiful and provided a good backdrop to relax. The 9 hole par 3 golf course has promise, there were a number of greens undergoing work whilst we were there which shortened a number of holes and the temporary "greens" left a lot to be desired. However once the work is completed it should be a terrific little practice course. The gym, sauna, pools were all excellent, very clean and well maintained. The hotel director, Julie, was a terrific lady, who was a very engaging person. Once you get to driving on roads that are barely wide enough for 1 car the hotel is in a good location for getting around the south coast. A word of caution this is not a low price hotel even the "deals" are expensive with sea view rooms particularly so. Overall we had an excellent time and will go back one day.

Room Tip: dogs are allowed in some rooms so if you don't like the smell & hairs left behind ask for a...
1 Thank AB689908
Dear AB689908
I am so glad you enjoyed your stay and thank you for your kind comments. We are working hard to get the golf course refurbished and hope to have the work completed soon. We look forward to welcoming you back to try it out.
Moretonhampstead, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

We booked to stay the night following a wedding at the Hotel. The lowest priced room was £230, which we thought was steep, but as it was a wedding we thought we'd treat ourselves and we could both drink. We were lucky enough to check-in half an hour before the wedding started and were shown to a room that overlooked a carpark, was very tired looking though clean apart from the black stain (boot polish?) on the white duvet cover. The bathroom was tired looking too. As time was tight we didn't unpack. The wedding itself was lovely, though the licenced sitting room was quite small (our friends' wedding had 48 guests) and we were packed in tightly. The grounds were stunning with a golf course and outdoor pool with sun deck. After the Wedding Breakfast I went to Reception and asked to speak with someone about our room. A very empathetic lady took me to a sea-view room (£280) to see what I thought of that. As it was cleaner than the original room I said Yes please (though you don't look at the view when you're asleep...or try too...). Later on that evening I wished to have a swim in the Spa indoor pool. It was FREEZING!!! So I spent some time in the hydrotherapy pool, which was amazing. When we decided to go to bed, all was well for a while, but with it being a warm night, we had to have the windows open. Big mistake?! After a couple of hours of sleep, we then both heard the village church chime EVERY hour throughout the night. In our opinion, we would have heard them with the windows closed and also in the original room, which was across the corridor from the second room. In the village where we live, the church bells stop at 10pm and re-start at 7am. We went to breakfast and there was a great assortment of cereals, juices, jams. However, on the cooked side, as a vegetarian I was limited to egg, tomato, beans and hash brown. There was no meat alternative, which I find very disappointing. We have found on our travels that the higher the star rating, the less I can be catered for, hence the title "we have stayed in better motels". Would we stay again? Definitely Not. Would we recommend? Definitely Not. VERY expensive for what you get an very disappointing.

Room Tip: Until they sort out the church bells, no room will give you a good nigh't sleep.
3 Thank Louise A
Dear Louise A,
I was rather surprised to read your review, especially since I am aware of how hard we tried to address your concerns at the time. I am so pleased you enjoyed your friends’ wedding here as this was the reason for your visit, but very sorry that we did not come up to your expectations. I was particularly surprised to read your comments about being kept awake by the church clock chiming the hour because we have never had a complaint of this nature before! The indoor pool is kept at a constant temperature of 28-29ºC, which is the recommended level and suits most people; however, I am glad you enjoyed the rather warmer hydrotherapy pool. We do offer vegetarian options at breakfast, such as vegetarian sausages, eggs Florentine, pancakes and omelettes, and I am very sorry this was not made plain to you.
Once again, I am sorry we didn’t come up to your expectations.
Budleigh Salterton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

This hotel, family run, manages to maintain a very high standard of personal service, quality of food and accommodation and superb new spa facilities. We always enjoy going there to retreat from the stresses of life!
Graham Taylor

Room Tip: Views from the front rooms are fabulous!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Graham T
Dear Graham T,
Many thanks and I am so glad you continue to enjoy your visits and feel refreshed when you go home!
Looking forward to seeing you next time.
Julie Baugh, Hotel Director
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thurlestone
Salcombe Harbour Hotel & Spa
Dart Marina Hotel and Spa
Lantern Lodge
Lantern Lodge
#3 of 4 in Hope Cove

Been to Thurlestone Hotel? Share your experiences!