Twitchen House Holiday Village
The Fortescue Arms(Woolacombe)
US$91
  • Restaurant
US$133
Unison Croyde Bay Holiday Resort(Croyde)(Great Value!)
US$208
US$228
US$102
Westwell Hall(Ilfracombe)(Great Value!)
US$134
Hotels.com
Royal Hotel(Woolacombe)
No availability for your dates from our partners
2,013 results
All reviewson sitetwitchen parkindoor poolnext yearbeach retreatwoolacombe baygold caravanvisited twitchengolden coastlovely walkevening entertainmentlovely parksoft playgreat facilitieshalf termtouring caravangreat for kids
Reviewed 25 September 2013

On arrival - No sign to see reception (in dark) so abandoned caravan in road and hunted...
Given Pitch number...
NO ONE ESCORTED to pitch!!! (7pm) (sunset)
Drove round, got lost, drove round, Ended up tightest dead end, spent ages to get out space.
Walked to pitch...
Hmmmm
Hard standing it was - where do you put the awning up to then??? gave up on fitting awning and squashed in to caravan.
This was after attempting to reverse (but gave up) the caravan in backwards to pitch but couldnt as NO turning circles as Bank directly opposite road. Had to unhitch and handball in (wrong way) and the worst bit was up a KERB! not even low kerb. then had to hang on to caravan as pitch on slope.
So after 2hours of stress and wondering where the kids were gonna sleep (normally awning) we decided to feed kids tea and hit the sack.
Woke up to disaster... Awning that we left attached to caravan as couldnt see in dark to take down as couldnt assemble in dark (no lightling) & on concrete was ruined/torn in wind (it wasnt even that windy) but up here it is... Feel sorry for anyone in a tent! ****** do not go in tent unless its weighted down with concrete boulders)

Well anyone... all day to have fun - NOT! its always foggy (ive been before and always same) beautiful sunshine on beach and surrounding villages but not here. Your high on hillside and the fog stays and is wet!.

Ok lets hit the pool (outdoor shut)... hmm indoor pool is tiny... its just too small for the people who want to use it. and the lack of changing facilities is silly. Carefull when going in (get tokens from reception) then feed token into slot and pass through full height turnstiles one at time... Hard work with little ones and watch you dont get hands caught!

Hard seats in entertainment/club area. Staff including entertainment team look bored to death and didnt really engage - seemed like they being do this all year and were fed up same thing every night (i would too!)

Kids Disco was pants!!! didnt even play gangnam style (kiddies love this) played music that my gran would disco to (when drunk!) - if its advertised as kids disco please tailor it to kids....?

This site could be so much better, it is tidy and clean and looked after, the toilets/showers are amazing. Best ive visited.

Avoid if touring/camping - try one of the other sites.

Avoid if 1mph winds!

Avoid out of peak season - boring

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Woolacombe_Bay, General Manager at Twitchen House Holiday Village, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2013

Thank you for your review. I am sorry that you experienced issues locating your pitch, upon arrival our reception team give you verbal directions to your pitch and show you on the park map, you are then given a welcome booklet which includes a park map. Our Camping and Touring warden is also on-site, and is there to help if guests report any problems.

Without your booking details, I am unable to look into the specifics, but I apologise that your hard standing pitch was not suitable for you, I do hope you reported this to Reception whilst you were here, so that we could have had the chance to re-allocate your pitch, and look at moving you to a more suitable pitch type.

I apologise that you woke up to a damaged awning, we are lucky enough to be situated on the beautiful coast of North Devon, and of course, as with all coastal areas, we are more exposed to the elements and therefore will experience more wind than non-coastal areas, and unfortunately there is absolutely nothing we can do about sea mist or fog, although we wish we could control the weather at times.

I am sorry you were dissatisfied with our indoor pool facility, the indoor pool is actually bigger than the outdoor pool, measuring around 15.4m x 7.8m, the turnstile/token system is in place to ensure that the pool doesn’t get overcrowded, and as the indoor pool isn’t lifeguarded, this ensures that children cannot access without the supervision of an adult, therefore keeping our guests safe.

The Entertainments Manager aims to provide a varied programme of daytime and evening entertainment to cater for all ages, however I apologise the evening performing acts were not to your individual taste. I am pleased to read that you found the site to be tidy and clean, and that you were happy with the shower and toilet facilities.

We value all feedback, positive and negative, so thank you for taking the time to do so,

Reviewed 23 September 2013

Some friends had booked the weekend away at Twitchen via The Sun newspaper, however they had to pull out at the last minute and so we took their weekend away at very short notice. Two days previous to visiting Twitchen... I read the reviews.... We very nearly did not come as it sounded awful!
Upon arrival we were greeted by very friendly reception staff (it has to be said ALL of the staff we met over the weekend were warm, welcoming and friendly) and directed to our "budget" caravan expecting the worst.... We walked past some very nice vans... And started to feel slightly more at ease... Until we realised that the dirty looking tin shed down a slippery steep bank was ours.... Yup that is definately budget!!!
Our hearts sank again, but we opened the door and to be quite honest... We were pleasantly surprised. Yes it desperately needed updating, but it was clean and tidy (a few bits could've one with a deeper clean... But I under stand time is of the essence and it is the end of season).
I could pick on a few things, the tv remote was taped and despite changing batteries still don't work. The plug in the kitchen sink...didn't actually fit the kitchen sink (but a bowl was in the cupboard underneath). A few bits of wallpaper were ripped off. The gas fire could do with a bit of a polish, and the front of the cooker needed a bit more attention....but over all acceptable standards! Thank you to Charlotte who I believe cleaned it.
The couple who had originally booked it had a small child and an infant due to stay with them, but I feel they old really have struggled with the location as access was down a steep bank or over a very grassy, tight squeeze past a further three vans... No pathway... Which isn't good in the wet weather!
We did not have children with us, but we did sit in the entertainment area whilst the other children were being entertained... And they all loved it. Cheesy...yes...fun...yes! The magician Mr Eerius (misspelt in your flyer btw... Mr Eeruis) was very good. The staff festival singing and dancing was excellent. The adult game shows were...well...amusing...but a wee bit naff!!
The prices in the bar were expensive to say the least.... £4.20 for a bottle of Budweiser. £3.85 for a vodka and diet coke.... But when we bought two vodka and diet cokes... It only totally £5.90????
The takeaway was really good value or money... Although I do feel more variety in food choice should be good. We ventured to the old mill up at the golden coast or a delicious Sunday carvery!
The swimming pool was adequate... I've read the reviews of how dirty it was etc... But apart from sand around the edges... I didn't think it was too bad... Again a little tired... But I'm sure the new multi million pound build will help.
It was also a slight disappointment that the golden coast park activities were not available this weekend due to a scooter rally...but that's more nit picking than anything.
Woolacombe itself was as always lovely! Lovely clean beach! We walked from Twitchen to the beach...a walk I would recommend!
We would visit again....but we would either stay at Golden Coast or upgrade at Twitchen (which kind of defeats its whole budget holiday selling point). I have in years previous stayed at Clevewood House (back when there were only two apartments) and may look in to renting one of the five apartments available now.
Overall...good parks, nice staff, plenty to do, and in gorgeous surroundings.

Room Tip: We stayed in budget caravan B24... It seemed ok...but not very accessible
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Julia B

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am pleased to read that you found your Budget holiday home to be satisfactory upon arrival, despite reading some negative comments on review websites. I will pass your comments regarding the housekeeping and maintenance issues you have mentioned on to the team, so that these can be looked in to.

Giving the costal location of our Park, access to some caravans can be hilly in parts, and very few areas of Woolacombe in in fact the whole of Devon are completely flat, however if location requests are made prior to arrival, we always try our very best to allocate a suitable position.

I am sorry that you felt the bar prices were high, we are in fact very competitively priced, in comparison to the local establishments in the area, and there may have been an offer on Vodka drinks at the time you were here.

I am sorry that you weren’t able to utilise some of the facilities at the Golden Coast site over your holiday weekend, some activities were available, such as the WaveRider and High Ropes Course, and as you know The Old Mill Pub.

It’s great to read that you enjoyed the costal walks from Twitchen House, and that you felt the Beach Café offered good value for money. We are investing £2.5million to redevelop the site for 2014, this will include extended and improved all day entertainment centre, new food venues and convenience store, and renovated family attractions. You can be kept up to date with the work by registering your email address with us on our website.

We hope to welcome you back to our Parks in the future, and once again, thank you for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay at Twitchen House,

Reviewed 23 September 2013

Stayed at twitchen house 16th september 2013 and I have to say we had a fantastic time. Great location set in woodland. We upgraded our caravan to a gold and boy it didn't disappoint. Very clean all mod cons everything you need really. Didn't use on site facilities as we went out everyday so I can't comment. We did go into the clubhouse around 6ish with our 21month old twin boys for kids time and they did enjoy that. The only thing I would comment on is we couldn't get a signal on our mobile phones which was a problem as we had an emergency with our liitle boy which resulted with me running over to reception to get help. I must say Lucas was most helpful and got me the help I needed. Overall had a great time and would definately go back.
Mrs T Lewis
Worcestshire.

• Stayed: September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay at Twitchen House. I am delighted to read that you and your family had a fantastic time, and that you appreciated the woodland setting.

I will pass your kind comments regarding the cleanliness of your Gold holiday home on to our Housekeeping department, it is wonderful that you were pleased with the caravan upon arrival and that it was equipped well enough for your needs. I am pleased to hear that your twin’s enjoyed the kids time they took part in.

Unfortunately, our rural location does mean that mobile telephone signal can be very poor, and in some cases not accessible at all, this is one of the very few negatives of being situated in this beautiful coastal area. I am reassured that the help you required was there, and that our team were able to assist.

We hope to welcome you back to our Parks soon,

Reviewed 23 September 2013

We went to North Devon intending to stay at a different part of Woolacombe. I was going to stay at Chichester house apartments but on arrival the apartment was awful, so much so I couldn't stay there as it was making me ill.

Having previously stayed at Twitchen Park earlier in the year I hoped they may be able to find a caravan for me and my dog or I was going to have to make the 6 hr trip back home.

The receptionist, Georgina, was very helpful and remembered me from earlier in the year. She was very welcoming and found me a 2-bed bronze caravan (with Decking). It was clean, comfortable and even in mid September the heater in the lounge was more than adequate to heat the whole caravan. My holiday was great, the park is clean and the lawns are well maintained. I would not hesitate in returning to Twitchen and would recommend them to anyone wanting a clean comfortable affordable holiday in Woolacombe.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank bonjovi_jude

Thank you so much for your lovely review. I am so very pleased to read that we were able to accommodate you and your dog at Twitchen House, after your disappointing visit elsewhere. I will be sure to pass your kind comments on to Georgina, who will very much appreciate that you have taken the time to leave great feedback, and also to our grounds keeping team members regarding the cleanliness of the park and the well maintained lawns. I am so glad to hear that the pet friendly Bronze holiday home was warm, and suitable for your needs, it’s wonderful that you had another enjoyable stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to our Park soon. Aimee Watt - General Manager

Reviewed 22 September 2013

We hired a budget caravan, which we would have been pleased with - of course it was a little shabby and dated, but it was what we were expecting. However, the cleanliness really let it down. On arrival we had to raise complaints that the kitchen area, and cooking equipment were very dirty. The front of the cupboards were covered in grease, the work surfaces were dirty and the caravan seats had obviously not been hoovered- remnants of previous occupiers food were left on sofas. maintenance came out very quickly, and tried their best to clean grease, but left shrugging shoulders after being unsuccessful. The floor of the home was dirty, and as I had a crawling baby with me, it was not ideal, but as I didn't want to waste any more of my holiday time complaining, I cleaned the floor myself (with a mop I purchased as the one supplied was just as filthy!).
We bought entertainment passes, which was a waste of money. we didn't use any of the evening entertainment, as I didn't think it was suitable for my children (under 4), it was also far too loud!!
We used the indoor pool once, and I have to say it was the filthiest pool i have ever seen! The changing facilities were also filthy and completely inadequate.
This site could be lovely, but did feel quite overcrowded, and it was really let down by the fact that it was dated, shabby and dirty.
on a positive, my daughter loved the new play area and if you had a sea view caravan I imagine that the setting would make up for the short-comings. The local area is beautiful. In future if I want to visit this area again, I would definitely book somewhere else.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank 114Sarah

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review of your recent stay here at Twitchen House. I am so sorry that the cleanliness of your Budget caravan was not up to our usual high standards, and that you were disappointed on arrival, this is not the way we intend for our guests holiday to start. I am saddened that you found the kitchen to be unclean, I will pass your comments regarding this over to our Housekeeping Management.

I am sorry that you didn’t feel that the entertainment on-site was suitable for your family, for under 5’s, we have our Betty Buddy Club, which offers a variety of activities suitable for toddlers, which this season has included biscuit decorating, story time, making musical shakers and under 5’s ballet.

We do offer you the choice to upgrade your holiday home, and prices start from as little as £10, whereby you will then be allocated a newer caravan, some models come with decking and sea views, all subject to availability of course.

It’s great to read that your daughter enjoyed the new play area, and that you appreciated the beauty of the local area.

I really appreciate your feedback, and please be assured that the issues you have reported will be looked in to,