“An experience of two perceptions” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Woodbury Park Hotel & Golf Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Woodbury
Louth, United Kingdom
“An experience of two perceptions”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2013

My review is mostly to do with the hotel itself. My wife and I stayed for two nights and played golf on two days. The Course was immaculate and provided the challenge in stunning countryside with views that are so impressive.
Reception staff were friendly and helpful and the room was of good size and with facilities one would expect of a quality Hotel. It was the fact that the rooms were starting to show their age and design, with some paint in the bathrooms bubbling and cracking. The room was immaculately clean and well serviced so it is not the housekeeping that is in need of some TLC,
The design of the hotel is based on rooms around a high atrium, which houses the restaurant, and again, the design is in need of a rethink in my opinion.
We celebrated my birthday in the restaurant for a romantic evening. On the same night, we shared this cavernous space with three golfing parties, (totalling around 50 guests) one of which was louder than a football match. I have to ask why such parties are not accommodated in private dining rooms. It was a very intimidating experience, purely on sound alone.
Our food was good and whilst we expressed our dissatisfaction to waiting staff for the noise, raucous laughter and jokes, there appeared that nothing could be done. We did not delay our departure on finishing the meal.
One final point, we ordered a Kir for an aperitif, and was asked what that was? In any case, one could not be made, which for a hotel of this quality really surprised us.
The leisure facilities are very good and the Hotel is very geared up for weddings.

So, the two perceptions are of an international class golf facility which produces a first class experience, to a hotel which should be so much better, but not because of the reception and housekeeping, but by the design of the building and the ability to control the dining experience.
I would stay at the hotel again, but would not dine in the restaurant until the issues we experienced are resolved.

2 Thank Bently2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Solihull, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night on business with a colleague on a dinner, bed and breakfast package. Lovely room, stayed in 211 over looking the course with balcony. The pool was lovely and warm and the jacuzzi very warm, bordering on hot, great to relax in after a tough day. They have a cinema here but didn't get the chance to see it, maybe next time. The dinner was delicious, started I had the veg soup, main hazelnut chicken with blue cheese risotto and dessert apple and blackberry crumble with clotted cream, amazing. Very impressed with the whole stay, would definitely recommend.

Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2013

Stayed here earlier this year on business, although spent the days playing golf I was the recipient of a great meating in the evening, we certainly made full use of the fantastic facilities here.

I enjoyed my stay so much I have organised another weekend for further golf and hopefully a few good meatings in the evening. Look forward to the great service and great facilities.

They have no issues with single sex couples which I find a bonus.

Thanks

Rich

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

We are a retired couple and went to Woodbury on a 3 day golfbreak in August 2013.

Woodbury is easy to find and is constituted of a very attractive old building located in some beautiful countryside in East Devon. We understand that Nigel Mansell, the racing driver, has ploughed significant funds into developing the site. Budleigh Salterton is the nearest seaside spot with Sidmouth a little further. We ventured out to Lyme Regis (about 30 miles) and also to Beer which is a delightful little seaside village.

Our room overlooked the car park and was adequate although small and the furniture somewhat dated. Woodbury host the annual South West PGA and the tournament was on while we were there. There was late night noise in the car park, but the main drawback was men behaving badly in the restaurant and also the filthy condition of the gents loos which were left overnight.

Generally the staff were attentive and helpful.

The food was good. There was an adequate breakfast and dinner was excellently presented.

The health club and spa were fine with all the usual attractions and a 20 metre indoor pool with jacuzzie and sauna.

The golf course is a true championship course of some 7300yds off the back tees (6800 yds off the yellows for an old hacker like me) and has an attractive 18th of 130 yds over a lake in full view of the huge clubhouse patio and conservatory - very intimidating! The main drawback with the course is its proprietory nature which ensures that it is very busy. During our visit there were large queues on some of the holes such as those you might encounter on local authority courses or typical 'pay and play'. A shame really because we enjoyed the challenge posed by the course.

Tip: unless you enjoy the sight and sound of groups of seriously drunken golfers coupled with some of the health risks they pose, find out the PGA dates and avoid booking.

Pwllmeyric
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2013

After a disastrous golf break last year, I am delighted to say that our party of 28 returned this year to a quite different hotel. All the problems we had last year had been addressed & can honestly say we had a brilliant couple of days. The staff were very helpful, the rooms were well presented & the breakfast was greatly improved.There was only one negative & that was regarding the Slow Roasted Belly Pork which sadly was a great disappointment to many of our party. The rest of the food was excellent & pleased to say that I would have no hesitation is recommending this venue for a very enjoyable golf break.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

We recently stayed at the Woodbury Park Golf and Spa for a golf weekend. The hotel is located in a lovely part of Devon and the golf course and clubhouse are very nice. We found the course to be difficult enough for good players but not too daunting for advanced beginners. The clubhouse offered good snack food and lunches in the Conservatory and when the weather is good the terrace is very nice over the 18th hole.

My first impression of our room was of great disappointment. The hotel rates itself as 4 star (and in most areas it is) but the room was 3 star at the best. There were no pictures on the wall, the double bed was very ungenorous in size and bedding - I could have easily been staying at a Premier Inn. Added to this we were in a deluxe room. My impression is that there is not much between the standard and a deluxe room, only a balcony. I think the hotel is intended for golfers who aren't that interested in a nice room or wedding parties who are only there for a night or two. Like a Premier Inn you wouldn't stay there for an entire week.

However other parts of the hotel were not bad. The indoor swimming pool was a good size and the large glass windows made it feel light and airy. The towels and loungers provided were of good quality.

All of the staff were very professional and helpful. The best thing about the hotel was the food. On our first night we went into Exmouth and had dinner at a WONDERFUL French restaurant, Les Saveurs (see my review for further details). After such a lovely meal we were a bit apprehensive about the meal that we would have at the restaurant, but we were not disappointed. It turned out that the chef at the Woodbury had been the sous chef at the restaurant we had been at the previous evening. It was obvious he had learned a great deal and brought all of that knowledge and some of his menu ideas with him.

If you look at my other postings on Trip Advisor you will see that I have given all of my previous stays either 4 or 5 stars. That is not because I am a generous person but because I investigate each and every place so thoroughly and with a fine tooth comb that it would be unlikely that I would be disappointed by my stay. It is for this reason that I cannot give this hotel more than 3.5 (3 stars) because it did not live up to the high quality of the hotels that I have reviewed.

Bristol
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2013

A lovely hotel with all the facilities you would expect, golf course on site too. It is positioned away from towns so be aware of this as you will need to drive if looking for restaurants etc. Breakfast really good. Highly recommend.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Woodbury
Hampton by Hilton Exeter Airport
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,174 reviews
Premier Inn Exmouth Seafront Hotel
Mercure Exeter Southgate Hotel
Sidmouth Harbour Hotel - The Westcliff

Been to Woodbury Park Hotel & Golf Club? Share your experiences!