“Shockingly disappointing; felt cheated;”
Review of The Maltsters Arms

The Maltsters Arms
Ranked #1 of 4 Restaurants in Woodbury
Price range: US$1 - US$65
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 14 August 2017

Having eaten here before, we looked forward to our meal when we saw Seafood Platter on the menu as a main and also starter. My step-son in law had it as a starter ... my wife and I were then exceedingly disappointed when our "mains"turned up - looking much as the starter, but on a bigger plate with slightly more salad and some sauce drizzled over the plates. We did not even get whole mackerel fillets - merely about 25% of the tail end and the prawns were smothered in 1000 isle dressing and about what you get in a prawn cocktail starter. Small egg cup sized portion of crab and a smidgen of salmon I believe, plus salad garnish. Complained upon delivery to waitress and asked her to pass on comments to owner/manager. Towards the end of the meal waitress asked if everything was Ok! .... and obviously had not told manager. Manager came out, not especially sympathetic and told us that no one else had complained about quantity / food etc with their "special" platter. To cut the story short, we were offered free desserts or just to pay for the 2 main platters as a starter (at £7.95 each rather than £15.95 each) . Took the latter - but felt totally cheated - would never have wanted to eat out with just a starter - and it was a very poor 'platter" anyway, what with cuts from mackerel fillets, sauce all over small peeled prawns etc. Having failed to deliver mains sized meals, it is infuriating to be charged for both these as starters - there is NO compensation for us (we were given and paid for 3 starters - so no loss to pub, but we lost out on being able to enjoy a proper main course. We spent £85 in there and now realise that apart from their "special offers - like 2 steaks + wine for £25, they seriously over priced and under deliver. To cap it all, when we asked for the revised bill, it came back with extra drink listed (but certainly not ordered or drunk)

1  Thank SteveLNewton

Reviewed 3 August 2017

My husband and I decided to just pop in and even though it was busy they found us a table so that we could have some food. The menu was not extensive but there was more than enough choice, we both opted for the Homemade Beef & Ale pie with potatoes and seasonal veg. I have to say that the pie was the best I have ever tasted, absolutely delicious. The staff were very lovely and helpful we will definitely be going back.

1  Thank Victoria J
Reviewed 1 August 2017

A nice, clean pub, with a great bar selection and really good quality food. We really enjoyed our lunches - my wife had the roast beef dinner, and I had the gammon, while our 2 daughters had pasta (a bit pricey at £6.95). A beer garden that is safe for kids, and a large car park. The dining area is quite small, so I would recommend booking.

Reviewed 26 July 2017

Went to this pub for an evening meal with friends. The food was freshly cooked - tasty fish in crisp batter and chips with a good texture. Loved the Otter Amber beer. Friendly service. Good value for money. Nice atmosphere - a real local pub. Vegetarian,vegan and gluten free options clearly marked on the menu.

Reviewed 20 July 2017 via mobile

Another day of touring east Devon and another excellent choice. Varied menu with a lot of gluten free choices. Liver and bacon was excellent and the sticky toffee pudding was gf and tasted lovely. Coffee was good too!