“Good value deli restaurant”
Review of The Flying Pickle

The Flying Pickle
Ranked #15 of 85 Restaurants in Tiverton
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 12 June 2013

We ate here on a Friday evening, it was very quiet and we didn't have to book. We went upstaris and had the whole room to ourselves, which was great for us, we had a brilliant evening catching up with a friend. The service was excellent, the young woman who must have been very fit, kept popping up through the course of the evening, to see that everything was ok. I started with the crab cakes....they were fine, but my friend had the hummus and I wish I had! My husband had a lovely pate. For the mains I had the lamb kebabs with couscous, my friend had the veggie kebabs with couscous, both filling and delicious and my husband had the blue cheese, chicken and bacon pasta, very, very nice. Because it's a deli the desserts were delicious cheesecake and pecan pie, always a favourite of mine, and did not disappoint. We has a bottle of local wine which my friend enjoyed and I had a bottle of lovely local cider which was delicious. The coffee was very strong...good...but not very hot...not so good.

Really pleased to be able to eat in a place which aims to source its products locally. We had a lovely evening, with pleasant but unobtrusive service, pretty good value and good food We'll be back....

Reviewed 5 June 2013

Have visited a few times. Food has always been very good, although a little on the pricey side.
I am never sure how to order though. Do I take a seat and wait for someone to take my order, or do I order at the counter? There is nothing to clarify this on any signage or on the menu.

TheFlyingPickle, Owner at The Flying Pickle, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2013

Hi there, many thanks for taking the time to write a review and sorry that there appears to be some confusion over our method of service. We operate on an order at the till basis, which is why all our menus are on blackboards on the walls. There is a sign over the till directly as you come in and also upstairs instructing customers how to order, however we will review this after reading your comments. Thank you again for visiting us and hope you will return soon.

Reviewed 5 June 2013

Nice location, friendly staff, service could be a little quicker but they try. There is a varied menu and the food is tastey and homemade. There is a nice ambiance there, and I find it a pleasant place to visit.

Reviewed 27 May 2013

I've popped in here numerous times, mainly to use the deli and I've never had a great experience.

Every time I've been in the staff couldn't use the meat slicer properly - failing to slice the delicious Parma Ham thinly. On most occasions it was the thickness of a £2 coin, which is way to thick. Or they wouldn't even use the machine - popped in at 4.30 one day, asking for some Parma Ham to be told the machine had already been cleaned.

In addition, I've experienced long waits to be served even though there are 3 staff on out the front, and the majority of the tables were empty.

I try to support interesting, well priced, local shops, but am thwarted by poor customer service

1  Thank Zapscan
TheFlyingPickle, Owner at The Flying Pickle, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2013

I was saddened and surprised to read that the reviewer has had a series of poor experiences in our establishment. We have always prided ourselves on our friendly service, and strive to instil the same ethos in our staff.
Having investigated the incident involving Parma ham cut WAY too thickly, I have discovered an instance when a member of staff who is not trained to use the meat slicer, and should not be using it, took it upon themselves to attempt slicing parma ham(in a misguided, but well-meaning, desire to help in a busy situation). This lands entirely at my feet, and I will be overhauling the staff training programme.
Not surprisingly, I can find noone that remembers refusing to use the meat slicer because it had been cleaned. This is totally unacceptable, all the staff know it's unacceptable, and I can only apologise wholeheartedly to the reviewer. Perhaps I need to search out patrons willing to act as mystery shoppers?!
Lastly, whilst not seeking to justify any customer waiting for an extended period, I felt the assertion that the reviewer waited for a long period with three staff on in a largely empty premises was, perhaps, unjust.
It is worth noting that in addition to the downstairs seating, we have a further 30 covers upstairs, and often the ground floor can seem quite deserted,whilst upstairs is packed to the gills.
In an ideal world, I would love to have one member of staff dedicated solely to deli sales, but I'm sure everyone understands the need for an independent deli to be able to price their products competitively. This would be impossible with another staff member idly standing by. We can only hope the high quality of our products, priced fairly, make up for this in some small way.
Many Thanks to the reviewer, whose comments we appreciate and will help us to improve our customer care.

Reviewed 13 May 2013

I visited this cafe during the day for lunch with my partner. The staff where really friendly and the choice on the menu was good without being too much. The food was really fresh and I saw a lot of local produce around the cafe which is always nice.

We really enjoyed our meal and will certainly return and will also try in the evening as the cafe has a lovely atmosphere.

Glad you enjoyed yourselves, and hope to see you again soon, reviewer! Many Thanks