“Most charming hotel and staff”

BEST WESTERN Tiverton Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Tiverton
GreenLeadersBronze level
Bristol
“Most charming hotel and staff”
Reviewed 3 August 2012

Stayed in this 3 star hotel recently during golf trip and have to stay that I have stayed in higher graded hotels which were vastly inferior to this. I stayed in one of their executive rooms which was light, airy and extremely well equipped including desk with printer. I thought that a considerable effort had been made with the decor throughout even down to the pictures on the walls throughout the hotel.

The dinner in the evening, although catering for a group of golfers and partners numbering around a 100 was suberb as was the very full breakfast the following morning. All in all, I was most pleasantly surprised as I have stayed in similar hotels that were not a patch on this one.

Room Tip: The room on the ground floor of the executive wing in which I stayed was excellent
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank RoddersBristol
writerWestCountry, Owner at BEST WESTERN Tiverton Hotel, responded to this review, 8 August 2012
Dear RoddersBristol,

Thank you for your great review and I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay.

kind regards

Rhys Roberts

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2012

I was last in this hotel some 34 years ago. On pulling into the car park from the outside it had not changed! I thought OMG,what have I booked. But I need not have worried. The stay was a pleasant one. My wife and I travelled with 2 friends. Breakfast was good,plenty on offer, the usual you would find at most good hotels. Drinks from the bar was not too pricey,however the service was a bit of a let down. It seems there is an abundance of staff at certain times of the day/night and only one at other times. Hence feeling a little dismayed one afternoon waiting for drinks at the bar only to find 10 mins later the receptionist doubled up as a barman!
The room was ok, pretty basic and needs to be updated to be brought into line with most good chain hotels. However there is tea/coffee facilities, tv with freeview. No air con and it was warm! Iron and board and plenty of space for luggage and clothes.
Overall I have stayed in far better hotels,but if you only want a base to travel from, then you can do a lot worse than the Tiverton hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank cbr2134
writerWestCountry, Owner at BEST WESTERN Tiverton Hotel, responded to this review, 1 August 2012
Dear Clay,

Thanks for your fair and constructive review and of course we are delighted that you and your wife enjoyed your stay.

I should say in fairness that the hotel has changed a lot since you were last here, not least by the addition of another 40 rooms, two meeting rooms, redesigned bar and restaurant and the addition of free wifi, public computer, upgraded banqueting suite and totally new kitchen, I could go on.

What hasn't changed in the 15 years since I've owned the property however is our deep commitment to looking after our guest in a clean safe welcoming environment and whilst I could never claim to have the prettiest hotel we do offer a proposition that many of our guests enjoy.

Thanks again for coming back and please don't leave it so long the next time, I look forward to meeting you and saying thanks.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2012

I use this hotel regularly for work. Granted it looks very tatty and old from the outside and it can be a trek to your room. However the rooms are equipped well enough to be used as an office (printer, desk and office chair etc.) and quiet enough to be productive.
The beds are comfortable and the rooms are always clean with extra pillows and blankets.
Breakfast is a buffet affair and always well stocked. The evening menu is limited but of good quality.
The staff are helpful and nothing is too much.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Dear Jessical,

Thanks for your review and in particular your great comments on the service rooms and food.

We are working hard to upgrade the exterior and our gardens are a picture at the moment, check out the web site photos but as a regular guest you will be aware of what we are trying to do.

Thanks again and I look forward to meeting you when you return.

kind regards

wolverhampton
Reviewed 25 July 2012

I regularly stay away on business, and would generally avoid Best Western - simply because I am usually disappointed by them. However on this occasion there were very few alternatives, so I decided to give it a go.
From the outside it is very outdated. Internally it is not so bad, but would still benefit from being dragged into the 21st century. That said the room was large and well equipped. The tea and coffee making facilities were fine, and a bottle of mineral water on a very hot day was appreciated. In terms of the room my only gripe was that the shower, although it looked good, didn't really live up to expectations - a case of style over substance.
However I can forgive a hotel for an awful lot if I get good service, and I have to say the service I received throughout my stay was polite, friendly and professional. Breakfast was fine. The standard coffee was very mediocre (weak and off a warmer), but to be fair when I asked for an espresso a decent coffee was delivered without complaint.
I used the hotel to meet a colleague and go through some work for an hour or so in the morning, and again the service and coffee in the lounge was delivered without any problems.
In general, not bad for a Best Western, and worth recommending for Tiverton if you can get a room price you are happy to pay.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back have a pleasant small river running behind them.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
writerWestCountry, Owner at BEST WESTERN Tiverton Hotel, responded to this review, 27 July 2012
Dear fillyk,

Thanks for the review, I'll look into the coffee, normally this is fine but it may be a technical issue or training issue for delivering it to you warm, but glad the espresso did the trick.

Thanks too for the recommendation and I look forward to meeting you on your return.

Rugby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2012

I needed to stay somewhere for 1 night in the Devon area with easy access to the M5. This hotel fitted the bill as I cant sleep at the service station motels. 10 minutes from the M5, excellent signage to get to the location and the first impression is really bad. The exterior looks old and dated and has a real motel appearance. There is plenty of free parking available and numerous entrances that allow easier access to different parts of the hotel dependant upon your room location.

The interior is similarly dated in its decor, but its clean and well maintained. My room was well presented with a double and a single bed, TV, tea and coffee making, trouser press etc. The bathroom continued with the decor theme and would benefit the most from being refurbished.

The real highlight of this hotel is, as other people have commented, the staff and the food. All the members of staff were friendly, chatty and helpful and it was good to see the manager serving at breakfast and helping customers to their tables. The food was of excellent quality; I found the bar menu to be more of my liking than the restaurant. Breakfast was excellent.

The location seems to be very popular with coach parties and an older clientele; if your looking for a modern, stylish, contemporary hotel then this isn't for you. If you want friendly service and an easily accessable base for North Devon it will fit the bill

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
writerWestCountry, Owner at BEST WESTERN Tiverton Hotel, responded to this review, 25 July 2012
Dear T7PDC,

Thanks for your review and I'm delighted that you enjoyed your stay and whilst I can't do a great deal on the design of the building, we are developing our gardens which are now looking great and have recently won a local award and our bathrooms are undergoing a refurbishment programme, something Best Western recently recognised when awarding us an international quality award.

Having said that I do recognise our staff are one of our real assets, they do genuinely go out of their way to make sure our guests are looked after and whilst this time of year our corporate clients tend to be away, we do have a regular and loyal corporate clientle throughout most of the year not to mention the 20 to 30 conferences we host weekly.

More importantly, great to have you here and I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2012

We have stayed at this hotel for the last 4 years. The location is handy as it is near to M5, you have the option of travelling to north or south Devon also Cornwall is not too far away. Exmoor is very near and Tiverton seems to be the gateway to Exmoor and mid Devon.
The staff are friendly and helpful. The food is good and varied choice on the menu. The beds are very comfortable. Plenty of parking. Also in Tiverton there are very nice walks along the canal.

Room Tip: try to get a room overlooking the sports field which rooms are quiet and not too warm in the summer
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
writerWestCountry, Owner at BEST WESTERN Tiverton Hotel, responded to this review, 23 July 2012
Dear alan b,

Thanks for your review and the great things you had to say about the hotel and it's staff.

Rhys
South East
Reviewed 2 July 2012

Large comfortable rooms,Very good food with a varied menu.Nice restuarant. The staff were extremely efficient,,friendly and helpful. we stayed for 2 days,2 very good National Trust houses were near,and so is Exeter. The hotel is not particularly modern but the staff make it special

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
, Owner at BEST WESTERN Tiverton Hotel, responded to this review, 5 July 2012
Dear BalderdashSouth,

Thanks for your kind review which I will pass on to our team and I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay.

Rhys Roberts
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tiverton
The Hartnoll Hotel
#1 of 33 in Tiverton
The Globe Inn
The Globe Inn
#1 of 2 in Sampford Peverell

Been to BEST WESTERN Tiverton Hotel? Share your experiences!