“Absolutely perfect country hotel”
Review of The Hartnoll Hotel

The Hartnoll Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Tiverton
Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

My husband and I took the opportunity to have a few days away together, we couldn't have picked a lovelier spot.

Firstly it's in a delightful setting, with a wonderful NationalTrust walk nearby, ideal for dogs.

Secondly our dogs were allowed in our room! A treat for them as this doesn't normally happen in our home, and we were grateful that they were able to be with us and not locked in the car.

Thirdly the food, excellent. Breakfasts were delicious mid-morning coffee in the drawing room was a delight whilst we read the papers, three course evening supper, A good selection of local produce, deliciously cooked.

Would definitely recommend.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Hartnoll Hotel

Reviewed 12 August 2014

I had the great pleasure to enjoy a superb 3 course lunch at this hotel recently. My son was playing cricket locally and we had travelled from Plymouth for the day. The service at the hotel was excellent - attentive, professional and courteous.
The meal was terrifice - I took advantage of the excellent value 2 course lunch menu (choosing Fish Cake for the starter and followed it with the Fish main course - Hake). Perfection! And couldn't be beaten or so I thought.
I prefer savoury foods to sweet and so I was not intending to have a dessert but I am sure glad I did.
The Mango extravanganza was a treat and I happily recommended it to other visitors at the time.

Well done to all at the Hartnoll. If i am ever in the area again I will certainly pay a further visit.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank 675Mark
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here on business and the hotel is easy to get to in a good location and plenty of parking spaces to be had. The hotel is nicely decorated and done out and nice garden to enjoy drinks and meals on a nice summers day. The hotel can get quite busy so worthwhile making reservations. Nice places to visit nearby too.

Unfortunately the first room I stayed in whilst nice and roomy had quite a few spiders in it throughout the room. Could well have been a nest nearby. I requested to move to another room and as the hotel was pretty booked up I ended up in their standard room which was quite small. This also had some wildlife but not as bad as the first room. The rooms themselves are nice, clean and have good amenities in place. My suggestion here is that someone senior checks out the rooms after they have been cleaned, maybe even on a daily basis, to make sure items like this are checked out before guests use the room. The front of house desk were polite and apologetic but I think a complimentary drink or something wouldn't have gone amiss as way of apology. They are after all promoting themselves as a more upmarket type hotel.

Guess being out in the countryside you're going to expect a few visitors. As long as they don't rack up the room service bill! ;-)

The food in the restaurant for dinner and breakfast is worth the money. Really well prepared and fresh ingredients. Credit to the chef. I don't know why the staff were intent on keeping me inside when there were tables available in the conservatory and outside though. Hmmm. My only comment here would be to have some sort of net cover to cover the pastries/fruit selection at the breakfast table in the morning as this was also attracting the wildlife and not a good look.

The meals are what made this stay for me and I believe some slight changes can bring huge rewards and maybe in the future if I stay again the score could be higher.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 August 2014

One night on the way to the North Devon beaches we stayed in lovely Hartnoll Hotel with our 3 young kids. As a wedding was happening at the hotel that night there were lots of guests about but the restaurant and lounge were great for the rest of the guests including us. We had lovely interconnecting rooms in an outside small annex off the parking lot and they were very comfortable albeit right by the tiny road. Next time we will like to try rooms in the beautiful main house. The breakfast was great, kids roamed the lovely garden and we were on our way. Only minor moan would be inconsistent wifi coverage on the property but that's not going to put us off coming back next time.

• Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Have searched around Tiverton for several years for a decent restaurant. At last I have found one. I stress that I did not stay at the hotel, but from the outset the impression was positive. The Receptionist was extremely pleasant, and showed us to the lounge where pre dinner drinks were promptly served and menus produced for our inspection. We dined in the conservatory overlooking the croquet lawns and gardens. The waiting staff were attentive but not intrusive. Our food was well presented, well cooked, and portions sufficient. We arrived early and the restaurant steadily filled during the evening (Monday). It was clear that a fair proportion were local people which I always regard as a good indicator. We regarded the prices as reasonable, certainly not th cheapest around, but in our view well worth the money. Pleasant location, plenty of parking, and well worth a visit.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Richard C
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

I arrived late on a rainy Tuesday night in August (5th) for a business meeting the following day. The lady on reception was charming and made me feel very welcome. She even helped me with my luggage to my room and asked if I would like a table in the restaurant. As I was late I decided on room service so she brought a menu with her.

My room was a very nice boutique style with all the conveniences and extras I could desire. Beautifully clean & fresh with an excellent bathroom.

My food was brought to my room and even though it was merely sausage and mash was exceptional.

The lady who checked me in came with my dinner and returned later to retrieve my dishes.

In all fairness she is an exceptional asset to the hotel team, who made my short stay very pleasurable from the outset.

Thank you.

Andy

Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Andrew T
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

Beautiful setting, good service. Nice variety on the menu and also specials menu. Lovely presented food, cooked well and very tasty, but if you are like me and desserts are your favourite part of the meal, then this is the place to go. Drinks are a little pricey and you probably pay a few pounds more for the meal, but I think it's worth it to impress clients or treat yourself on a special occasion.

Stayed: August 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tiverton
Best Western Tiverton Hotel
Highbullen Hotel
Highbullen Hotel
#1 of 1 in Chittlehamholt
Fox and Hounds Country Hotel

Been to The Hartnoll Hotel? Share your experiences!