“Excellent New Landlord!!”

Price range: US$11 - US$24
Cuisines: American, British
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Reservations
Description: We are a family run business offering a great atmosphere and home-cooked locally sourced food. Old school american style food, everything cooked from scratch by our experienced chefs - Ranging from Beastie Burgers to succulent steaks and also some classic american dishes such as gumbo and jumbalaya. The Barge Inn will be having a face lift as we have big plans for a refurbishment of the function suit to provide a fresh new restaurant for the local community to enjoy. Open from 12 midday on weekends and from 5pm weekdays - always happy to serve food!
Reviewed 10 May 2014

This pub has recently been taken over by a new landlord and landlady - what a difference they are making already. Everyone, whether you're local or holiday maker is made to feel welcome. The atmosphere has changed considerably (for the better) the landlady before had almost run it into the ground! They have engaged a real Chef whose food is far superior to what had previously been served. I believe this pub is well and truly on the "UP" and wish the landlord and landlady every success. Keep going on the same path and you will have a great pub.

2  Thank marybN7981XQ

Reviewed 9 December 2013

I visited The Barge on 7th Dec 2013 for a Christmas meal with a party of 31. I knew the Landlady had problems as her normal chef had left, but she said that she had a new chef and assure me that everything would be fine.
The meal was a distaster. The service was appalling and the meal was certainly not up to the standard that one would expect for £18.95 per head. Five of our party left without eating the meal as they were disgusted with it. When I complained to the Landlady at the end of the evening, she agreed that the service was bad, but insisted that they had pulled out all the stops and had worked hard to do their best for us. We obviously disagreed. I was expecting her to give us a discount because of this bad service, but she insisted that we agreed the price when we booked and was not prepared to give us any reduction. We will never visit again, she has obviously never heard of customer relations.

3  Thank Mrs Gill H
Reviewed 24 February 2013

Unlike city pubs, this one keeps 'traditional opening hours. I.e. they stop taking orders for food at 1:45 and stop serving at 2:00, which was when we turned up, with our dog. However, this was not apparent as we were happily welcomed and served with food and drink while we sat near the fire and the other customers finished their meals and drinks and progressively went on their way. And still we were made to feel welcome. What a lovely place.
It's not big. It's not fancy. But I wish it was my local.

4  Thank Robert F