“Unpretentious Relaxation”

The Portsmouth Arms Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Umberleigh
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Always a sincere welcome. Great food. Good beer and friendly, entertaining locals. Andy & Dee excellent hosts. The apartments are modern and comfortable. Highly recommended. Peter the woodsman has plenty of tales to tell and another guy whose name escapes is a laugh.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank John W

Reviewed 23 April 2014

We decided to take a 5 day "taster" mini break in North Devon, on the recommendation of a friend - who suggested the Portsmouth Arms.The cottage was ideal - beautifully decorated and very comfortable. Andy and Dee were the perfect hosts. The meals (breakfast and evening) were substantial and delicious. Although we were strangers, Andy, Dee and the regulars made us feel welcome from the minute we walked through the door. Very memorable - we will be back !

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank michael s
Reviewed 13 March 2014

We live locally and often visit the Portsmouth Arms for an evening meal. We have always been made welcome - even when we were newcomers to the area, and have sampled some delicious meals. From Sunday roast to simple sausage and mash - 5 star rating!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Attending a wedding at an *extremely* close venue, then visiting friends in the area. Stayed five nights, three in a room in the main building, the last two in one of the cottages. The room was fine, no problems there, then the cottage was just sensational. Immaculately clean, spacious and comfortable. My local friends and I returned to eat in the hotel/pub on no less than three further occasions.

I join with my fellow TripAdvisor contributors to thank proprietors Dee and Andy. The review title says it all.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 February 2014

Stayed two nights in one of the cottages.What a great choice! Excellent accommodation, with everything we needed. Warm and cosy,despite the terrible weather. Ate in the pub both evenings.Excellent food, a great price and huge portions.Andy and Dee were the perfect hosts and nothing was too much trouble.The log fire was an added bonus and you couldn't get me away from it! The locals made us extremely welcome and we will definately be going back again.Peaceful and relaxed break, just what we were after

Room Tip: The cottage with a double bed was excellent.Everything you need is provided.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kirsty d
Reviewed 4 February 2014

I can often be found at the bar of the Portsmouth Arms Hotel. Sometimes I am just waiting for a meal - freshly prepared to order. I am fussy about what I eat, as I am sure Andy would agree, but Dee never fails to come up with something delicious. Andy also does a mean vegetarian breakfast! I know I can take friends there who need gluten free diets as Dee is quite happy to provide them with a bit of notice. I also do not hesitate to suggest it to friends when they are visiting the area. The rooms are comfortable, and not loaded with a heavy single supplement. The two adjacent cottages are a delight.

Oh, I nearly forgot to mention the company - for this is a country pub with some regular characters. It makes for good conversation, sometimes even serious. You can go in a stranger and be included in the conversation within minutes. There are not many places where I am happy to go in on my own as a woman. Here you do not need to feel awkward. If you are travelling solo and want a reasonably priced country break this would be ideal. The valley is quiet, the surrounding countryside lovely and there is plenty to do within 20 miles. You may even see my camper van in the car park - they allow overnight stops.

Room Tip: Ask for a cottage.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Stayed over the New Year - Dee and Andy are the perfect hosts, warm and welcoming. Accommodation is very comfortable and warm, great facilities. Good food and drink, we had a great time. Thank you for looking after us again. Penny & Les

Room Tip: All rooms are good
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Umberleigh
Highbullen Hotel
Travellers Rest Old Church B & B
Rosie Banks B&B
Rosie Banks B&B
#5 of 7 in Umberleigh

Been to The Portsmouth Arms Inn? Share your experiences!