“Unique experience”

Devon Badger Watch
Ranked #5 of 31 things to do in Tiverton
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: A unique opportunity to see wild badgers who come very close to you on their own terms. Walk through beautiful scenery and woodland to a purpose-built hide overlooking the natural sett where you can sit comfortably to observe these fascinating wild creatures. A magical experience.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Reviewed 14 May 2009

I loved this attraction, it was so different to any other wildlife experience I'd had before. There is an interesting talk before you go to the hide. Then a short walk down to the hide where you are seated in front of a glass panel where your eyes are at just above the ground level outside. The host scatters peanuts in front of the outside of the hide and you just sit quietly and along come the badgers. I was surprised how quickly they came along, it was maybe only 10 minutes the night we were there before the first one came out. I think they stayed for about an hour the night we were there. They come almost right up to the glass by the end of the night so you get a really up-close-and-personal view of them. Whilst you are watching and when you are waiting for them to turn up the host continues talking giving more info about the badgers. We saw 5 on our night.

I don't think this is something you could get to with public transport so would need your own car. There is one toilet you can visit as you walk to the hide but none while you are in the hide so go at the beginning of the night if you need to. I don't think this is a wheelchair friendly attraction due to the downhill walk to the hide but you wouldn't need to be especially mobile or fit, it is quite a short walk. On regular nights there is no photography allowed, they sometimes do specific nights just for photography enthusiasts.

4  Thank LondonDanielle
badgerannie, Manager at Devon Badger Watch, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

After so many great reviews I have finally found out how to respond and found the time to do so!
Thank you for your kind review and I'm glad you enjoyed seeing the badgers so close.
We have worked hard over the last 18 years to get them to come so close and feel comfortable with people in the hide.
Although it is difficult to get to us on public transport, we will always do our best to make it possible by collecting small groups (up to 4 maximum) from bus stops, bus station or railway station a few miles away.
Unfortunately it is not wheelchair friendly but still possible to get a wheelchair down and back to the hide with the help of a strong able assistant. Visitors would have to bring their own assistant who we would happily give a complimentary place to on evenings which are not fully booked.
Regards, Anne