“Great place in which to relax”
Review of Thurlestone Hotel

Thurlestone Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Thurlestone
Cambridge
“Great place in which to relax”
Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

An excellent hotel with a great range of facilities. Bedrooms very comfortable and thoughtfully equipped. Very good food. Staff welcoming and helpful. I especially enjoyed the peace and quiet of the gardens during my stay this time.

Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
JulieBaugh, Manager at Thurlestone Hotel, responded to this review, 24 October 2014
Dear Anne M
I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay. The gardens are a wonderful haven, aren’t they – I am glad you were able to relax there. Thank you so much for your kind review and we look forward to seeing you next time.
Julie Baugh, Hotel Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 13 August 2014

My mum and I went to Thurlestone hotel for a spa afternoon and had a fabulous time. We had lunch on the terrace first and the food was excellent. Really tasty, great service and great views. The menu isn't huge, but they have it on their website so you can check it before you go. We had salads and they were wonderful. I had an avocado salad and asked for some smoked salmon as well which was no problem for them at all.

In the spa itself the staff (in particular Amanda!) were great. We both had hot stone massages which were relaxing and very well done. The treatment rooms look to have been renovated recently as they were very clean and modern. We then relaxed in the pool, sauna and steam room. I think our favorite was the steam room as it was very hot and the heat just sank into you - bliss! There is also a slightly cooler room which we sat in for quite a while just cooling down and relaxing. The changing rooms were also modern and well designed if a little on the small side.

The spa is not large like in some of the big spa hotels but that actually made it very personal and nice. I think we may have been lucky in that there weren't any children in the pool while we were there. A few did arrive just as we were leaving who I assume were staying there with their parents and had probably come back from a day out. When they arrived the noise levels did increase a bit :) I would imagine that there would be very few outside of school holidays (we were there peak season I would think!).

After our relaxing afternoon, we had afternoon tea in the lounge with great views. There was more cream and jam than we could possibly eat in one go!

Overall, a wonderful afternoon and exactly what I was hoping for given it was a birthday present for my mum. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it and we'll be back!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
JulieBaugh, Manager at Thurlestone Hotel, responded to this review, 17 August 2014
Dear WickedWanderers,
I am so pleased you and your mother enjoyed your Spa Break. They are a very popular gift, especially with mothers and daughters, both getting to enjoy a relaxing and pampering day with ‘quality time’ together. Thank you for writing about your visit and we look forward to seeing you both again soon.
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We stayed here for 5 days as a large family goup celebrating a golden Wedding anniversary.
The rooms were superb, we had a suite for us and our 2 children. Views were excellent.
the food was amazing too. Great facilities with Spa and indoor pool and a heated outdoor pool.
Lovely pub attached to the hotel as well.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank andy b
Dear andy b,
Thank you so much for your review. I am delighted that you and your family enjoyed the Golden Wedding celebrations. I do hope we have the opportunity to see you again in the not too distant future.
Wilmslow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2014

I visit this hotel at least 4 times a year often on my own as I like to visit Kingsbridge where I grew up. I always enjoy this hotel maybe preferring it off peak. I would like to say that I am always treated well when travelling on my own and would like to especially mention Luigi the restaurant manager who went to some trouble to ensure I was catered for in the restaurant. Will be visiting again soon and lone travellers do not feel hesitant about booking a stay.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank 494Traveller
Dear 494Traveller,
It was so nice of you to contact TripAdvisor after your recent stay. We readily welcome single travellers and I am very pleased to hear that you enjoy your regular visits. I do hope your comments will encourage any lone travellers who might be undecided and reassure them that they will receive a warm welcome here at the Thurlestone.
We look forward to your next visit.
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Family of 3, stayed in July 2014 for 1 night. Fabulous room with balcony, and very tastefully decorated. The hotel is superb, the staff were extremely friendly and helpful. The indoor pool and spa facilties are exeptionally clean and beautifully designed. The outdoor pool was lovely, and the poolside bistro was good, the chef was very accomodating, and nothing was too much trouble. The adjoining pub was good, food was okay (staff were not very attentive -almost though I had turned invisible when waiting to place my order -as no one else was at the bar apart from me, and there were two staff chatting in front of me). Yes, some have said the hotel is expensive, but it truly was a superb stay, from the 9 hole pitch and putt/the spa/pools, there is something for everyone, and we hope to return again soon. Well done.

Room Tip: Choose a sea facing balcony if possible
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Lucylexis
I am so glad you and your family enjoyed your night’s stay. I do apologise for the lapse in service at the Village Inn. You are right to bring it to my attention and I have passed your comments on to the manager.
I hope we will see you and your family again soon.
Chippenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Great outside pool area and kids club run regular activities. Good food and activities for adults too and beach a 5 min walk away, Been several times and always delivers. If I had one gripe it is the interminable wait for your drinks to arrive!

• Stayed August 2014
Dear Chefeatingout,
I am delighted you and your family enjoyed the ‘perfect family holiday’ with us. Families large and small receive a special welcome at the Thurlestone and I am glad your children had fun in the pool and with the Dolphin Club activities. I am sorry about the delays in the bar and I have spoken to the staff about this.
We look forward to your next visit.
Stratford on Avon
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here recently for my in laws 50th wedding anniversary, we have been coming on and off for 25 years, they have been coming for about 30 years. We have in the past found the service food and experience excellent but this time we didn't think it was as good as it had previously been. We arrived and after check in went straight for cream tea, we waited quite a while before my husband went to find someone the same happened to my in laws the day after, £14 for three tiny scones (reduced in size from previously) to share was expensive to say the least. The hotel has recently been refurbished, I'm pleased to say the beds have been turned to face the fantastic views which is an improvement but no air conditioning, the room was so very hot and could have done with it, we were also confused by the dark green Chinese theme in our room, we felt a natural lighter seaside english theme would have been more suitable. None of us liked the new colours or artwork in the lounge but this is personal choice, you can't please all the people all of the time! The bar seemed very slow when drinks were ordered. The food was excellent and delicious but the service was slow and patchy in the restaurant, I didn't have a knife and fork and had to ask for them and our waitress seemed to have difficulty understanding us at times. The pool was lovely as were the sauna, steam room and showers unfortunately the jacuzzi was out of order. We booked a treatment each in the therapy suite and had the lovely Alex who made us feel relaxed and refreshed. All in all we felt when you are paying these sorts of prices you expect excellence and it was just a little below par

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear AKVstratford,
Thank you for your review; it is always good to hear from our regular visitors and I am so glad you chose us for your parents-in-law’s Golden Wedding celebrations. However, I was disappointed to read some of your comments and very sorry that we did not quite come up to expectations on this occasion. Your feedback is very important to us and we take your comments very seriously and discuss them at our regular Management Meetings. I do hope you and your parents-in-law will give us another chance.
Julie Baugh, Hotel Director
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thurlestone
Salcombe Harbour Hotel & Spa
The Sun Bay Hotel
The Sun Bay Hotel
#2 of 4 in Hope Cove
Plantation House Hotel and Restaurant

Been to Thurlestone Hotel? Share your experiences!