“wow”
Review of Thurlestone Hotel

Thurlestone Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Thurlestone
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Family of 3, stayed in July 2014 for 1 night. Fabulous room with balcony, and very tastefully decorated. The hotel is superb, the staff were extremely friendly and helpful. The indoor pool and spa facilties are exeptionally clean and beautifully designed. The outdoor pool was lovely, and the poolside bistro was good, the chef was very accomodating, and nothing was too much trouble. The adjoining pub was good, food was okay (staff were not very attentive -almost though I had turned invisible when waiting to place my order -as no one else was at the bar apart from me, and there were two staff chatting in front of me). Yes, some have said the hotel is expensive, but it truly was a superb stay, from the 9 hole pitch and putt/the spa/pools, there is something for everyone, and we hope to return again soon. Well done.

Room Tip: Choose a sea facing balcony if possible
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
JulieBaugh, Manager at Thurlestone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2014

Dear Lucylexis
I am so glad you and your family enjoyed your night’s stay. I do apologise for the lapse in service at the Village Inn. You are right to bring it to my attention and I have passed your comments on to the manager.
I hope we will see you and your family again soon.

There are newer reviews for Thurlestone Hotel

Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Great outside pool area and kids club run regular activities. Good food and activities for adults too and beach a 5 min walk away, Been several times and always delivers. If I had one gripe it is the interminable wait for your drinks to arrive!

• Stayed: August 2014

Dear Chefeatingout,
I am delighted you and your family enjoyed the ‘perfect family holiday’ with us. Families large and small receive a special welcome at the Thurlestone and I am glad your children had fun in the pool and with the Dolphin Club activities. I am sorry about the delays in the bar and I have spoken to the staff about this.
We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

We stayed here recently for my in laws 50th wedding anniversary, we have been coming on and off for 25 years, they have been coming for about 30 years. We have in the past found the service food and experience excellent but this time we didn't think it was as good as it had previously been. We arrived and after check in went straight for cream tea, we waited quite a while before my husband went to find someone the same happened to my in laws the day after, £14 for three tiny scones (reduced in size from previously) to share was expensive to say the least. The hotel has recently been refurbished, I'm pleased to say the beds have been turned to face the fantastic views which is an improvement but no air conditioning, the room was so very hot and could have done with it, we were also confused by the dark green Chinese theme in our room, we felt a natural lighter seaside english theme would have been more suitable. None of us liked the new colours or artwork in the lounge but this is personal choice, you can't please all the people all of the time! The bar seemed very slow when drinks were ordered. The food was excellent and delicious but the service was slow and patchy in the restaurant, I didn't have a knife and fork and had to ask for them and our waitress seemed to have difficulty understanding us at times. The pool was lovely as were the sauna, steam room and showers unfortunately the jacuzzi was out of order. We booked a treatment each in the therapy suite and had the lovely Alex who made us feel relaxed and refreshed. All in all we felt when you are paying these sorts of prices you expect excellence and it was just a little below par

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Dear AKVstratford,
Thank you for your review; it is always good to hear from our regular visitors and I am so glad you chose us for your parents-in-law’s Golden Wedding celebrations. However, I was disappointed to read some of your comments and very sorry that we did not quite come up to expectations on this occasion. Your feedback is very important to us and we take your comments very seriously and discuss them at our regular Management Meetings. I do hope you and your parents-in-law will give us another chance.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

This was our third visit to the Thurlestone Hotel, we were so pleased to see it had not changed , this is an excellent Hotel run superbly ,and how refreshing jackets are still required in the dinning room .The food was gorgeous our room lovely with a great view ,this hotel is all about standards and respect, ,can't wait to come back.

Room Tip: a room with a balcony , lovely to sit and take in the view.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Susie C,
I am so glad you and your family enjoyed your week’s holiday. The ‘jackets at dinner’ controversy continues but the vote still veers towards keeping it, as the majority of guests feel it adds to the ambience during an evening’s ‘fine dining’. We try very hard to accomplish a blend of traditional standards and service with up-to-date facilities and a contemporary twist but, at the end of the day, what we really want is for our guests to enjoy themselves and come back again!
We look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

Had a lovely 4night stay in July. Room very spacious with lovely sea views and meals in hotel very good. Ask for a refurbished room on booking as some are dated and in need of decoration. The outdoor pool area is very nice and relaxing , with lots of sun loungers , and a bar area for drinks/snacks. The church bells are nothing to worry about and I certainly wouldn't let it put you of booking here. Will definitely go again .

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Brianmelanie

Dear Brianmelanie,
How kind of you to write a review and I am very glad you enjoyed your break. Thank you for your comment about the church bells. One reviewer a few weeks ago was suffering from a sleepless night and was aware of the bells chiming the hour, but it is most unusual for any of our guests to even notice them, so thank you for mentioning it. We have an ongoing programme of refurbishment and most of our bedrooms have been recently redecorated and up-dated, with top of the range bathrooms too. I am glad you liked yours.
Looking forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

We were celebrating our 30th Wedding Anniversary, my wife was only 12 when she first visited Thurlestone Hotel the very first time... We have been back quite a few times since for holidays. The on-line booking asked for any special requests so I mentioned we were celebrating an important occasion. The hotel did not disappoint us... we arrived and they upgraded our room, our table for breakfast and evening meal was in prime position to overlook the bay. The staff very attentive... nothing to much trouble! Thank you very much and we will be back!!

Room Tip: Sea facing rooms - as the view is stunning!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Trevor E,
I am delighted you and your wife chose us to celebrate your wedding anniversary. We try and make special occasions like this just that little bit more special, and I am so pleased you enjoyed your weekend.
Thank you for the review and we look forward to seeing you next time.

Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for one night whilst at a wedding. The food was average, the staff were great and the one night stay was ridiculously priced....£300 for one night!!! There was no air-con in the room, the breakfast was tasty, yet I would have liked a little more hot food. The hotel did have some great facilities that we were unable to use due to the wedding. If you want to spend a few days playing golf, using the spa and gym, then this is the place for you. If you are literally spending the night here, then it is way over priced!

Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank boltoncharlie

Dear boltoncharlie,
I am so sorry you did not have time to enjoy the full Thurlestone ‘experience’. We host a lot of weddings and we always hope that the resident wedding guests will have the opportunity to relax in the Voyage Spa or take advantage of our other leisure facilities. Perhaps we can tempt you back for a longer stay next time.
Julie Baugh, Hotel Director

Also consider these accommodations in or near Thurlestone
Salcombe Harbour Hotel & Spa
#1 of 4 in Hope Cove
The Sun Bay Hotel
The Sun Bay Hotel
#2 of 4 in Hope Cove

Been to Thurlestone Hotel? Share your experiences!