“A mixed bag of food!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The White Hart Inn

The White Hart Inn
Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
The White Hart Inn
Ranked #3 of 3 Wilmington B&B and Inns
Reading, United Kingdom
“A mixed bag of food!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

I had to write this review as I was so disappointed with my meal! We have just come back from a great week away in our motorhome and having cooked for ourselves most of the time, we were looking forward to another delicious home cooked pub meal as we had a couple of days before at a pub in Woodbury. On looking at the menu on the board, the prices looked reasonable at about £8 a meal and most dishes were advertised as home cooked. My husband chose the chef's homemade burger and I chose the homemade chicken curry. My husband found the burger to be very good (hence the 3 stars rating given rather that the 1 - 2) although he thought the bun could have been better quality, but my chicken curry was bland and tasteless, it was quite horrible with watery pieces of chicken, some chopped undercooked peppers and a lacklustre sauce with no colour or curry heat at all! It did not taste homemade to me (?), I have had better curries in the work canteen and believe me they are basic! I had to have cheese and biscuits later on back in the motorhome as I was still hungry after leaving half the dish! Wish I'd had the steak as it looks like that gets cooked well according to the reviews although won't be going back there to eat! I suggest that chef tastes the food in future before serving and finds and tests a good curry recipe before putting it in the board again!

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank IndeLin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Essex, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

We stayed for one night on way to Cornwall. Warm welcome and shown to room 1. The room was very comfortable. Some noise from the road but this would not stop us staying here again. Good choice of food for evening meal. Excellent breakfast coked to order. Excellent value and would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
1 Thank Bubblejak
maidstone
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

this welcoming pub ! The landlady was friendly and chatty. We didn't intend to eat as we had had a big breakfast, but decided to share a prawn cocktail. It came out on a plate, with a huge pile of prawns, sauce on top of the prawns, a fresh salad and roll and butter... all for £4.75 or was it £4.95...! Excellent value. The chef is only 19 but he was polite and obviously enjoys his work. The food is good pub fare, nothing fancy but something for everyone. 0h - and they have 3 bedrooms - bet the breakfast is good !

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Worcester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

Travelling South and becoming very tired and hungry we needed an overnight stop and some food.
That's what we got.
Car parked, accommodation sorted out very quickly, a bath and then to the bar.
Early evening, fish and chips, [good pub quality]. a couple of beers then off to bed.
Breakfast was a really friendly chatty affair, with food cooked just as I requested.

I wouldn't stay for a week, but I would recommend a two night stop if you're exploring the West Country.

So why excellent ? Because I got just what I needed when I needed it !
Simples...........

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
Plymouth, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

A warm welcome to the White Hart on entering was forthcoming and the service was good, there was an open fire in the bar area but no other heating on where we were sat so my wife got cold during our lunch!
Drinks were fine and food ordered, the starters arrived in less than ten minutes which was good (We did order behind another couple so expected a longer wait) both starters were enjoyable my soup was very nice and the wifes Prawn cocktail was very good; plates cleared and after a short wait the main course arrived my Ham, Egg and Chips served with a side salad was very nice (Chips were tops) however my wife Fish and Chip were disappointing the chips were good but the fish was soggy and possibly uncooked in the middle so most of it was left on the plate - the fish was clearly out of a box cooked from frozen not fresh as she was hoping for.
We will give the place a second chance in passing as I believe this was just a one of error - watch this space.

Room Tip: Don't have the Fish and Chips!!!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank David R
Bridport, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013

Stopped to have what we hoped would be a cosy pub lunch after a morning trip to Exeter. There were no fires going in either fireplace and my prawn in Rose Marie sauce baguette was inedible; the prawns (bits and pieces) were literally buried in a thick, glutinous and slightly bitter sauce. I wondered if the chef had made it with heavy-duty mayo and a lot of tomato puree. When the waitress finally asked if we were through, I did say the sandwich, all of it left, had been pretty awful, though we would pay for it. There was no apology from the waitress or the manager and certainly no suggestion that we not pay the full £6.95. Maybe they were having a bad day, or maybe they just saw us as one-off customers, just eating lunch, never to be heard from again!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Anne R
Derby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2013

6 of us, 2 children, had a great pub meal here.
Good quality food from a limited range at a reasonable price.
Friendly and very helpful service.
Would definitely visit again.
It was strangely quiet for a Friday night but we were warmly welcomed and they coped with the children well.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wilmington
Home Farm Hotel
Wellington Farm Bed & Breakfast
Rose Farm B&B
Rose Farm B&B
#2 of 3 in Wilmington

Been to The White Hart Inn? Share your experiences!