“Sparkly clean”

Woodbury Park Hotel & Golf Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Woodbury
Reviewed 11 April 2014

I have stayed in other 'golf hotels' and this beats them hands down. I was struck by how clean everything is - a real pleasure to walk into the room and the shower was superb - a free massage! The decoration was fresh and chirpy - very nice. The staff are all very friendly and helpful. They coped well with our party of nine golfers.

The pro shop people couldn't have been more helpful too, we bought lots of prizes from there and individuals bought items too as the range available was excellent. It was convenient to be able to charge what we bought to the room.

Several of us used the spa and the treatment room and thought it was of a high quality.

I hate to mention it but a little niggle was that the swimming pool area needed a bit of attention when it was busy as there was more than acceptable amount of debris on the floors in the changing rooms and round the pool. I was there for an enjoyable relaxing hour reading my book and swimming and no-one came out to check or have a mop round.
There was a growing mountain of boxes against the wall of presumably the kitchen area of the golf house which was rather unsightly for people sitting round the pool area (I was there a long time!)
However, I absolutely would go back again and certainly recommend the hotel to my friends and family.

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor are a bit quieter because no noisy guests above you.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 11 April 2014

Just returned from a 3 day golf break at Woodbury Park - we stayed in the Lodges and ate in the restaurant. The experience was first class from the moment we arrived, the golf pro shop did everything possible to accommodate our requirements and help make the break a great success and service in every area was first class. The standard of service in the restaurant deserves a special mention !! Thankyou Woodbury, we'll be back I'm sure.

Room Tip: The lodges are a great option for a group
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Chukklez
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Took a short break here for our daughter's 13th birthday (even gave her a golf lesson!). The family room was spacious and comfortable and clean. May have been a bit cramped with two children but okay with just one. Breakfasts were good but evening meals confusing - great on the first night but not so good on the second. My daughter (even though we paid for half board for her) selected the burger and chips each night which incurred a £5 supplement each night - a bit naughty when the meal choices available were cheaper than a burger! However, on the second night the burger, bun and chips were burnt and inedible. Naturally when they billed me for it I refused to pay - and yes I had sent it back to the kitchen. That aside, I would still recommend the hotel but advise ladies to take a wrap or cardigan into the Atrium at dinner time as it was quite chilly in there.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank MumsTheWord57
Reviewed 7 April 2014

We booked a load of rooms for a special family break away, and we were all absolutely delighted with our time at Woodbury Park.

The bedrooms are great - very comfy and well equipped.

Staff throughout were very friendly and attentive, and the food was just perfect. Lovely, lazy breakfasts, with top-quality food in relaxing surroundings.

If golf is your thing, you definitely won't be disappointed. But for us it was just lazing around in the pool, spa, etc. Just perfect.

There's plenty to do in the local area - lovely Topsham, glorious Sidmouth, enchanting Exmouth. All an easy drive away.

A cracking weekend away at Woodbury Park!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank MikeC_2006
Reviewed 5 April 2014

Woodbury!! So many chains today are bland with bland staff but not this hotel. The staff were amazingly helpful, the place itself lovely and peaceful. Heartily recommend. Eat in the Terrace Grill, much nicer than the Atrium and you will have the best food. It's probably a good idea to book just a room and pay for breakfast there. That's my top tip! But fantastic for a lovely rest and break!! Will go again when the bank allows .....!

Room Tip: Ask for one with a terrace
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 March 2014

I stayed at the Woodbury Park Hotel with a friend as part of a Travelzoo deal which was B B and Evening meal and we paid £10 to upgrade to a balcony and a nice room looking out over the golf course. To get there if you take the Exmouth turn off from the Motorway and then go straight on past Westpoint and Crealy Park, keep going for quite a while and you will see the Halfway Inn on your right and opposite that is a little road, carry on that for a while and on the left you will see the sign for the Hotel, when you reach the start of the Hotel turn immediately right and go round the side for the reception. The reception staff were very friendly and welcoming, in fact all the staff we encountered were friendly and helpful. The room was standard Hotel room, clean well equipped with the most powerful bath and shower I have ever had, in fact I put the bath on and left it for a short time and it nearly overflowed.
The big let down was the evening meal. It was in the Atrium, which in the morning was light and airy but at night it was dark and had absolutely no atmosphere, very few people were eating which didnt help, and the staff were all so young and inexperienced, in fact it reminded me of when we eat in our local college. We were handed a little sheet of paper with 3 choices of each course (obviously a penalty for travelzoo booking) I had to ask one of the waiters what one of the dishes meant and he shrugged and said I suppose it is sausage and mash, which it was (for £14!!!) I had whitebait to start, which was 6 individual whitebait, and you know how small they are! propped up against some lettuce. Then I had guinea fowl leg which had been deep fried and was tough with a little mashed potato, no veg. For sweet I had banana fritters (half of a banana with some icecream. We were given 4 very small half slices of stale bread with olive oil and balsamic. If I had to pay £30 for this I would have been very angry it certainly wasnt worth it but I suppose they think they can fob you off if you have a deal not thinking that word of mouth is very important. The breakfast was a lot better, usual stuff bacon and sausage was nice, it was a help yourself deal.
We had a good time because we havent met up for ages but there is no lounge to sit and have a drink so we had to go back to the room, I wouldnt stay there again but the staff were very nice

Room Tip: try to get a room overlooking the golf course not the car park, if the weather is good pay the extra...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank deedeeSW
Reviewed 25 March 2014

The booking process took 11 emails to sort things out, they kept getting my name wrong and then having us leaving a month before we arrived! The room was ok, would hardly call it luxury, but it was nice to have a balcony- though we did have to pay extra for the upgrade. Everything was just not quite right, the tv was way to the left of the bed which made it difficult to watch from bed, and the power shower didn't have matching drainage so unless you had a very quick shower you ended up standing calf deep in the run off. The bedding had a really odd smell to it, the smell permeated our skin after a few days, and the whole room smelt of it when we returned after being away for a few hours. It was a very sharp chemical smell, and I developed a rash just before we left. We had breakfast and dinner there and the breakfast was ok, not a lot of choice and the fruit looked like it had been out for a month- totally shrivelled! When I did order scrambled eggs and then poached the next morning, they were both pretty much raw. The terrace bar area was ok, but the food I ordered didn't taste anything like advertised (cumin and coriander had obviously been nowhere near it!) and everything had beetroot in or on it which was annoying- including my partners fillet steak. There was no chicken on the entire restaurant menu the following night so I had to eat vegetarian- a cheese soufflé with creamy mushroom pasta. The soufflé was underdone and the combination was awful. My desert was missing the ice cream it was listed as having, and the server didn't check on us so I asked for it when the plates were cleared- after he went off and checked that indeed I wasn't lying, it was meant to have burnt orange ice cream (the only reason I ordered that dish). To add insult to injury I got vanilla ice cream with a slice of orange. All the service staff bar one looked and sounded new, they didn't know the menu and weren't very friendly.

The pool was ok, but was half reserved for lane swimming and the other half was usually full of kids, the sauna was absolutely tiny and the Jacuzzi was also very small and busy. I did have a beauty treatment and it wasn't great, it started late and ran over, and I was less than pleased with the results, though my partner said his was ok.

It seemed to me to be trying to do too many things and doing them all poorly- are you a wedding venue, a golf course, a luxury hotel, a cheap and cheery stag/hen destination, a beacon for local produce, a conference venue or a luxury spa? What I saw was an expensive but average hotel with a pool on the side, and I certainly don't feel I was away for a 'couples retreat' or anything like it.

Room Tip: get a room with a balcony overlooking the golf course, not the car park- but only if you are willing...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Woodbury
Lympstone Manor
#1 of 1 in North Bovey
Sidmouth Harbour Hotel
Sidmouth Harbour Hotel
#8 of 13 in Sidmouth

Been to Woodbury Park Hotel & Golf Club? Share your experiences!